Get a grip !

Comments

• Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi Maiden Mum I think we may have gotten rid of the little blighters. Its odd they wouldn't go for the peanut butter in the traps or the bait in the dishes but they were scoffing the bait straight off the floor ! So I've been putting it straight on the floor and I last saw one 2 days ago in the kitchen running away from the pile of bait under the fridge. Since then no bait has been taken from the 2 places in the kitchen or the living room and I haven't seen any critters. Traps were a waste of money but at least I only spend just over £3 on them.

Today I have been to local shops and got a 50th birthday card for the friend of a friend I mentioned before... cost 99p. I also collected a parcel from Boots I ordered DS some of his favourite body spray for his birthday next month as it was half price £1.53. I got it now while its cheap, I will use birthday fund for both purchases but put them on credit card for now.

Still no appointment from ENT :( today was the deadline they gave me so I phoned them again. Apparently there is a delay as they are trying to decide which consultant I should see ! I've been told to ring back on Friday. I've also phoned my GP surgery and left a message for the secretary as apparently she can chase it up for me. Fingers crossed ...
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Well done on the critter front. I hope ENT sort you out v soon. I had a speech therapy appointment and they think I am cured now. Yay.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Skint_yet_Again
    edited 31 May 2017 at 3:48PM
    Yay its payday :j :beer: :T
    May has been a very long month!

Highlights for May -

saved £100 into long term savings
    saved £50 in xmas / birthdays account
    paid £100 towards bills - credit card paid in full
    -bank rewards - £8.07 total now £22.51
    - 2 bank holidays and a week off work decorating :T
    - more decluttering and cleaning (that wardrobe is still lurking in my kitchen)
    - lost another 2lb total lost now 6 lb :D
    - 3 lunches out :beer:
    -Night out tonight has now been moved to local pub. I decided to get a bottle of proseco in co-op reduced from £11.49 to £7.49 and a bottle gift bag £1.50 paid for out of birthday fund.

Plans for June:

-pay £100 onto credit card instead of long term savings to pay -hoover off credit card.
    -save £50 in xmas / birthdays account
    -pay £100 bills onto credit card instead
    -more bank rewards -
    - hair appointment made
    - lose another 2lb

- 2 birthdays this month, 1 friend tomorrow card bought and we already agreed not to buy presents and went out for a meal to Toby carvery last week. Also DS birthday - both paid for from birthdays fund.

-1 day off this month mid June not sure what to do with it yet. Would like to go out somewhere nice for the day as a treat.

Lovely sunny day here today - here comes summer :cool:
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    You are so organised. With all the building work and changes of bank account I have got a bit disorganised. I will see how much I have left in a few days once the dds have gone out and then if I can save anything.

It is sooo hot here I am supposed to be ironing but it is too hot.:rotfl:
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Hot sunny day here today. :) I've put one load of washing out on the line after getting home from work and am just finishing another load.

Had a good night out with the girls in the pub last night. Didn't drink much as I had to drive to work at 6am this morning so just had 2 Smirnoff ice = total spend £7.50. I really struggled to get up this morning so I spent the remaining £2.50 on breakfast at work. Then I popped into co-op on the way home and picked up some Pepsi-max on offer £2.

I don't feel very organised at the moment SW. I've checked my online banking and it all works out on paper but I have been spending on my credit card the last few days and need to get that under control as my budget is so tight I cant afford to keep spending, even just a bit here and a bit there and my credit card bill is over £300 already :eek:

Some of it will be covered by the birthdays fund but I wont have any other savings this month as the money will be needed to pay off the credit card. I was hoping to get some new shoes this month but I have revived an old pair instead. Am just going to read this weeks moneysaving email and see what the asos shoes £2 sale is like.

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    Don't worry on the savings front. You spent a fair bit on doing up the house which is an investment. I didn't save anything last month and am not even sure how much i have left after all the crazy spending over the last few weeks.

Good luck with the asos offer. I think they do nice stuff. I'm going to look later this week when i have a free moment.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Phew its overcast but really hot today. Wish it would rain and clear the air.
    I've been grocery shopping, some silly woman was shouting at me in the car park (she wasn't looking where she was going and then blamed me for her "nearly" hitting me and having to "slam on her brakes" when her car was no where near mine). Couldn't be bothered to argue with her. I think I will try and stick to shopping on a sunday morning much less stress !!

I spent £50.10.

total grocery spend so far £101.49 / £320 including last weeks credit card spends. Will have to be careful for the rest of the month.

Had a look at the shoe sale online but couldn't find anything in my size that was suitable so I will manage with my shoes from last year for now.

My shoe collection is pathetic !! Have just had a sort through and all are at least a year old, but most should get another years wear out of them. I will need to get some new flat leather boots for winter though.

Shoes - 2 pairs
    1 pair of flat black suede glittery shoes for going out in,
    1 pair of flat black leather for work

Boots - 3 pairs
    1 going out leather pair with small heel,
    1 suede flat pair
    1 flat leather pair for work - with a hole in the sole ready for the bin.

Sandals - 3 pairs
    1 white flip flop style leather,
    1 black strappy with small wedge heel & flowers on straps
    1 brown with glittery "gem" stones.

Trainers - 2 pairs.

I have put 2 pairs of old sandals to one side for slobbing round the house in as its too hot for slippers and I have an ancient pair by the back door for gardening. I will try and manage with what I have this year and not spend unless I absolutely need to.

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    Don't worry about having too few. I don't have many now either but if your feet are hurting then you should invest in a new pair. I hope the sales start soon and you might get some bargain ones.

Did you see any you thought were good on the asos site?
  • Skint_yet_Again
    It wasn't actually the asos site in the :money:moneysaving email and I couldn't find anything. I keep trying to tell myself I can manage with the clothes and shoes I have (but its not working :o )

To take my mind off it I have hoovered upstairs and tomorrow I am going to wash down all my skirtings and staircase and mop the kitchen floor. It hasn't rained yet but it has cooled down a bit now. The forecast is nice for tomorrow so I will wash bedding and my work clothes before going out with a friend in the afternoon to the local car boot. I have got my summer clothes out of storage and am starting to go through them and wash and hang them in my wardrobe now its getting warmer.

Have a good weekend x

Living off savings diary
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Good morning its a lovely sunny Saturday :)

Well my willpower didn't last very long :o Checked online banking and emails this morning and my credit card bill is ready so that means anything I buy now doesn't need to be paid until end of July. I also had a voucher code for 20% off at Matalan in my inbox this morning. It was meant to be.... I was filling my online basket last night but made myself wait and sleep on it. Result - saved 20% ;)

I ordered 3 pairs of cut off trousers and 2 pairs of casual shoes total cost after discount voucher £49.60 with free delivery click and collect, so I can pop in after work and pick them up once they have arrived.

Hope they fit. Have ordered size 14 where I have lost weight. Maybe being optimistic !!

Living off savings diary
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback