Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Options
    Aldi was selling xmas tree chocolate decorations for 9p/100g packet this morning so if you are an addict you had better move fast :rotfl:

It took all of my willpower to resist at that price :eek:
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I discovered this week just how lovely the Aldi ground coffee is. I have a new cafetiere that brews a lovely cup, and the Colombian roast (strength 3) is pretty perfect for me. It's not an overpowering coffee but has plenty of smooth flavour.

When I bought it, I used my tried and tested method with multi-choice new items of going for the most popular, the variety that had the lowest number left on the shelves. This method rarely lets me down and it didn't this time.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Drove into Lidl earlier for a big shop. It's a standard sized store, but the car park is small, perhaps 30 spaces at best. I expected to queue for a bit, but not for the queue to obstruct both sides of the road. The reason being 2 large Lidl delivery tricks were also in the car park - one coming, one going - and selfish shoppers in their cars just did not want to give them way. I saw some tricky manoeuvres from my vantage point on the road, and one of the lorry drivers wiped sweat from his brow. Kudos to both for managing so well in stressful circumstances.

All Lidl store staff work damned hard for their money, truck drivers included.

Noticed cucumbers have gone up to 50p btw.

Unfortunately that sort of selfishness is pretty par for the course in my experience. In my Aldi they put cones out, when a delivery van is expected, to block off two parking slots. It was like that on Friday when I arrived. When I came out I noticed that someone had moved the cones into one bay and parked in the other.

Parking in parent and child or disabled bays is common too.

The car park is relatively small and space is tight as I was only too aware of last year when a breakdown truck had to come in and collect my car when it wouldn't start!:rotfl:
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    Unfortunately that sort of selfishness is pretty par for the course in my experience. In my Aldi they put cones out, when a delivery van is expected, to block off two parking slots. It was like that on Friday when I arrived. When I came out I noticed that someone had moved the cones into one bay and parked in the other.

Parking in parent and child or disabled bays is common too.

The car park is relatively small and space is tight as I was only too aware of last year when a breakdown truck had to come in and collect my car when it wouldn't start!:rotfl:

Funny you say that, but I had a similar problem a while back and needed a rescue truck to collect my car. Thankfully, the space I'd parked in had room to manoeuvre in both directions once the car in front had gone. Had I chosen any other space then we'd have had extreme difficulty.
  • thedogsmum
    Options
    I discovered this week just how lovely the Aldi ground coffee is. I have a new cafetiere that brews a lovely cup, and the Colombian roast (strength 3) is pretty perfect for me. It's not an overpowering coffee but has plenty of smooth flavour.

When I bought it, I used my tried and tested method with multi-choice new items of going for the most popular, the variety that had the lowest number left on the shelves. This method rarely lets me down and it didn't this time.

Likewise with the ground coffee from Lidl - I love the Guatamalan one (purple pack). Never thought about the best going first but, you're right, I always have to go to the bottom tray to get one. Currently £1.79 per 200g pack and hoping it will be a weekend special at some point
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Just a mention for a small product, Aldi have a winter range of cup soups for 39p. I tried the mushroom with croutons and it is lovely as far as these things go, a scatter of herbs with crunchy croutons gives it some visual appeal. Ideal for a quick warmer-upper on a day like this.

Possibly less appealing on a cold day but new to Aldi and very nice, a 6 pack of 'garden' variety yogurts - rhubarb, gooseberry and blackcurrant. 89p, good value.

The rhubarb and gooseberry are lovely for those who like a bit of tang to their yogurts rather than sweet, syrupy flavours.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The XXL bags of coffee beans are back,also some limited edition Nespresso compatible pods.
  • VeGGie-STyLe
    Options

I get the Java strength 5 pack, which I know is FAR too strong for me, but it means I can use less of it in the cafetiere so it lasts much longer! - That's moneysaving for you!! ;)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Aldi withdrew its fresh custard last year, I used to buy this for the baby at something like 79p. I see it's now been replaced with their luxury version, at £1.49 per pot.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fellwalker wrote: »
    Last week in Tesco car park two grown women got out of their car which took the last parent and child space. I pointed out the error of their ways. "I have got a child, it's at home". What about the next parent who comes with their child that can't get a space?, I asked. "I'm only popping in, and it's for my child." They giggled insanely as they strode off.

In these situations I always remember a scene from "Fried Green Tomatoes"....:D
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure