negativity from others

Comments

• Over the years I've read so many posts just like this and it makes me so sad that some compers have experienced this kind of reaction to their success.

I, on the other hand, would just like to say that I have only experienced positive responses to my comping efforts. I've been comping for around 15 years now and got rather good at it. I have never, as yet, had a negative response from anyone I've told. In fact, I'm asked all the time what I've won lately and often feel really guilty if I have nothing juicy to report. Some people look seriously disappointed when I say I haven't won anything. At one point I almost felt like a minor local celebrity, so far had the word spread about what I was up to.

Recently I've taken a step back from comping while I concentrate on other things and I can tell you the only pressure I've felt about this is from the people around me. They hate it. I've come to think that my little tales of good luck give people a bit of hope. I don't know. But the fact I'm not entering so many comps seems to be bothering other people more than it is me.

It's a hobby, enjoy it. If you are lucky, you'll do well. Worse case scenario is that you'll join a community like this with like minded people who all plod on in a hobby that occasionaly brings fantastic results.

As for the people who react badly. Do what I do, offer to teach them all about how to do it. Explain facebook, twitter, MSE, roboform, email signatures, dailies, purchase required. Really go for it. Hammer in how long this all takes. I guarantee you, before your coffee cups are cold most people will be revising their opinions of whether you are just a lucky moo or whether you actually deserve winning that weeks supply of ......... for all of your efforts.

As a final thing I'd just like to add that sometimes even the most sceptical people can benefit from your comping if you just keep trying. I entered into a comp for a holiday for 8 people worth £12000. If you didn't win but your referral did, you won a holiday for 2 worth £3500. So I badgered all my work mates, about 8 in total to enter though my referal link. None of them particularly wanted to, but they did it to keep me happy. You can imagine how happy I was then to ring my colleague one night to say K have you checked your emails only I've got one that says you've won first prize £12000 hoiday, I have second prize as your referrer. How awesome is that!!
  • JamboDP
    JamboDP Posts: 41,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    This is my rant.

Don't people look at what they are entering for, there was a comp on facebook last week for a £5 voucher it had over 5000 likes and the sob stories were ridiculous.
    I used to enter 4-5 hundred comps daily, it has now dropped to around 200 due to the type of prizes available, I don't have any GK so all toys and kids stuff I don't enter, I don't watch DVDs so they are all a no. I hate rafflecopter and gleam comps. I have only ever won once on Twitter and facebook prizes have dried up. My best chance of winning anything now are the Mag dailies and the weekly and monthly mags.
    I do it just for fun and whatever I win is a bonus
  • mclarkie
    mclarkie Posts: 11,640 Forumite
    It doesn't matter what you do in life, someone will always find something negative to say about it.

F!!k em
  • sleepyjones
    sleepyjones Posts: 6,087 Forumite
    If you do anything in life, you generally do it for something ... be that Kudos, money, reputation ... whatever.

You're entering comps, giving up your time, next time anyone says you should donate your prizes tell them they should donate their wages, it's no different.
  • SuperWin
    SuperWin Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    That's bizarre - why shouldn't you enter competitions to win for yourself anyway!!? I enter for myself, my family and for presents etc.

I haven't exactly had a negative response, although I suspect they probably think I should be doing something else with my time. I'd rather be sat comping in the evening, than sat watching the TV!

People don't like what they don't understand - I basically don't tell anyone anymore, because it's none of their business. The only people that I may talk to about it are my very close friends and immediate family.

I gave up for a couple of years until last month and haven't won anything this month so far, so I have nothing to talk about with it right now anyway haha....

I'd say it's best to not bother talking about it --- but anyone that suggests you should donate your wins to charity is plain rude and should be told as much!
    Comping again after a break..... Bring on the wins!
  • jpwhittle
    jpwhittle Posts: 1,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    oh i do enter for myself to i just dont seem to win those ones lol. At the start of the year i told my husband i would like to win gifts for all the occasions in the year and so far have done quite well i think i have only bought for 1 occasion so far and have some christmas pressies stashed away. Im also swagbucking and stuff for my kids main presents if i dont win them.
    I love comping and do make sure i let people know it isnt a case of winning every comp i enter. I was once made to feel so bad for it and slagged of so much from a group of people i thought where friends i ended up very very poorly with depression. Since then i dont tell anwhere near as many people and i am to frightenedd to enter facebook comps.
    I love my hobby, I love making people smile and i love having nice things that often turn up just when we need them rather than just bills
    back to comping in 2017, fingers crossed :beer:
  • Yatota74
    Yatota74 Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Why has it got anything to do with anyone else? Can't understand people that feel the need to make nasty comments other than jealousy maybe.

I don't really tell many people that I do comping apart from my close family and friends and they all seem happy enough if I win something nice for them. And by the looks of it one of my daughters has inherited my love for comping, although she is only 13 she looks for comps she is allowed to enter and today her very first win came through the post. A lipstick from a youtuber she is over the moon and I'm excited with her.
  • andrew71
    andrew71 Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've had the usual comments of some people "well you do nothing all day, I don't have time" because I don't work (illness and disability) "Why bother nobody ever wins that you know of"
    But what makes me laugh is these people are quite happy to spend nearly £10 a week on lottery tickets.
  • I believe in karma! what goes around comes around!

If you are negative, clicky, unsharing and miserable then that is what you will get!
    If you are happy, generous and go lucky then that's what will happen to you!

I comp to my own rules, I don't enter for things me or friends or family can not use or things I don't like!
    I try and share comps if I can!

as long as I'm happy with what I do I don't care what others think! and neither should you!
  • Moneybot
    Moneybot Posts: 10,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The newt says what goes around comes around. A leopard can't change it's spots. You don't have to die to be reincarnated.

Toys will be thrown out of the pram but when?
    Rational judgement, now, at this very moment.

Virtuous action, now, at this very moment.
    (Wisdom, Courage, Self-control, Justice)

Willing acceptance - now, at this very moment - of what you can’t change
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport