Preparing walls for skim plastering

t45
t45 Posts: 119 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Preparing my walls and ceiling for skim plastering - currently using wallpaper steamer but unable to scrape off some bits on ceiling, chimney wall and also a chipboard. please see pictures. The ceiling is particularly stubborn as is the chimney wall and there are bits on plasterboard/fake wall that it proving tough to remove. Im scraping night and day and it's very tiring g- does anyone know of anything else I could use to remove the stubborn bits - perhaps a solution? Thank you! Pics below

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Still no photo....

X-Tex is good for getting Artex off a ceiling - It also works a treat on pain, but it does need time to soak in. For real stubborn lumps of "stuff", an electric sander with a coarse abrasive usually shifts it. Just make sure you wear a decent dust mask...

Here's one that is dirt cheap - http://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-enb623sdr-sheet-sander-230-240v/3348g
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • t45
    Thank you so much – this is really really helpful – having a few tech issue trying to upload my picture s- i shall keep trying – in the meantime I shall continue scraping! The sander looks great and I guess i could also use this to smooth skirting boards?
    Would a mouse sander also help smooth out the walls?
    Again, many thanks

• FreeBear
    t45 wrote: »
    Would a mouse sander also help smooth out the walls?

With a mouse sander, you'd be at it all week... Keep it to one side for those little jobs that need a good finish.

As you are skimming the walls/ceiling with plaster, you don't have to worry about it being smooth or particularly flat - A few gouges, dings, and rough patches won't matter as the plaster will cover it all.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • t45
    With a mouse sander, you'd be at it all week... Keep it to one side for those little jobs that need a good finish.

As you are skimming the walls/ceiling with plaster, you don't have to worry about it being smooth or particularly flat - A few gouges, dings, and rough patches won't matter as the plaster will cover it all.

Many thanks again – still cant upload pics – yes skimmed with plaster – not by me! Think the pro will use PVA as adhesive - i’m just concerned that I haven’t taken off enough and the walls are not as smooth as they could be - it’s darn hard work with a scarper and steam machine!
    Good advise ref the mouse to keep for finish – the energiser sheet sander sounds great – what else could I just this on? Doors – big surface areas?
    The X-Tex sounds appealing after days of scraping – i guess one would just paste it on and leave it and watch the mess fall off! Then I just pop it all in the bin! Can I use X-Tex on walls too or is it really just for tough artex ceiling?
    Can I get this solution at Homebase or Screwfix?
  • t45
    x+7j36yD57PJwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==ceiling - white bit
  • FreeBear
    W the energiser sheet sander sounds great – what else could I just this on? Doors – big surface areas?
    The X-Tex sounds appealing after days of scraping – i guess one would just paste it on and leave it and watch the mess fall off! Then I just pop it all in the bin! Can I use X-Tex on walls too or is it really just for tough artex ceiling?
    Can I get this solution at Homebase or Screwfix?

Don't think Homebase or Screwfix stocks X-Tex... Toolstation does though - http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Painting+%26+Decorating/d150/Paint+%26+Varnish+Removers/sd2889/X-TEX+Water+Based+Textured+Coatings+Remover/p83638 - Slap it on, leave it for an hour or so, then scrape it off. The mess can be bagged and dropped in the bin. It does work on paint, but it is best left overnight to work.

The Energer sander is great for large flat surfaces - Did a window sill recently, and have my eye on a door next. Also used it on a ceiling, but it was very, very dusty work.

• t45
    Thank you all for this advice e- just to give you all an update – in the end i just worked harder on the ceiling with my scarpers and earlex wallpaper steamer (this is a really good steamer) – it was darn hard work but i persevered and after hours and hours up on a ladder and sore hands i finally got everything off the ceiling! It was a huge challenge – the walls were perfectly prepped! As best i could and they have just been plastered – they look great – if i can work out how to upload pictures i will upload – the plasterer has done a great job!
    Ref the ENERGER SANDER from Screwfix – need to sand skirting and window sill – do you think this could be used to sand these areas? And if so is there a special type of sand paper i should use to get a nice finish - the window area is a little more important than the skirting as in view so keen to have good finish...
    Any ideas......
  • t45
    Thanks Freebear --I bought this energer sander from scew fix and it's brilliant so thank you so much for recommendation - ive started sanding walls! it's a great tool....but I have a couple of questions:

1. Can a hoover tube be attached to it to catch dust - I ended up covered in dust!
    2. The piece of sandpaper that comes with it seems to have lots it's stickiness and so doesn't stick on the bristle style place pad - is there a way in which I can attach the sand paper without the sticky pad/plate?
    3. In terms of different speeds - I assume there are different functions? ive just been using the one speed but it works well
    4. Can I use any sandpaper on this or does it have to be from screw fix and for this particular sander?
    ...much appreciated, a sander convert!
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 March 2017 at 10:42AM
    this is how i done it in my house
    take out skirting boards and replace with new and apply bees wax.saves painting sanding.
    add a feature wallpapered chimney breast if its still rough. and plaster the rest.

plus you could replace the door frames too..thats what i did and they dont need painting for years.
    might not be you taste tho.
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • FreeBear
    1. Can a hoover tube be attached to it to catch dust - I ended up covered in dust!
    2. The piece of sandpaper that comes with it seems to have lots it's stickiness and so doesn't stick on the bristle style place pad - is there a way in which I can attach the sand paper without the sticky pad/plate?
    3. In terms of different speeds - I assume there are different functions? ive just been using the one speed but it works well
    4. Can I use any sandpaper on this or does it have to be from screw fix and for this particular sander?

1) Yes, you can (and should) connect a vacuum cleaner to the tube at the back. Be warned, the dust will clog up the vacuum cleaner filters quite quickly (I use a Dyson and have spare washed filters to hand).

2) There should be a wire 'clamp' either end of the pad - You can buy 1/3 sheets that clip under the clamps (Toolstation is cheap). Downside is they don't generally come with holes, but that isn't usually a problem.

3) Mine is a fixed single speed. Just set it to a speed that gives good sanding rates without burning the surface you're sanding.

4) No, you do not have to buy sanding sheets from Screwfix - They are a standard size and available from numerous sources. For real fine finish, I've been getting rolls of sanding paper and cutting them to length.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure