Switching from Pay as you Go to Monthly Contract

I want to switch from an Orange pay as you go to a contract phone, but haven't a clue as to how to go about finding the best deal. Can better deals be found on the internet or on the high street?

I am currently spending £300-£350 pounds a year on the pay as you go, so I think £25-30 a month will be about right. I would like to keep my number if possible, but will change if a significant a saving can be made. I would like the best phone possible. It is important that the contract and phone will allow a reliable service in Europe, USA and Asia. (The service when roaming with pay as you go seems patchy. Are contract phones more reliable abroad?)

Which companies are the most reliable and have the best contacts? Also is it necessary to get phone insurance this seems like a significant extra cost?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• andy88_2
    andy88_2 Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You will need a tri- or quad-band phone to include Americas coverage. Probably not 3g as it will not be so widespread. There are all kinds of deals in shops and online. Many now come with some cashback after a few months, even in High Street stores, though less for higher value phones obviously. Even without this, I think you would be saving.

Pick up catalogues from TheLink and CarphoneWarehouse to give yourself a chance to browse through tariffs and phones.

The best roaming tariffs are Orange, Virgin and O2 with its International Traveller Service add-on option (which can be switched on and off). All roamng tariffs are cheaper on contract than payg. Look on websites for more details as tariffs vary in different areas eg for Eastern Europe O2+ITS.

But if you intend a lot of roaming it would be worth getting foreign SIM as well, so you might keep your old phone
  • I'm in the same position as Asianblue - there are so many offers around but which one?? Are there any comparison websites I wonder!
  • terrierlady
    terrierlady Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Resit Mutton( May have spelt that wrong...) who posts on this thread runs a good site and lists the best deals at any time also Payless is clued up on phone info.
    my bark is worse than my bite!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport