deceased partners wife says he has debts dating back to before we met 5.5years ago

Options
Lollipop69
Lollipop69 Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 18 October 2014 at 2:10PM in Deaths, funerals & probate
My partner has recently died & left me as executor of his estate. His solicitor say I have the option of placing an add in a London paper stating his death & for debtors to come forward. As far as I was aware, my partner had no debts but his wife has told me in Dec 2008 when he left her, he cleared out several credit cards & never paid them. I don't know if this is true or not & can't see any reason she would lie. We met in June 2009. Today I found a card receipt dated May 2008 but in the time we've been together I've never known him have or use a credit card. Do I place the add & risk opening a can of worms or do I not place it & claim the 6yr cut off claim point due to lack of contact from them? We have never received any contact from any debtors etc... in the 4yrs we've lived together so don't know if this would apply. I'm assuming as executor I'm responsible for these debts if they do exist.
Any help appreciated.
Many thanks

Comments

• BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 October 2014 at 2:45PM
    Options
    Lollipop69 wrote: »
    My partner has recently died & left me as executor of his estate. His solicitor say I have the option of placing an add in a London paper stating his death & for debtors to come forward. As far as I was aware, my partner had no debts but his wife has told me in Dec 2008 when he left her, he cleared out several credit cards & never paid them. I don't know if this is true or not & can't see any reason she would lie. We met in June 2009. Today I found a card receipt dated May 2008 but in the time we've been together I've never known him have or use a credit card. Do I place the add & risk opening a can of worms or do I not place it & claim the 6yr cut off claim point due to lack of contact from them? We have never received any contact from any debtors etc... in the 4yrs we've lived together so don't know if this would apply. I'm assuming as executor I'm responsible for these debts if they do exist.
    Any help appreciated.
    Many thanks

If the debts exist you cannot just put your head in the sand and ignore them.

That said you are not responsible for paying any of his debts. Your partner is/was. As executor you are only responsible for using his assets to pay his debts. You may become liable if it transpired that as his executor you had paid any bequests from his assets and not first settled his debts. So advertising in the London Gazette is a recognised way of showing you have taken reasonable steps to check.

AS far as I know any jointly owned assets automatically become yours. Is the house owned? In your name? His? Joint tenancy? Tenants in Common?

If the debts exist and he has left an insolvent estate then you need a solicitor to advise you before doing anything as an executor. If they exist and are less than what he has left you must pay them first unless they are no longer valid under the LImitations Act.

You also need to check if any debts are joint debts (with his ex wife?).

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/dealing-with-the-debts-of-someone-who-has-died

If you have an insolvent estate, do not apply for Probate at all, just renounce it.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is it his wife or his ex wife

It could be likely that they are statute barred anyway or will be come December.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    Is it his wife or his ex wife

It could be likely that they are statute barred anyway or will be come December.

Not sure if the same rules apply to when debts expire when someone dies. Is it still based on the date of the last communication from the debt holder? Will the clock still tick after his death or will it be debts due at the date of the death. I vaguely recall that the time between death and probate does not count. Maybe someone knows for sure?

Clearly if you apply for Probate it is unlikely to be granted until December, but that will only help if the six years have expired at that time (or possibly the date of death).

As an executor you are legally obliged to settle debts without delay. If you try and delay you may become personally liable.

But if there are creditors they may be looking out for deaths being registered.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • sithemadmonkey
    Options
    Were the credit card accounts in his name or his wife's name? Not the card, but the account. If they're his then they may well be statute barred (head over to the Debt-free Wannabe forum for more info). If they're hers then they're her responsibility, regardless of ho actually spent the money.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Wouldn't a credit check like Experion show any delinquent cards or debts anyway ?
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    As well as clarifying whose name the debt is in you need to check whether or not there was a final order made when he divorced. If there is not, his wife/ex wife might potentially have a claim against his estate if she can argue that he failed to make reasonable provision for her - given the length of their separation this is unlikely to succeed unless he was supporting her by paying maintenance or contributing towards paying the debts.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Lollipop69
    Options
    He is still legally married & as far as his wife said they are unsecured cards in his name only. She said she proved to debt collectors 3yrs ago she wasn't responcible for them but I can't understand why we have never been contacted by anyone if he does owe this.
    Will just have to post the add in Gazette & see what comes.
    I have been asked for grant of probate by his insurance/pension company which i'm told is 700-800 plus vat so just wait on solicitor.
    Thank you everyone
  • Shelldean
    Shelldean Posts: 2,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lollipop69 wrote: »
    He is still legally married & as far as his wife said they are unsecured cards in his name only. She said she proved to debt collectors 3yrs ago she wasn't responcible for them but I can't understand why we have never been contacted by anyone if he does owe this.
    Will just have to post the add in Gazette & see what comes.
    I have been asked for grant of probate by his insurance/pension company which i'm told is 700-800 plus vat so just wait on solicitor.
    Thank you everyone

you can obtain grant of probate for £210 I believe?
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    I would get proper advice on this as it sounds quite complex. You mention a solicitor and I would ask them.
    If your own money is very tight, try one of the free advice agencies like CAB, Legal advice Centre, or whatever is available locally (library will advise)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure