What does it mean when dogs stand and stare at the floor

puddy
puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
Our dog does this a lot, it sort of looks like he thinks hes been caught out for something and his hanging his head, but its not in relation to anything

He's a collie if it makes any difference

Comments

• omen666
    omen666 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    He is looking at that spot to determine whether to have a !!!!!! there or not
  • puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    oh, you're so right, the little begger scraped his bum along the rug the other day and its a white rug:eek:
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    omen666 wrote: »
    He is looking at that spot to determine whether to have a !!!!!! there or not

Hopefully some dogs will stare at your face pretty soon.
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Jenner, if your dog often scoots his butt along the floor that is a sign that something is wrong. He would need to see the vet to have his anal glands examined.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Trying to remember where he buried his bone ?
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    He's keeping an eye out for dropped coins so he can collect them for his doggy bank and eventually head off to the Bahamas for some sun? :)

Failing that how old is he? Could he have any stiffness in his neck? Perhaps standing a certain way eases it?
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • omen666
    omen666 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    SnowyOwl wrote: »
    Hopefully some dogs will stare at your face pretty soon.
    Fvck me that was a cracking response.
  • I don't know - but my dog does this occasionally - stares very intently at the floor with hr ears slightly pricked up - I figure that either she can see some small insect, or, once I saw her do it straight after I had dropped a treat on the floor for her - I think she didnt realise it had come from me and was checking to see if any more may magically appear from the carpet!
  • lisawood78
    lisawood78 Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Mine do this if they see something move, fluff or a bug or anything really.
    It doesn't sound like anything sinister IMHO.
    Maybe your dog has spotted something moving about that you haven't seen?
    2 angels in heaven :A
  • It means he's possibly, nearly almost seen something move and he's watching to see if it'll do it again. Probably a dust spec or an invisible insect.
    The carpet's white, you say? Is it woolly as wells? Could be a case of mistaken identity!

My dog once freaked out and wouldn't stop barking in the house. I was 15 and home on my own, and it was dark :( Eventually I tracked it down to just the one room he was abrking at, and then a bookshelf. Finally, we found there was one particular book he'd decided he didn't like - Mort by Terry Pratchett :D I still don't know why he was barking at it, but he only stopped when I'd opened it to check there were no bugs in it.
    :coffee:Coffee +3 Dexterity +3 Willpower -1 Ability to Sleep

Playing too many computer games may be bad for your attention span but it Critical Hit!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure