Renting out your car.... Official MoneySavingExpert discussion

Comments

• dgbdgb
    dgbdgb Posts: 2 Newbie
    I've signed up and had the first rental experience with Whipcar - worked well. I'm hoping this will take off - makes me feel happier about having an underused asset - since moving to a new area, we don't use the car very often.

Whipcar team seem pretty supportive.

Dave
  • Deep_Ocean
    Deep_Ocean Posts: 553 Forumite
    dgbdgb wrote: »
    I've signed up and had the first rental experience with Whipcar - worked well. I'm hoping this will take off - makes me feel happier about having an underused asset - since moving to a new area, we don't use the car very often.

Whipcar team seem pretty supportive.

Dave

Are you not concerned about how well your car is treated? They could clock up your mialage and ruin your engine.
    If you wish in this world to advance, your merits you're bound to enhance; You must stir it and stump it, and blow your own trumpet, or trust me, you haven't a chance.
  • Deep_Ocean
    sicker wrote: »
    I registered my car to-day as it is a 2006 model and has only done 3100 miles. Might as well try to make some cash out of it plus give it a good run. Not really expecting much interest somehow :)

As said in my post and in my reply to the post above. Are you not concerned of how well your car will be treated?
    If you wish in this world to advance, your merits you're bound to enhance; You must stir it and stump it, and blow your own trumpet, or trust me, you haven't a chance.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I always hear of how people thrash rental cars. Wouldn't want someone treating my car like your typical rental car.
  • InMyDreams
    InMyDreams Posts: 891 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The feedback on the site doesn't ring true to me. People saying that their cars now pay for themselves or for holidays... but I can't find a single car that's been rented once, let alone regularly. Doesn't quoted feedback have to be genuine?

I also can't find out what the 'transaction fee' is.

And what happens if your car gets written off? My car is worth more to me than its 'market value' because I know it so well. It's all very well saying the cars are insured, but if you ever have to cash in on that insurance I think you would regret renting your car out big time. And what about any damage you notice after the 48 hour limit?

I think it's a fabulous idea but I just can't see it getting off the ground. Too risky for owners unless they charge high and too expensive (compared to rental companies) for borrowers.
  • Hi Everyone
    I just attempted to register with whipcar, but couldn't because of my car's history (but that's not my issue).
    Please read this extract from there T&C's:

As part of the Vehicle Registration Process WhipCar will automatically search for the Vehicle against one a series of third-party databases (including MIAFTR and PITO) in order to check the Vehicle's age, model, registration, and accident history. The results of this check will be assessed by WhipCar and WhipCar may at its discretion refuse to register the Vehicle. In order to proccess this check a WhipCar owner must supply credit card details against which WhipCar will place a £100 pre authorisation to confirm that this is a valid card linked to the address supplied. For the avoidance of doubt - no money will be debitted from this card at any time.

I gave them my debit card details for this £100 'pre-authorisation' not expecting it to be actually debited from my account (as it clearly says above). But it was! I now have to wait 3 working days for it to be credited back. I was not happy about this and it's lucky I have no bills coming out over this 3 day period otherwise it would've got messy! Check your account if you register.
  • Deep_Ocean
    Not getting off to a good start are they? I don't think I will be using them.
  • Do you think you are allowed to rent off your own family members? If so, I may have found a loophole to be able to rent cars of people from family and friends for very cheap!

I have just passed my driving test and my dad has a car which I am not insured on and therefore can't drive it. If I paid to rent it through whipcar, I would be covered on insurance temporarily if anything happened, and my dad could just hand me the money straight back, save the 15% transaction fee! Therefore, the days insurance would only cost me a few quid...is this right or have they put in measures to prevent people doing this??
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Do you think you are allowed to rent off your own family members? If so, I may have found a loophole to be able to rent cars of people from family and friends for very cheap!

I have just passed my driving test and my dad has a car which I am not insured on and therefore can't drive it. If I paid to rent it through whipcar, I would be covered on insurance temporarily if anything happened, and my dad could just hand me the money straight back, save the 15% transaction fee! Therefore, the days insurance would only cost me a few quid...is this right or have they put in measures to prevent people doing this??

I'm sure they'll have that loophole covered. And I bet they will find out when you or your dad make a claim against Whipcar's insurance and they find out it's the same surname and/or address.

Plenty of day insurance companies around for temp cover.
  • mrflib
    mrflib Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ribonstring: with regard to renting, their T&C's do cover your question. You must have held a full driving license (not provisional) for 12 months and be aged over 21. If you fit the bill then I can't see why it wouldn't work.

I've just registered my car on there - I don't know how succesful it will be but I suppose worth a try. In terms of people ragging it, I would like to think you could have a chat by phone with potential punters.

I would appreciate it if anyone could take a look at my profile and give some feedback... ?

whipcar.com/hire-my-car/mrflib
    Total Debt 31.05.2010: £4,500
    Overdraft: £1,700
    Credit Card: £2,800

Debt free target date: 31.12.2010
    Current Debt 11/12/10: £150
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income