PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• Oh Kittie I would love to have bought some of the Rowan books........Hang on! I am not supposed to buy anything until all my clutter has gone. Duh! I loved Kaffe Fassett's knitting kits also and wish I had some now. He produced some lovely knits.

Oh dear! Now look what you've done, Kittie!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Eirlys wrote: »
    Oh Kittie I would love to have bought some of the Rowan books........Hang on! I am not supposed to buy anything until all my clutter has gone. Duh! I loved Kaffe Fassett's knitting kits also and wish I had some now. He produced some lovely knits.

Oh dear! Now look what you've done, Kittie!
    :p Several times someone up here has posted about getting rid of something and I've caught myself thinking Ooo, I would've liked that! :rotfl:

I guess my reflexive desire for radom things is one of the reasons I have had so much in the past. Other reasons could be described as:

1. Fear of poverty; if I don't take it/ keep it now, it won't be affordable when I do need it.

2. Fear of Wastefulness; it's not really good enough to give away but it's still got plenty of life left in it, I should use it up entirely. I adore using things up entirely.

3. Lifestyle aspiration; wanting to be the kind of person who goes wilderness hiking/ does a thousand-and-one crafts/ reads Literature rather than crime novels........

4. Whatever (it's relatively early and I haven't had brekkie yet).

Still on annual leave until Monday but am easing into a day of questionable weather. If it stays dry, I will go to the allotment for a couple of hours, if it doesn't, I'll think of something else to do.

Pretty pleased about yesterday's mending as I re-sewed two trouser waistband buttons and re-stitched the corresponding buttonholes as they were becoming rather worn (linen trews, not jeans, so not the toughest of stitiching originally). As I was using some Silko thread off a wooden cotton-reel, I meditated to how these old threads are head-and-shoulders in quality over anything you can buy nowadays.

Quality, in everthing from sewing threads, to whole garments, to furniture, pans, appliances etc, has been sliding for decades now. Sadly, there are plenty of adults who don't know that fridges used to be made which would last thirty years, they think ten is a good innings. At the moment, in my neighbourhood, several private houses have skips outside and I can see they're having new kitchens and bathrooms. The kicker is, these houses are well under ten years old, I remember them being built!

This built-in obsolescence greatly contributes to the appalling amount of waste and fly-tipping in our society. I hope things turn around again and that in a generation or two, people will be looking back on the current era in absolute horror at how wasteful and stupid we are. And that they'll be living differently and less wastefully themselves.

I've long joked that if I was planning multi-generational familial wealth strategies, as in for hundreds of years down the line, I'd be buying landfill sites. I have every expection of landfill mining being a thing in the future, as we try to recover the resources which we're wasting now.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • I'm taking a bag to the CS today. 2 handbags, 2 men's tops, a book and a boxset of a TV series that I forgot I had. I assume some people still watch DVDs!
  • Kaffe Fassett had a wonderful exhibition in the american museum at Bath, I went there with dh, we both loved his work too Eirlys

I did the second look over my craft dooks in the trolley and have recovered, as in rescued, 4. I knew I would look at them properly today and there are many designs in those four that I would make for myself, not rowan books but the likes of Kim Hargreaves and other good knitwear designers. The 5 going out are all rowan but the likes of designer fancy evening wear and young person stuff like crop tops and menswear, none of which I will make in future. So the de-clutter in my cs trolley will be going to the cs shortly, a drive and a 40p car park fee but I`ll be glad to see them go

I don`t know what next, I wait to be inspired
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    My fridge is 31 years old and I can't find another that seems as good quality (flimsy shelves that can't take the weight of a 4pint milk bottle etc) so it's staying even though it is a bit rusty at the bottom

My adored Braun Multipractic food processor died last year after 22 years and I sourced a replacement from Germany via Amazon. Woohoo I thought until it arrived. Let's just say I'll be surprised if this one lasts a quarter as long
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • wort wrote: »
    Oh my I'm in tears reading that post, from Greent of Daisy s. Thanks for sharing Daisy. Would you mind if I share it??

Not at all Wort, if it helps anyone then it's all to the overall good

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • Welcome new posters.

I have boxed up almost 3kg of makeup, lotions n potions and new tights n underwear ready to be sent off to give and make up so thanks guys for the info on this or the 2016 thread about pre owned makeup. I would never have thought of searching for this and wouldn't have wanted to throw it in the bucket for fear of 'waste' so all this would have continued to be curated by me ad infinitum. For someone who rarely wears makeup getting it all together Marie style helped show me that I probably didn't need 4 grey eye liners etc etc. And woo styley, the postage will be around 13 quid but I found a forgotten 15 quid when sorting through handbags so net cost to me: nil, net effect: stuff out and hopefully some happy ladies using the stuff.

More power to the woo !!

GQ, I agree re comment on mining the landfill. I've long thought there will come a time when it will become more economical to go back through all this stuff than try to find new metals/minerals etc.

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • Woohoo hoop de doop, just noticed I have finally got my new badge. *Off to change sig*
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    kittie wrote: »
    Eirlys, yes I think you are the oldest. I was a post war baby when there was still rationing, when my mother ironed wrapping paper to re-use it.
    I'm not far off :beer: born the year rationing finished :D
    daisy_1571 wrote: »
    GQ, I agree re comment on mining the landfill. I've long thought there will come a time when it will become more economical to go back through all this stuff than try to find new metals/minerals etc.
    One of the oddities of my life is that I have Zimbabwean relatives (an uncle was sent out there on the "make the Empire full of White British Settlers" programme. I kid you not :( ). Anyway, as an adult, he bought a small farm out there, and one string of income, for a while, was mining through a Victorian gold mine for the "leftover" gold and silver. When I stayed with them, I took photos of the smelting process, and went with them on the drive to the Zimbabwean Mint, which was the only legal buyer back then. It was fascinating.

Am KMing. I have a copy of the book of Seven Years in Tibet, a different edition hardback published in the first year of publication of the first edition. I'll try selling online now, I think, but I bought it 2nd hand for £3, hardly a goldmine itself :rotfl:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    MaryB - if you clean & sand off the rust and then re-spray it with radiator paint it will probably last another 30 years! I was given a bow fronted fridge when I was a single Mum - it lasted me quite a few years and was then passed on to the local scouts group. It must have been knocking on for 30 years old when I had it!!
    I was born 10 months after WW2 so the hanging on to stuff for Justin has been very hard to break but I'm certainly getting there - electric carving knife, a can opener and a slicer packed to go to CS
    GQ - sad to say a timewaster on Freecycle but may have another one interested - fingers crossed.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure