PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    was really looking forward to a reduced pepper steak, looked lovely with salad and small baked potato but OMG cant eat it its so peppery its enough to blow your head off Ive already had two half pints of water and am still suffering. So just salad ad baked potato for dinner now. I`m thinking of soaking the seak for a bit and then casseroling with tomato.
    What a shame:( what about using it make a sort of stroganoff?
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 February 2017 at 9:51PM
    Options
    Evening all
    Interesting to see the different meal patterns.
    Me, I couldn't just eat once a day my system really doesn't like it.:( I eat at least twice a day sometimes three times. I don't snack and don't follow low fat and certainly don't calorie count. My weight is pretty static. I seldom eat snacks, mainly cook from scratch and don't eat huge portions and it seems to work ok for me. At the end of day it has to be whatever works for you :D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 February 2017 at 10:13PM
    Options
    I snapped... I just fancied "something sweet" and found myself opening the fridge door and pulling out the foil-covered dish I'd baked the crumble in earlier. Grabbed a teaspoon and ate it cold :)

Utterly .... stuffed.

When I was making it I realised the portions were wrong, but I shoved it into the first dish I had and did it anyway .... I now know that the perfect dish for individual crumbles will be those Charlie Bigham dishes I have. So I'll use those next time - and more topping.

That's the thing with "by eye" - and eating alone... you sometimes just go with what you've got, even though you know the ingredients are out of balance to start with ... you have too much of one thing and not quite enough of the other bit, but you go with it anyway... and there's nobody there to be miserable and say that didn't quite work because you had too much X and not enough Y.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When I feel inclined to eat, I do...no-one there to say you've eaten enough...other times I eat little and that none other person will not say, you need to eat more.

Only me here, so I shall do/eat exactly what I want, when I want....

There has to be some advantage to being alone :o:(
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • mrssnowy_2
    Options
    Hi all ,late lurker here.
    I have to have 3 meals a day-just greedy and like food and enjoy cooking.
    Porridge again for breakfast,but then I had problems for lunch,what to eat.
    I made parsnip and apple soup ,and then used up the end of the roast lamb from Sunday with an out of date jar of curry sauce!!
    Both smelled yummy,but decided on soup and toast for lunch. I had the curry with rice,poppadums and HM mango chutney for tea, and have enough left for another day.
    I think that I have now cracked the mahoosive soup pot problem-make sure that the ingredients only come halfway up my small stockpot and that will do 2 decent portions.
    It really saves the boredom of many days the same or the strange parcels in the freezer(why do the blessed labels fall off?)
    Agree with you PN about crumbles,love them but all my dishes are big and I do need some control .So I do jelly in small glass dishes.
    night all
    mrss
    You can't stay young for ever,but you can be immature for the rest of your life.
  • Willowx
    Willowx Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Which one is it, the only one I know of that's that high is the John West Dressed Crab, which isn't paste.

It was a butcher's special in the next village, they like experimenting sometimes it's pies with different fillings that I like trying, sometimes it's stuffed chicken thighs or bits of pork that cost almost as much as a whole bird/joint and I can never justify and sometimes it's sandwich fillings that I don't often buy as I don't do sandwiches but this took my fancy. Was 50p for a small jar that stretched to six crumpets (but would have been better for five).

Ingredients said 93% brown crab, 7% lemon mustard mayonnaise and sealed with butter. Had 4 more before going to the cinema tonight. Saw a preview of Hidden Figures, enjoyed it was given a free bag of malteasers and I get to take my own tea in with me. Off to see what I can find to eat as hungry again, think will probably go for the last of the mini sausage rolls which I bought for my lunch box.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 16 February 2017 at 12:49AM
    Options
    Willowx wrote: »
    ... stretched to six crumpets (but would have been better for five). ...
    I hate it when that happens.... you try to get the portions right, but then you realise you've either had to skimp the last bit, or overload the last crumpet, sometimes ending up with a double portion on the last one, just to prevent having a teaspoon of something lurking around :)
    Ingredients said 93% brown crab, 7% lemon mustard mayonnaise and sealed with butter.
    At 50p I'd have been tempted to try that jar too.

I've always loved paste sandwiches, on toast, on crumpets etc.... it's not something you see many people speaking of... but I've usually always had 2-3 jars in the house - usually sardine/tomato and/or crab.
    .... mini sausage rolls ...
    I'm a fan of full sized sausage rolls. I was buying a pack of 5 at Lidl that warmed up well in the mini oven, but in A1d1 the other week they had a pack of mini sausage rolls reduced by 30% and so, instead, I thought I'd try those "just to double check" ... and it's official ... two packs of the same weight at the same price, the experience of 5 proper sized sausage rolls > what you get from many more smaller ones.

LOVE pastry, but sometimes those small ones skimp on filling.
  • karcher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning all.

Confession time: I ended up eating all 3 burgers last night as they were so tasty and it's a long while since I had any. :o

...Pure greed and rather extravagant but do I care?....Nope :D
  • karcher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    PN I absolutely love jar paste on toast.

SM own brands, the cheap ones are absolutely fine by me.

It was another staple when we were kids but Mother was rather mean with the spreading of the paste!

I think that's why I am obsessive about getting butter/paste to every part and to the edges of a slice of toast/bread..I absolutely hate having the stuff just in the middle and the crust edges dry! Nothing worse imho!
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I shuffled into the kitchen wondering "what can I eat later?" and opened the freezer to see if there were any instantly nukable goodies... none. But I did spot the four foil-wrapped packs of sausagemeat in there.

They were a random buy, Mr T's sausagemeat packs, usually £1.50/pack, reduced to 80p, so (bizarrely) I grabbed two and when I got home I divided them into halves, creating four smaller portions of sausagemeat.

I had in mind to make a nice sausagemeat pie (sausagemeat/onions, probably topped with mash and served with beans) when I bought them. I also thought of the ready rolled pastry I'd got in the freezer (two boxes of that now) .... so I think that, soon, I need to make a sausagemeat pie out of at least one of those portions .... but not today.

Still no idea what to eat though ... but there's always a baked spud if all else fails... got two still in the green bag, which is keeping them (unsprouting) a treat. Love those bags. They just work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure