Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,547
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Hi All,
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I'm new to all this.
    The company I have booked my holiday to Florida with have given me a free Centtrip travel card, preloaded with $50.
    Should I use this and then just cancel the card just in case they charge non-usage fees or something? I normally use a Halifax credit card when abroad.
    I had never heard of this card before, it's something quite new, apparently it can hold 14 different currencies with conversion at interbank rates. Their website shows the fees:

https://centtrip.com/personal-fees/

Assuming that you don't have to pay the £10 annual account fee in order to use your free $50, you could spend it on a tank of gasoline for example, then probably forget about it. Check the T&Cs that come with it, but I doubt they can bill you for anything when there is nothing on the card. It may be useful in future travels as a backup, but if your Halifax CC is a Clarity card it is better value.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Hello. Is there an updated recommendation for a prepayment card to use in Russia, mostly for cash withdrawals rather than purchases? I believe that Caxton, which is my existing card, doesn't work there. I plan to also have a credit card in reserve. I understand that Revolut can be used, but the rates might be high for cash. thanks in advance
  • eDicky
    Forumite
    I understand that Revolut can be used, but the rates might be high for cash. thanks in advance
    The Revolut rate for RUB at this moment is 94.224 to the pound, the mid market rate on XE.com 95.725. So it's a relatively small spread and likely better value than any other prepaid card.
  • I'm going to the west indies this summer. Which is the best prepaid travel card to use. the local currency is the east caribbean dollar(xcd)
    thanks milman
  • eDicky
    Forumite
    milman wrote: »
    I'm going to the west indies this summer. Which is the best prepaid travel card to use. the local currency is the east caribbean dollar(xcd)
    thanks milman
    Revolut is currently best value and supports direct conversion to XCD at interbank rates. Always have a backup source of funds.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-travel-cards
  • kazzybabes
    kazzybabes Posts: 341
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi! I am going to France for a week and last time I was in Italy I used my caxton prepaid and santander zero credit card. I recently requested a new caxton card as my previous one has expired, I can't find any comparison of it with the other pre paid cards on moneysavingexpert. Has caxton fx went downhill now? Just trying to decide what cards to bring! Thanks so much for any help :)
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    kazzybabes wrote: »
    Hi! I am going to France for a week and last time I was in Italy I used my caxton prepaid and santander zero credit card. I recently requested a new caxton card as my previous one has expired, I can't find any comparison of it with the other pre paid cards on moneysavingexpert. Has caxton fx went downhill now? Just trying to decide what cards to bring! Thanks so much for any help :)

If your Santander Zero CC is clear of debt, use that for all, including ATM withdrawals and clear the balance on your return home.
    If you have a Metro Bank near you, pop in to a branch with suitable ID and walk out with their debit card.
  • kazzybabes
    kazzybabes Posts: 341
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If your Santander Zero CC is clear of debt, use that for all, including ATM withdrawals and clear the balance on your return home.
    If you have a Metro Bank near you, pop in to a branch with suitable ID and walk out with their debit card.

Thank you! My zero card is clear of debt but I worry I would overspend on holiday :eek: thats why I like the idea of prepaid lol! Unfortunately no metro banks in N.Ireland (I think!) I will check out the fees of my zero card though, I can't actuallg remember if it charges for atm withdrawls etc.
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    kazzybabes wrote: »
    Thank you! My zero card is clear of debt but I worry I would overspend on holiday :eek: thats why I like the idea of prepaid lol! Unfortunately no metro banks in N.Ireland (I think!) I will check out the fees of my zero card though, I can't actuallg remember if it charges for atm withdrawls etc.

It doesn't charge for ATM withdrawals, only interest from the time you take the withdrawal. That's why you clear the balance as soon as you get home.
    The interest is around 2% per month on cash withdrawals. So if you clear the cash withdrawals or whole balance* after two weeks, without waiting for your statement, you'll pay around 1% over that period. That equates to a current exchange rate of 1.2365€ to the Pound. Purchases 1.249€

*(Of course purchases don't attract interest if you pay the full statement amount)
  • I've used the Revolut card last week in Greece and it worked perfectly with the app updating me after I'd made a withdrawal.

Plus:

The app is easy to use and order the card through, brilliant rates.

Negatives:
    The app logged me out and has asked me to verify via text, due to my phone plan ( Three ) I don't get overseas data for free so I was stuck with WiFi back at the hotel. I've not been able to receive the text or top up, I had to resort to using my Barclays debit card incurring a fee.

I tried to contact support via the chat app however it was closed at the time.

I'm back in the UK now and at work... in a poor signal area so again unable to receive a text to verify.
    Note:
    I’ve since been able to verify (in the UK) and have raised this with support (Via Facebook) suggesting they incorporate an alternative option to verify such as email.

Summary:
    The card works and offers great rates and the app is easy to use.
    I’m sure Revolut will improve on the finer details and I’ll use the card again next week in Brussels.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback