PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete

Comments

• bt1
    bt1 Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Haven't posted in a while..

We chosen our flooring a few weeks ago. We went for:
    Amtico in hall, lounge, kitchen, bathroom and ensuite, carpets on stairs, landing and bedroom. Came to £5800.

Here is our timeline so far:

28/11 - early bird reservation, 3 bed, TW est Jun/Jul
    31/1 - went through official reservation forms
    13/3 - HTB ATP
    14/3 - Mortgage application sent via broker
    17/3 - Contracts finally sent out by TW
    17/3 - Went for site visit, too "unsafe" to go to plot
    22/3 - Mortgage offer received

12/4 - options meeting £7.3k :eek:
    03/5 - Exchanged
    13/5- confirmed flooring choices £5.8k :eek::eek:

I guess we are just waiting for a 10 days notice to complete. :D I dont think it will be until July but I am hoping for June!! :)

I'm going to stop stalking now as nothing is changing from the outside, plus they've now moved the wall surrounding the development so we cant really see the house anymore. MUST. BE. PATIENT! :D
  • Graciepie88
    Graciepie88 Posts: 22 Forumite
    We had already cleared Bellway's affordability check and I've filled in the reservation forms today. Boyfriend will drop them into the office tomorrow.

We read a few of the big lenders terms and conditions and it would seem as long as incentives are less than 5% of purchase price they're generally ok. I know they don't like the developer to pay your deposit and I do realise not all lenders are the same.

I know it's still early doors and so much could go wrong but I'd like to be a little bit hopeful that we may be on the property ladder by the time the year is out.
  • dgtazzman
    dgtazzman Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    edited 27 May 2016 at 1:02AM
    There's continued movement in my plot. Just drove by. The solar panels have gone on the roof. The plot next to mine has now been rendered and the scaffolding removed, meaning mine is next up, hopefully next week.

The developer asked if I wanted the garden turfed or if I'd prefer gravel as they have the ground works team in. I told them I'd like gravel, but that I'd then want the patio extended to nearly 3 times the standard size and a path laid to the back of the garden. I asked them to quote me for that. To my surprise they've emailed me today they will extend the patio and lay the path free of charge for my continued patience, so that was an unexpected nice bonus :)
  • Derboy
    Derboy Posts: 168 Forumite
    That's good dgtazzman. I've had further compensation agreed today. Which has increased the figure by another two thirds. Which takes it to 2.5% of the purchase price as well as a number of freebies.

Fingers crossed for 10th of June. If they don't complete on that date we've decided to walk away. Need to draw the line somewhere.
  • -pete-_2
    -pete-_2 Posts: 96 Forumite
    Sounds like developers are at least trying pretty hard to make up to the people they've delayed?

I spoke with our sales lady a couple of days ago, she said they are now looking at July / August rather than June / July. We've already given notice on our current place so I'm really hoping we're out before the end of July so we don't have to move twice.

Apparently they were up to the first fix stage at this time last week meaning they were covering with plasterboard and installing cables and pipework. They have started on the ground work and are installing the patio and our exterior walled garden bits. Also, they fixed our window! it sounds like they have just installed a bigger one - which I'm not really going to complain about.

Good luck to those folks with deadlines coming up!
  • hmd1987
    hmd1987 Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    we are using the TW EasyMover scheme, and the new house is estimated completed 1st August. Our current house has been up for sale for 3 weeks and we've finally got our first viewing! (had to drop price a little bit). Scheduled for Monday but I've got everything crossed...the estate agents said she is definitely in a position to buy quickly (nothing to sell etc)
  • AlexLuna
    AlexLuna Posts: 13 Forumite
    We have just had a confirmed completion date of 30th June. We were told they were aiming for 24th. Another week to pack I guess. All looking good from the outside, just putting in the drives and finishing the back gardens. Think im starting to get a bit tired of it now though, its been such a long time (first went to see the site at the start of November, reserved start of December) just want it over and done with.
  • Derboy
    Derboy Posts: 168 Forumite
    AlexLuna wrote: »
    We have just had a confirmed completion date of 30th June. We were told they were aiming for 24th. Another week to pack I guess. All looking good from the outside, just putting in the drives and finishing the back gardens. Think im starting to get a bit tired of it now though, its been such a long time (first went to see the site at the start of November, reserved start of December) just want it over and done with.

Lucky you! We reserved in July last year. Due to get the keys Jan, March, April, May and now 10th June. Was at site today and I'm not hopeful!
  • AlexLuna
    AlexLuna Posts: 13 Forumite
    Derboy wrote: »
    Lucky you! We reserved in July last year. Due to get the keys Jan, March, April, May and now 10th June. Was at site today and I'm not hopeful!

Oh blimey, you must have the patience of a saint. Fingers crossed for you!
  • Haylescom
    Haylescom Posts: 342 Forumite
    Wow this group is getting bigger by the week!

Thought I'd update now we've been in for 2 months and hopefully give some food for thought.

We STILL have no broadband/phoneline! Hence my absence. It turns out the BT Openreach contractor was sacked from the job and at this point they are digging everything up to find out what was finished and what wasn't. The section they need to check now is under scaffold so we have at least another fortnight to go. Even if we'd started this a month before we moved in it would've taken ages.

Affinity water are one big mess up! I called them before we moved and they told me to submit a reading the day we left which I duly did and gave our new details and new meter reading. Weeks of hearing nothing I called again and it was being processed. This week we had a bill for 31p, a new account number and a request for a direct debit; basically 2 seperate departments not bothering to communicate. This has now been resolved, although they want to double our dd due to Anglian Water being more expensive than Thames.

When we informed E.on we were moving they sent me a text reminder on the day asking for readings. The new build was with British gas and I arranged a swap to First Utility immediately but this hasn't been straight forward; BG say they haven't had a reading from FU, FU say it was sent 5 weeks ago...

We registered for council tax and have a provisional band of E (we were expecting C!) So that's a lot dearer than expected. It's provisional and could go down (or up) but it will be months before we know.

There's a 6-8 week wait for bins from the council. In the mean time I've had to contact them a few times to get the refuse collectors to come to our part of the site and take our rubbish. Should have the bins next week but ask way in advance!

We've had lots of *conversations* with various delivery companies whose drivers aren't delivering. They get to the end of the original estate and rather than thinking of looking on the new site or asking one of the many staff members, they assume the house doesn't exist and leave. A number of drivers have been less than honest about their attempts to deliver and I've resorted to either having things delivered to work or writing in the additional notes "my house does exist!"

Our 1 month snag was minimal really; some paint scuffs (some of which we'd caused), a missing plinth cover in the kitchen, scratched extractor hood. Main one was the bath seal went and we had damage to the downstairs WC. The handyman was booked, OH took a day off but the handyman decided to protest about the mileage he was being asked to do and quit! It's all resolved now and we've had some extra patio tiles given to us as compensation (it'll double the size).

We're really getting used to village life; plant sales, open gardens and a local pub we actually want to drink in. OH did crash his car this week though on a windy country bend (always told him he drives too fast and too close but what do I know!)

Hopefully that's given you guys some thoughts on what not to do and things to get the ball rolling on in advance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure