Dumped by parents - property overseas help!

Options

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't know about Spain.

So why post ? Maybe in preparation for your Florida-based garden furniture spam attack ?
  • ceebeeby
    ceebeeby Posts: 4,357 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    A wee update!
    I now have utilities, a habitat certificate and an apartment that is clean and furnished and a bank account.
    I am however totally stumped on paying the council or property tax. I spent 3.5 hours wandering between two local Ayunamientos yesterday (at their instruction) and am no further forward.
    Can someone help me with the exact name of what I'm trying to pay - I have found only one very lovely person who spoke pigeon English (lovely man) who had no idea what I was trying to do!!
    Also, any recommendations on property insurance? That doesn't seem to exist either!
    Thank you!!
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ceebeeby wrote: »
    They wouldn't have taken a loan out against the property. They don't need the money and that would just be spiteful

they're not deliberately nasty.

I had no reason not to trust her :-(

I don't wish to insult you or members of your family but it seems prudent to me for you to perhaps have a think about your comments above.

From all you have said, they have indeed been 'nasty' and are indeed behaving in a 'spiteful' way. What's so difficult about sending sensible and sufficient information in an (impersonal) email? At the very least, the information protects each of the three owners from all kinds of property horrors.

Call me cynical but given the repercussions from a possible debt against the property, I'd be bending over backwards to make sure that nothing so devious had gone on.

What have you got to lose from checking? If it costs you a few quid in fees, isn't that better than paying out perhaps thousands of pounds to fight off a looming disaster in the future caused by suspect financial shenanigans from the past?

Good luck with sorting it all out and may you have many happy holidays in the place through the years to come. :)
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can someone help me with the exact name of what I'm trying to pay - I have found only one very lovely person who spoke pigeon English (lovely man) who had no idea what I was trying to do!!

We have a house in Cyprus.
    There are several excellent ex-pat forums for the country and area with loads of folks offering advice (mainly saying in an Harry Enfield voice 'you don't wanna do it that way'!!)

I'm sure there must be something similar for Spain as there are loads more Brits living there IIRC.
  • traineepensioner
    Options
    J_B wrote: »
    We have a house in Cyprus.
    There are several excellent ex-pat forums for the country and area with loads of folks offering advice (mainly saying in an Harry Enfield voice 'you don't wanna do it that way'!!)

I'm sure there must be something similar for Spain as there are loads more Brits living there IIRC.

Good post.......Something like http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/ ?

or http://www.expatforum.com/expats/spain-expat-forum-expats-living-spain/
    No longer trainee :o
    Retired in 2012 (54) :)
    State pension due 2024 (66) :(
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,
    A wee update!
    I now have utilities, a habitat certificate and an apartment that is clean and furnished and a bank account.
    I am however totally stumped on paying the council or property tax. I spent 3.5 hours wandering between two local Ayunamientos yesterday (at their instruction) and am no further forward.
    Also, any recommendations on property insurance? That doesn't seem to exist either!
    Thank you!!

So far so good. Don't stress - enjoy your new home :T

Municipal Property Tax is called Impuesto sobre Bienes Inmuebles (IBI)
    Please note; Depending on your circumstances you may be liable for other taxes.
    If you are struggling I would suggest you ask your bank / contact a Gestor to advise and arrange payment on your behalf.

I would suggest you contact Linea Directa. See here > https://www.lineadirecta.com/Recursos/recursos/EN/html/home-insurance.html

I believe your property is an apartment(?) You should speak with the Community President asap. He/she has a similar role to a factor for UK properties. You may find there is already a communal insurance in place for the building.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • ceebeeby
    Options
    Please can I reopen the saga ....

Here we are 8 months and £9000 later and "I" have a beautiful apartment that it turns out, I saved from repossession with only 5 days to go.

I've subsequently stayed in the apartment numerous times and turned it into a home, including furnishing / soft furnishings ... numerous repairs etc. Put simply, I love it there.

The bubble of course was bound to burst. I have not spoken a single word to either parent since before starting this thread. They refused to assist probably knowing I was about to find out about the 7 years of debt. I have recently had a letter from my mothers solicitor saying she intended to go and stay in the apartment for 3 months and if I don't give her a key, she will get a locksmith to change the locks. She also wanted me to agree to changing the ownership whereby she becomes a 50% shareholder as part of her divorce settlement from my step father.

she has told numerous relatives I am preventing her access (I haven't spoken to her since last April!)

Any thoughts??
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hyee Chewawawa!
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well if you own 50% of the property, the share that was owned by your mother and her husband is only 50%, so her half is 25%. Can you prove that you own 50% of the flat? Is your ownership of 50% of the flat recorded with the Spanish Authorities?

You might need to find a lawyer in Spain to defend your claim.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • ceebeeby
    Options
    Yes, ownership is legally documented.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business