Where can you buy chippings for a flat roof?

Loads of these washed off the flat roof and not knowing any different, I emptied the gutters of them and threw them away. Where can I buy new ones and what would I ask for? Also how deep should it be?

One other question, where the flat roof meets the wall, there is a small gap/ crack. What would you use to fix this crack as water has been coming in and made inside wall damp....:eek:
There are times when parenthood seems nothing but feeding the mouth that bites you Peter De Vries
Debt free by 40 (27/11/2016)

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,501 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Builders merchants for chippings - ask for flat roof chippings! Deep enough so you can't see any roof through them. They slow down water run off, increase surface area so the roof dries quicker and prevent sunlight reaching the felt causing it to crack.

There are plenty of fillers to plug the gap - liquid bitumen in a can which you paint on is usually used. Ask the builders merchants what they would advise.
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    We used on a flat roof bitumen mastic to plug a hole we then painted with a water proof roofing paint. no stones for us as it was a bay window. But as said the stones help the roof from bubbling etc from the sun
  • chivers1977
    chivers1977 Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    Thanks very much for your help - 6 builders merchants later, I found The Roof Centre who have them for £3.50 a bag 40KG. Any idea how many bags I would need for a 9foot sq roof if I were to replace the lot?

Thanks again
    There are times when parenthood seems nothing but feeding the mouth that bites you Peter De Vries
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    My flat garage roof doesn't have any chippings on it, it has a reflective silver finish, it has been fine for the last 15/20 years.

You may consider using this instead.;)
  • chivers1977
    chivers1977 Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    I'm skint and just want to cover up the small gaps there are at the moment. When it eventually gives up I will go for another surface. Thanks for the advice though
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport