How much to remove a gas fire?

Hello,
We would like to have our gas fire removed from our lounge. It is not a fire with a chimney, it just has an "exhaust" which goes through the wall to the outside. We do not want to replace it, and so will be blocking up the hole, either ourselves or maybe the person removing the fire will do it. I'm not sure how much to expect this to cost.
Thanks for your assistance.

Comments

• Filling a hole in a wall is easy, especially a small one left nehind by a gas exhaust. Do that bit yourself, I would, did, have!

Expensive bit, getting a corgi guy to come and disconnect and cap the supply pipe to the fire. He's gotta be Corgi, don't get a cowboy or do this yourself!!
    Not an expensive job to be fair, as you're not replacing the fire, he(she)'ll cut the pipe down below floorboards and cap it off with an end cap. The cap will cost pence, and labour, well that's depending on what your plumber charges. Mine charges a straight £50 for labour, however long the job takes, 5 mins or 5 days, plus parts. So when I had mine done, it costs £50.45 + VAT. Plus I believe, when a Corgi guy works on your gas system, he has to check all other gas appliance in your home too??? please correct me if I'm wrong, but mine did, buy you kno what? even if he was lying, i'm grateful he did, better safe than sorry!

hope that helps
  • Just a sneaky thought try ringing british gas explain you think the gas fire may be leaking, I am not sure but they may cap it off for you free of charge? check first though? you may incur a charge but i did have my gas capped of for free when i bought an old house, they came round and condemed the gas appliences and shut the gas of for me >which is exactly what i wanted, thanks for the freebie british gas.
  • Bollards
    Bollards Posts: 161 Forumite
    Thanks for the replies.

Do we need to involve a Corgi engineer if we are happy for the short length of pipe above the floor level to remain (it is going to be completely hidden by furniture). In other words, to save lifting the floor, is it OK in the long term for the valve to just be shut off?
  • EliteHeat
    EliteHeat Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    No it is not.

If you are not just being unbelievably tight and think that a few quid is worth more to you than your and your neighbours safety, just explain to the corgi that you are completely skint and I am sure they will do it cheap for you.
  • ThrifTE wrote: »
    Just a sneaky thought try ringing british gas explain you think the gas fire may be leaking, I am not sure but they may cap it off for you free of charge? check first though? you may incur a charge but i did have my gas capped of for free when i bought an old house, they came round and condemed the gas appliences and shut the gas of for me >which is exactly what i wanted, thanks for the freebie british gas.

For your attention......
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=16110561&posted=1#post16110561
    Yes I know, you were only joking weren't you?

Corgi Guy.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • We have just paid £59 to have pipey a CORGI for our gas fire removed and capped at floor level (in SE)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure