PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Money Saving recipes for Slimming World

Can anyone give me some ideas I have lost 2 stone on Green Days with slimming World but it has been quite costly with the amount of fruit and quorn that I have been eating. Can anyone who knows what I am talking about advise cheap meals?

Louise
Nobody is perfect - not even me.

Comments

• joannasmum
    joannasmum Posts: 1,145
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi I'm 5 stone down :j with another 4 to go :confused: . I find green days much easier moneysaving wise. Egg fried rice is a favorite store cupboard meal for us.

Boil rice and then spread out on a tray and leave to dry.
    Spray wok with fry light and add a tiny bit of ginger and garlic (I sometimes use lazy ginger in the jar)
    Chuck in any suitable stir frying veg you've got lying around
    Whip up a couple of eggs and sling them in and cook until nearly solid.
    Add the rice and heat through make sure its hot to avoid bugs.
    Add soy sauce to taste.

Another is eggs fried in a non stick pan with slimming world chips. Nice and easy and total yummy but you have to save your Healthy Extras to have bread to make a butty!

Tomato sauce with pasta or rice is another great one. I make up a massive batch of Tomato sauce in the slow cooker using tinned toms, peppers, onions and garlic. Freeze it down into portions and when I defrost I either add herbs to make it Italian, chilli powder or curry powder depending how I feel if I'm making chilli or curry I normally add root veg such as carrots swede and sometime potatoes just depends what I have in.

Will proberbly think of more and will get back to you

HTH
    Sorting my life out one day at a time
  • Hi

I've been on and off the Slimming World plan for some time now, the first time I lost 2 stone and then had a crisis and almost put it all back. Before Xmas lost almost that amount again and tried to be good over that period but it wasn't easy.

Anyway I find having lots of pasta (I buy mine from Lidl when I can as it is normally half the price of the other shops) and cook it with frozen mixed veg which is cheap. Baked spuds are great too, filling but not pricey. Do you have a market near you? Normally fruit and veg is cheaper from them and also from farm shops if you are near enough. Eggs are cheap, can be made into lovely omlettes and scrambled eggs. One of the best meals is veg curry made with red lentils and mixed veg and served with rice. Slimming and cheap plus it can be frozen.

Hope this may help abit, good luck with the slimming and the saving!
    Miss Moneybags ;)
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Interestingly I was just thinking of starting the plan again tomorrow and wondering if I could manage it on the tight food budget we are living on at the moment.

I've generally used my Healthy extras for cereal and a meat portion at night and then had jacket spuds or omolettes etc for lunch...that egg fried rice sounds lovely, also tesco value savoury rice and value noodles. I guess it depends if you prefer a sandwich at lunch....

Then at night I can eat just as I would have normally but making sure the meat portions are right for the amount of people ( if you know what I mean).

So chilli, bolognaise,beefy mince ( minced beef, onions, mushrooms,measured out gravy powder, water to get to the right consistancy and some soya sauce) cottage pie but don't put butter in the mash or just do the base and serve with jacket potato.

bacon, onions, tinned tomatoes and basil served with pasta/spaghetti.
    bacon in rice with onions, peppers , mushrooms, some thai spice and soya sauce.

I think you could probably make most dishes Slimming World friendly by doing that.

Of course if your a vegie you could just not use quorn but bulk out with extra veg....
  • Thanks for starting this thread. I lost nearly five stone on Slimming World but am starting to put it back on because I am trying to save money.

Green days leave me hungry I find. I wish they would bring out a budget cookbook.

Does anyone find out the nearer the target they are the less likely the free food principle i.e. eating as much as you want of certain foods dosen't seem to work any more?

I have noticed with weightwatchers - (i joined for a week didn't like the lady ) - the lower your weight goes the less points you are allowed. Its just how to adapt this to slimming world with some degree of accuracy.

Hilary
  • Thanks to all of you for your inspiration.
    I think that the nearer you are to your goal the less syns you have Hilly. When you are nearly there then you cut down to 5. Apparently you should never have to cut your portions. I suppose another thing you could try is to increase your activity a bit. Also try speed foods such as petit pois, strawberrys (half price in most supermarkets at the mo), white fish and shellfish and quorn.

I hated weightwatchers as I was soooooo reluctant to give up my points to lose the weight!!!!!

I am going to try making tom sauce in sc and putting lentils in my veg curry.
    I have to say that I never go hungry sometimes peckish but never hungry!

Keep the ideas coming if you can.

Louise
    Nobody is perfect - not even me.
  • honey28
    honey28 Posts: 1,546
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    What about good old soup - I make a large pot of lentil with loads of carrot and potato in it, you can eat what you like and freeze some if you wish.
    Cheep and Chearful!
  • Hi
    Having lost over a stone on WW and now put it all on again id love to give slimming world a go.
    Can nayone please explain the principles to me. I cannot go to the meetings as id find it very uncofrtable. Do they have a website? Any tip from anyone and soemone mentiioned Tescos value noodles. These I eat daily when im at work so can I continue with this
    Mad Mum to 3 wonderful children, 2 foster kittens and 2 big fat cats that never made it to a new home!
    Aiming to loose 56 pounds this year. Total to date 44.5 pounds 12.5 to go. Slimming World Rocks!
  • http://www.slimmingworld.co.uk/

My family has had a lot of success with this.

I need to loose 3 stone by may :mad: :eek:

Any ideas anyone???
  • http://www.slimmingworld.co.uk/healthy_eating/free_trial_menu.aspx

Explains about green and red days and gives you sample menus
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    FunkyFairy wrote:
    http://www.slimmingworld.co.uk/

My family has had a lot of success with this.

I need to loose 3 stone by may :mad: :eek:

Any ideas anyone???

I lost just over 2 stone in just over 2 months. I rode 5 miles a day on my bike. Had 3 meals a day no snacks and one treat a week.

And I did it. Needed to as I was getting married and needed to get in to my dress other wise it would have been bin liners on the day. Blue peter style.

Just eat normal food no special diet food.

Sorry can't help much more than that.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family