Can two disabled people living at the same address both get DLA?

Say two disabled are married or live together, can they still both claim DLA in their own right?
:beer:

Comments

• limpy-jim
    limpy-jim Posts: 59 Forumite
    I would have thought they could.
    MFW start figures - August 2010 - 65,303 O/P Aug 280 Sept 499 Oct 499 Nov 499 Dec 499 Jan 6205 Feb 444 March 444 April 444 May444 June444 July444
    Now July 2011 - 51,586 - reduced by 13717
    Finish Date was April 2029 :eek::eek: before MFW Now January 2025 ( saved £9867 in interest already!!) :T Total Overpayments to date £11145
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Yes, they can.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yes because the two claims are not connected.
  • Sultana
    Sultana Posts: 84 Forumite
    It's also possible for both to be awarded carers allowance for looking after each other.
  • Hapless_2
    Hapless_2 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    YES I get DLA as does my daughter, I also claim carers for my daughter and my husband is about to claim carers for me, as advised by jobcentre plus.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
    grocery challenge...Budget £420

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    Yes you can on both counts. If you both claim CA you will benefit from the carers premium if on IS.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • emmie1234
    emmie1234 Posts: 237
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hiya, I am a carer to my daughter and as my husband has recently become out of work, I claimed income support for both of us. I recieve the carers premium too, but the amount of carers allowance I recieve is subtracted from the amount of income support I get. So I get 48.65 per week carers allowance and 71.30 income support. Hope this helps.
    Marriages are made in heaven, but then again so is thunder and lightning!!!.....getting divorced lol :j

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Trying to "up" my income and rookie oldstyler
  • welshcakes
    welshcakes Posts: 639 Forumite
    I understand why people are wary about having DLA and CA for each other as it can appear to the 'outside world' to be a conradiction in terms ie how come a person is so ill as to need DLA yet they are concurrently well enough to be a Carer.

However, it is not as straight forward as that as many of us who live with disablility as a part of our daily lives, understand all too well. The problem is that someone who is disabled to such a degree as to qualify for DLA is automatically assumed to be physically incapacitated so badly that they can't do anything ... but disability doesn't come in one size or flavour.

It can be physical or mental or both.
    It can restrict throughout the day or just whilst performing certain essential tasks.
    It can be predictable or sporadic.

My partner gets higher rate DLA and I have just applied for CA after 18mths of postponing as I felt it was my moral and loving duty to care for him and I felt guilty accepting a benefit payment for doing it. However, whilst I don't argue that the DLA he receives is a good ££ amount, the amount it costs to live our lifestyle around his disability is high maintenance.

I gave up work to care for him and there is nothing we would wish harder for than for him to be well again so that I could go back into the workforce instead of relying on a benefit handout to just about manage to pay the bills. DLA does not translate as an 'easy freebie' - our family's income (and therefore standard of living) is considered below the government's poverty line for a UK household.

Society doesn't hear much about the plight of a Carer - though I'm pleased that the issue of young (child) carers is gaining more publicity during the last 18 months. It's a bl**dy gruelling way to spend your life and it can be exhausting mentally, emotionally and physically which is why so many long term Carers end up on anti depressants and a diet of paracetomol and quick snack diets.
    Integrity is a dying art!:p
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,916
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yes, they can.

We do.

We don't claim as carers for each other, (no point, as it overlaps with RP and IB), but I think that "emotional support" is part of the criteria, so wouldn't necessarily be a contradiction.

Lin :)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,916
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Say two disabled are married or live together, can they still both claim DLA in their own right?

Phil,

Why don't you just claim DLA for yourself, and stop worrying about what happens if you are married?

Lin :rolleyes:
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure