PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Comments

• nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :D I'm afeard of heights so no danger of me climbing ropes.

I blame a lot of my oddities on too much exposure to swashbuckling fillums on Saturdays when I was growing up. I am rather partial to a bit of swashbuckling.
    Can you have "too much" swashbuckling?
    To me, an ideal movie would feature a feisty damsel with a strong right hook, a svelte hero with a devilish moustache and a rapier, a chandelier/ candleabrum (for swinging on) and some superbly camp villians. Castles, pennants, galleons, pieces of eight, parrots, horsies and other misc are all welcome.

Robin Hood movies usually tick all those boxes, as does the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise.
    May I recommend The Flame And The Arrow, which includes castles for swinging on.

;) I occasionally watch art house movies and have even been made to read Kafka (miserable g*t) but I default to a good old romp if I want entertainment.

One of my pals recommends the Jane Austen with Zombies book (she's a uni lecturer btw). Can anyone tell me if Kafka and werewolves has been done yet? If not, I'm sharpening my pencils and getting down to it right away, that beggar needs to be wolved and possibly steampunked yesterday.

Die Verwandlung is ripe for something, possibly practice firelighting - I'm told it gains a lot in translation, I'm pleased not to have learned enough German to have attempted the original.

I tend to prefer escapism for relaxation, whether film or book, with a general preference for high fantasy and steampunk - blame it on Saturday morning swashbucklers and Jules Verne films.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Nooo the Lone Ranger and Tonto does it for me! And goodies have big white hats and baddies have bigger black hats...:)
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    your all mad here........thats why i feel soooo athome xxx;)
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    jk0 wrote: »
    Funnily enough, I remember my granny doing exactly the same with runner beans back in the seventies.

Could you do this with any other vegetables? Carrots maybe?

I'm not sure, it's only bean's I'v seen done:o
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • Morning all, back to the pickling today, will be chop, chop, chopping veg for picalilli, lovely lady across the road has promised more pears for chutney so I shall definately take her up on that offer and we went yesterday to the farm shop and I now have lots of pickling onions to deal with but they are going to have to wait until my snizzles go completely as I can't be doing with 'onion eyes' while I'm still hacking away with a tickly cough! Never mind, they'll be fine waiting. Someone here lit a woodburner last night, I kept going out into the garden just to sniff the smell, I love it so much, I'm really, really sad I know!!! Dull and chilly here today so will be keeping moving as much as I can to keep warm, we've started to clear the veg plots in the garden, isn't it odd how much smaller your stately plot looks when the vegetation has gone from it and all you can see is turned soil? We will be picking what is left on the big apple tree this morning, early I know but I'm sure someone is helping themselves regularly from it. I know it's not windfalls as I collect those every day and there haven't been too many this year and I also know they're not rolling down the drive on to the road, as there are very few squashed ones visible. I think it's a sign of the times and we'll be lucky to keep all the lottie produce this year too, there's been some pilfering already but ours is well away from the entrance and other plots have much more appealing things than ours for the taking. All in all the store room is looking healthy and much of it is home done which is extremely satisfying, I've kept it up over the summer and replaced anything we've used so I'm feeling up to date with it all. I had a little tidy of the shelves yesterday and found I've 10 packs of Mr Mash i.e 40 x 4 portion packets, I don't think we'll starve this winter!!! Have a good day all, Cheers Lyn xxx.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I watched the Lone Ranger a couple years back when it was back on for a bit. They never shot anybody - just tied up the baddies and stashed them in a shed until somebody got the sherriff. Then the baddies always got away ( the goodies never did) and they had to chase them all over again. Then they tied them up again. Either they were slow learners or were seriously into bondage.:D
  • craigywv wrote: »
    your all mad here........thats why i feel soooo athome xxx;)
    I couldn't agree more!
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Originally Posted by jk0 View Post
    Funnily enough, I remember my granny doing exactly the same with runner beans back in the seventies.

Could you do this with any other vegetables? Carrots maybe?
    boultdj wrote: »
    I'm not sure, it's only bean's I'v seen done:o

This page suggests you can use dry salting for a fair range of veg.

Thank you for asking, I'd forgotten dry salt as a preservation method.
  • Just in the middle of reading this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24184728

I have been thinking this for a few days now... I am prepping for food/cost of living price increase etc..

But what if there was a financial crash in this country to the extent we cant get our money out of the banks etc Like some EU countries over the last year or so???

From a personal safety view your money is safer in a bank, BUT if this type of thing did happen here, we are better keeping our money out of the banks, and buying everything with cash...

I personally think the government are not telling how close we are sailing to the wind financially... as they know most people will try and take their money out of the banks, ( a bit like northern rock) ....

sorry if you have had this conversation before
    Work to live= not live to work
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 September 2013 at 9:04AM
    sorry if you have had this conversation before
    We have probably had most conversations before but it's good to keep it in mind. The government will never tell us how close we are sailing to the wind because that would lead to people stashing their cash and would also precipitate a crash.
    I always think weekends are a good time to be prepped as imo that is the time we are most likely to see emergency gubberment measures. :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure