EDF Fail Ofgem Direct Debit Rules

Options

Comments

• backfoot
    backfoot Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    snowcat,

Thank you. I have now slightly amended my draft letter and sent it off to Ofgem. I have provided your forum name and if Ofgem ask for further detail, I will provide the necessary contact.

It is enormously frustrating for us all to see such a pitiful response that the EO has provided. It is a fob off reply and we can't let such failings rest without challenge.

It's not even a difficult argument to follow. The SLC says EDF must provide information. EDF refuse to do so and to me claim an exemption.

A referee needs to decide.

In your case,the ref has decided whether the ball crossed the line on the basis of the offside rule. Two separate things. :(
  • snowcat53
    snowcat53 Posts: 602 Forumite
    Options
    I have the sense of bureaucrats in all these bodies working very hard to pass the buck. It's amazing anyone gets anywhere.

Now written back to EO
  • backfoot
    Options
    snowcat53 wrote: »
    Now written back to EO

Are you prepared to share the content ? I for one would be very interested to understand more of the detail.

However,I would fully understand if you wanted it to remain private.:)
  • snowcat53
    edited 11 May 2012 at 12:13PM
    Options
    I dont mind sharing some details.

Last Letter to EDF
    I write in response to the letter from ### of #April 2012 .

This letter does finally give some calculations for the Direct debit amount. However this does not address the fundamental point that you did not - and still do not - give any such calculations at the time you notify that you are changing the DD amount as you are required to do .

In view of the length of time this complaint has been ongoing I am now invoking my right to take this direct to the Ombudsman.

Complaint to Ombudsman (on online form)
    When EDF have notified me of a change in DD they fail to provide any explanation of the calculation, despite repeated requests on the phone and by email. This as I understand it is in direct contravention of SLC 27.14. There have been numerous emails and letters with EDF to try to resolve this , and they have belatedly supplied various conflicting figures, but none of their responses addressed their failure to supply any proper explanation AT THE TIME THEY NOTIFY THE CHANGE IN DD. I have notified them that I am taking this to you under the 8 week rule. This is clearly is a matter that affects all EDF’s customers and requires a directive to them to comply with the rules. I am happy to share all correspondence.

In response to the EO's pathetic reply above I simply stated I considered the reply incompetent, and that my complaint did not relate to a 'commercial decisiion', but the failure of EDF to abide by the Standard Licence Condiitions, which they made no mention of. I asked that the complaint be referred to someone more senior for review.

Comments welcome.
  • backfoot
    Options
    Excellent snowcat. Perfectly reasonable complaint to a totally unreasonable stance by EDF and a totally inadequate response by the Energy Ombudsman.

Well done:T
  • princessfayebaley
    Options
    Evening All,

I was wondering if someone can help me as I too am having problems with EDF and their direct debit policy. Heres the story, I hope I explain it properly and someone can advise me the best course of action!

I signed up to an EDF fixed rate tariff untill March 2014 which commenced in July last year for both gas and electricity. I signed up to manage my online account but have twice notified them that the account doesnt allow me to download bills only input meter reading so they agreed to send me paper bills (they have acknowledged this was the agreement). I was paying a monthly direct debit totaling £74.25 per month, until on the 1st May a direct debit of £353 went out of account!
    Upon speaking to EDF they said that its because of their direct review and that they estimate that I will be using £300 elec and £53 per gas! I asked how they came to this figure and the customer service agent couldnt answer but agreed that I ualified for a direct debit indeminity claim (which I have done) and that she would send me a copy of the bill so I could see my usage, she advised to ring back once I had received it to arrange a new direct debit payment.
    When I got the bill ( this is a 7 mth bill) it shows that I use £67.29 a month elec and £33.19 gas and I then receive a a direct debit and duel fuel discount which totalled £46.85. So I rang back up and paid the debit amount on my account which was £95.36, but the are insisting they have to keep my direct debit at £353 per month!!!!!!!!!!!!! It doesnt take a genious to work out this is way more than my consumption and its also way too much if the are trying get my account into credit for next winter. The only way to get around it is by not paying by direct debit but then I loose the discount.
    I am so sorry for the long story but wanted to make sure I got all the info in. I hope someone can advise me the best course of action because I can neither afford £353 per month or to loose the discount.
    Thank you in advance x
  • snowcat53
    Options
    princessfayebaley,
    You would probably be better starting a new thread.

The advice would be to work out your own figures for consumption based on definite (not estimated) readings over the last 12 months (or thereabouts). Then convert that to cost based on your current tariff, divide by 12, subtract any discounts - et voila! the amount you should be paying each month by DD. [NB - This assumes you separately pay off any balance you owe]

Armed with your own figures you can challenge EDF's calculations (which, like the Almighty, move in mysterious ways). As you will have gathered if you have read any of the preceding thread, they are required to justify in detail the basis of their calculation. If not complain formally in writing
  • jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    edited 12 May 2012 at 11:38AM
    Options
    I am so sorry for the long story but wanted to make sure I got all the info in. I hope someone can advise me the best course of action because I can neither afford £353 per month or to loose the discount.

Snowcat has explained how to handle this.

The only thing I have to add is that you haven't mentioned the account balance prior to the £353 payment calculated, but the account balance is the single most important factor in deciding how to respond.

Post that for further advice.

One other comment. It is not for Edf to agree you have a valid direct debit indemnity claim. You have an unconditional right to make the claim of your bank citing "no notice received". The bank must comply "immediately" (or face the expensive prospect of a Financial Ombudsman Service referral).
  • snowcat53
    edited 24 May 2012 at 8:47PM
    Options
    Bump. A further response from the Ombudsman (see above). More buck passing.

Thank you for your recent email regarding your issue with EDF.

It is important we clarify what the Ombudsman can and cannot do. Each energy supplier has a
    complaints handling code of practice which describes how best to raise a complaint against
    them.

You have been advised that we don’t currently handle complaints related to commercial
    decisions made by energy companies. This is correct, as how energy companies operate their
    business and the tariffs they offer is an area outside our scope.

Ombudsman Services: Energy is an independent organization set up to resolve disputes
    between service providers and their customers. As I am sure you will agree, like anyone else
    there are rules which we have to work within. These are our Terms of Reference, you can see a
    full version of these on our website, or I can arrange for a copy to be posted to you.

The Ombudsman has the power to resolve individual complaints but not to regulate the way
    companies behave. This is the job of Ofgem. You may wish to look at Ofgem’s website
    www.ofgem.gov.uk. You may also wish to look at the information available regarding energy
    supply, which is published on the Energy Retail Association’s (ERA’s) website
    www.energy-retail.org.uk.

Alternatively, you may decide to contact your local MP for further information or routes to take
    your complaint forward.

You advised in your initial correspondence that you have been in regular correspondence with
    EDF and that they have failed to provide you with a satisfactory response to your concerns. This
    is something that we could consider for investigation as a potential shortfall in customer service.

This information is provided as it is important that we manage your expectations and determine
    fully whether we can resolve your outstanding issues.

Should you wish to continue with you complaint against EDF, taking into consideration the above
    information please contact our office quoting reference number ##.
  • jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    edited 24 May 2012 at 9:59PM
    Options
    snowcat53 wrote: »
    More buck passing.

Possibly. But another interpretation is possible from "this is the job of Ofgem". I completely agree with that and if it is the job of Ofgem it cannot be the Energy Ombudsman's job.

I recall the "Guaranteed Discount" issue. With no thanks to staffers on more than one consumer forum (including this one), somehow Ofgem was prodded into their "it was always the intention to capture..." climbdown masterphrase. I cannot understand the facile Ofgem response to SLC 27 Direct Debit compliance generally and specifically the Edf Energy failure to comply. Of course, using different words Consumer Focus warned the licence wording was "rubbish". Ofgem rejected the advice but CF [RIP] hav ebeen proved right.

Regarding the Energy Ombudsman "excuse", I believe there is an "Ombudsman's Ombudsman". Unfortunately I can't recall the name or link but that would a possible avenue to test the EO argument.

Sooner or later this will have to end up with Ministers. Given the "shaky" positioning of energy within the coalition, timing to achieve maximum discomforture will be of the essence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure