How do i find out house prices in 1991

Comments

• arunadasi
    arunadasi Posts: 1,237 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Lincroft: no, this is not an end terrace. The house next door is end terrace, we are second in the terrace. The flat next door, exactly the same as mine, is a B.
    THAT is what I find odd. The two lower flats in that ET house and our house are all C's. The bottom floor flat next door is a C, and it is by far the best, larger in size than the others and with a lovely garden.
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    arunadasi wrote: »
    Thanks. What I don't quite understand is how to do this research. The only place where house prices are published (as far as I know) is in the estate agent's weekly supplement of our local newspaper. Is this what you mean? Do they even keep these supplements?

Yes. When I enquired at my local library they had the local newspapers on microfiche going back to the year dot. It was quite quick to look through and find similar properties.

Although it won't tell you the sales price, it will tell you the advertised price. The housing market in 1991 was such that nothing was selling for more than the advertised price. I reviewed the property prices from about 6 months before April 1991, to about 6 months after to get a good picture of prices.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,608 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Arunadasi - sorry my mistake. You can look at the Band B flats on VOA website and it will tell you if these have been reduced or have always been B. If they have been reduced, then you should ask VOA to reduce your band in line with these.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The flat next door, exactly the same as mine, is a B.
    THAT is what I find odd.
    And is a fair point
    The two lower flats in that ET house and our house are all C's.
    But it brings it back to the problem of which is right, your three or the other one.
    The bottom floor flat next door is a C, and it is by far the best, larger in size than the others and with a lovely garden.
    It may be annoying, but I would leave it out of your argument. With council tax bands you are always bound to get nicer properties in the same band. You have already said that you think yours is just on the edge of band B/C (£52,001). Is the other flat more than 30% nicer that would have taken it above £68,000 back in 1991?
  • arunadasi
    It may be annoying, but I would leave it out of your argument. With council tax bands you are always bound to get nicer properties in the same band. You have already said that you think yours is just on the edge of band B/C (£52,001). Is the other flat more than 30% nicer that would have taken it above £68,000 back in 1991?

Probably not. I am more of the opinion that all the top floor flats, mine too, in the block began as B's or A's (some have extensions, some don't, and I guess the A's are the ones without extensions), and for some reason mine was changed to a C.

Before I moved in some work was done by the previous owner, but only decorative work: new carpets etc. But it does have modern, double glazed windows; is that enough to raise the band? On the other hand, the next door flat also seems to have double glazing.

I guess I'll have to do some investigative work next week. I have already sent in my application for rebanding... I really don't believe they'd dare reband everyone else into C! Either they'll downgrade me, or leave it as it is. I think....
  • lincroft1710
    If previous owner improved flat, band could only be increased after you bought it and it is extremely unlikely a band would be increased just because property has been double glazed and decorated.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • arunadasi
    Today I took a closer look at my end-terrace mirror flat neihgbour, and realised her flat is actually BETTER, as, being end terrace, it has two extra windows and even a sort-of balcony (a small one just outside the window).
    So, the worst that can happen is that I stay in C and she is raised into C; sad for her, but it won't break her budget. She's a single working woman, dresses expensively and has a nice car. She'll be OK if they raise her band.

Down the terrace there are two Band D top floors - but both are two-story maisonettes and both have loft extensions, so no way I am in that league.

So I'll just hope for the best.
  • lincroft1710
    Arunadasi - as you are NOT her accountant you do not know what her finances are, everything could be on credit and she could be massively in debt. Anyway it is more likely that her band has been reduced, check VOA website, it will give you history of the banding.
  • arunadasi
    Arunadasi - as you are NOT her accountant you do not know what her finances are, everything could be on credit and she could be massively in debt. Anyway it is more likely that her band has been reduced, check VOA website, it will give you history of the banding.

You are quite right, that was presumptious of me, sorry.

Anyway... I had a look at my old paperwork fo rthe house and found out the following: the previous owner of my flat bought it in February 2004 for £129 990, and soild it to me in May that year for £144 950. Using the February sale price the Nationwide calculator tells me that it was worth £50 153 in 1991. So that is good news.

I told you I'd overpaid! But there'd been an offer on the flat so I offered the asking price, and got it.

I also realised that the former leaseholder of the property is someone I know: th eowner of an estete agency, who was once my landlord. I just might give him a call in the next few days.

Apart from that I'm just waiting to see that they decide.
  • arunadasi
    OK, I checked our banding histories.
    Mine has apparently always been in C.
    The next door ET has been in B since 1.4.93.

One other ground floor flat also had a change on that date: into an A.
    Will be interesting to see how this develops.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure