Iphone4s faulty

Hi - apologies if I'm in the wrong forum!

Just wondering if anyone had any advice for me. Have a three year old iPhone 4s which was working perfectly until I upgraded to ios8. Now the wifi doesn't work and Apple say it's a hardware fault and nothing to do with the iOS upgrade. (Which when you look at the forums is clearly bs as there are plenty of people having similar problems).

Apple want £160 to replace the phone :-(

Was just wondering if anyone thought I had any case against apple and where I would make such a case? Apple chat person told me I can't escalate my issues any further through them.

Is it reasonable for a 3 year old £500 phone to break?
Cheers
Sticklebrick

Comments

• Quiet_Spark
    Quiet_Spark Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    Is it reasonable for a 3 year old £500 phone to break?
    Cheers
    Sticklebrick
    It's not new, Apple say it's 3 years old and it's now worth £160.

In order to get Apple to even remotely play ball, I reckon the first thing you will need is an independent engineers report that leaves no doubt whatsoever that the software update broke the Wi-Fi (probably cost more than what the handset is worth TBH).

BTW, Apple are already on iOS 8.0.2 so if you are still playing with 8 then those 2 patches are bound to fix whatever they broke the first 2 times.
    Understeer is when you hit a wall with the front of your car
    Oversteer is when you hit a wall with the back of your car
    Horsepower is how fast your car hits the wall
    Torque is how far your car sends the wall across the field once you've hit it
  • It's not new, Apple say it's 3 years old and it's now worth £160.

In order to get Apple to even remotely play ball, I reckon the first thing you will need is an independent engineers report that leaves no doubt whatsoever that the software update broke the Wi-Fi (probably cost more than what the handset is worth TBH).

This advice is valid if OP bought the phone from Apple.

Also, on Monday Apple will release 8.1
  • Quiet_Spark
    Quiet_Spark Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    Handsome90 wrote: »
    Also, on Monday Apple will release 8.1
    They've realised it's still broken then? :rotfl:
    Understeer is when you hit a wall with the front of your car
    Oversteer is when you hit a wall with the back of your car
    Horsepower is how fast your car hits the wall
    Torque is how far your car sends the wall across the field once you've hit it
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    They've realised it's still broken then? :rotfl:

Possibly, it also adds in support for Apple Pay in the US and as the new Ipads are reported to ship with 8.1 unifies the code base. IIRC Apple have always updated IOS At the time of shipping new devices as the new devices have the latest revision of IOS as default.
  • gcn504
    gcn504 Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Is the WiFi option greyed-out and therefore can't be turned on?

If so I had this issue on an iPhone 4s which happened whilst it was still running iOS 7 so not necessarily software related.

There is a workaround for that which involved heating one corner of the iphone (search youtube and you'll find it - iphone 4s wifi issue). Obviously if you choose to do it you do so at your own risk but I tried it and it did work. Although the problem will come back again eventually (about a month later). I bit the bullet and ended up getting a new phone.
    Waddle you do eh?
  • AJXX
    AJXX Posts: 847 Forumite
    Just wondering if anyone had any advice for me.
    Apple want £160 to replace the phone :-(

My advise would be to either pay Apple the £160 quid, or, speak to your point of purchase and make a claim under the SoG act/consumer law.
    Was working perfectly until I upgraded to ios8. Now the wifi doesn't work and Apple say it's a hardware fault and nothing to do with the iOS upgrade. (Which when you look at the forums is clearly bs as there are plenty of people having similar problems).

Software updates can't break hardware? It's like saying I updated to iOS 8 and now the glass on my screen is shattered.

You can see from the forums that the issue is actually caused due to the Wi-Fi chip's contacts needing to be re-flowed. Which could possibly be due to it getting to hot. But this kind of thing has been reported since iOS 5, it's not a software problem at all.

I'm sure that Apple know what they're talking about, rather than a bunch of self proclaimed experts on their forums.

On a side note, the Apple forums are hilarious, you get 20-30 people who have the same problem, and suddenly everybody is proclaiming that it's a widespread common fault, threatening legal action etc…
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure