Eastern Europe holidays

Options
13»

Comments

• Chyna-s
    Chyna-s Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just back from a fabulous 4 days in Budapest. Fabulous city, the people are so friendly and nice, wonderful history, gorgeous architecture and it is so easy to walk around. Everything is within 20 minutes.

Did Krakow last year in May (weather great), Prague the year before in October (weather good) (and going to Prague again next month with the girlies) and can pretty much say the same from above for these 2 cities. Highly recommend all. Next on the list is Bucharest.
    Thank you all who post.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    The distance from the train or tram to the departure hall is a long way though, easily a few hundred metres. It took me about 45 minutes last time I was there (it might be a bit different depending on which terminal). I'd rather, for instance, drive the extra 40 minutes to Liverpool airport where it's a much shorter distance to get to departures, than have a shorter drive to the airport and end up losing the first two days of my holiday recovering from getting through the airport.

Eh? Is your mobility hindered in some way?
    45 minutes is around 4kms at normal walking pace. The 3 terminals and the station are all within 700 metres max of each other, and there are travelators to save you walking.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Chyna-s wrote: »
    Just back from a fabulous 4 days in Budapest. Fabulous city, the people are so friendly and nice, wonderful history, gorgeous architecture and it is so easy to walk around. Everything is within 20 minutes.

Did Krakow last year in May (weather great), Prague the year before in October (weather good) (and going to Prague again next month with the girlies) and can pretty much say the same from above for these 2 cities. Highly recommend all. Next on the list is Bucharest.

I was in Budapest a couple of weekends ago. I thought it was OK, but I preferred Prague and Krakow as they are smaller and easier to get around.
  • wazza99
    wazza99 Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another vote for Slovakia, Bratislava, cheap flights by Ryanair, good rail links to Vienna and Budapest and Czech republic.
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've travelled with reduced mobility and borrowed wheelchairs in museums galleries etc. One of the easiest places to visit was Copenhagen. The city is completely​ flat, and access to most places is good, internally and externally.
    I did not travel on public transport in a wheelchair ( could walk a bit, if slowly ), but would be very surprised if the main rail stops and trains were not accessible.

From experience, I would say that Northern European cities are better at accessibility and decent pavements with access ramps than Mediterranean countries. You get lovely promenades along the beaches and parks, but in town it can get a bit hairy.

I always emailed specific museums, historic houses, gardens etc, to find out exactly what facilities they had. I could also then forewarn them of my visit so they could have chairs or assistants ready to help.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    mgdavid wrote: »
    Eh? Is your mobility hindered in some way?
    45 minutes is around 4kms at normal walking pace. The 3 terminals and the station are all within 700 metres max of each other, and there are travelators to save you walking.

Yes, and so is the OPs, which is why I've been giving advice about acccessibility.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    Yes, and so is the OPs, which is why I've been giving advice about acccessibility.

Apologies Ames but I'm not psychic - you hadn't mentioned it. The OP had, which is why I checked and mentioned the travelators.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    mgdavid wrote: »
    Apologies Ames but I'm not psychic - you hadn't mentioned it. The OP had, which is why I checked and mentioned the travelators.

I'm sorry, I thought it was clear I was talking about my personal experiences of (in)accessibility. I'll try and be clearer in future.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure