Top 10 service companies to haggle with

Options

Comments

• gannite
    gannite Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    when my contract was coming up for renewal I rang TalkTalk and was offered 12Months Fiber free.
  • Stevev99
    Stevev99 Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To cut a long story short...
    Was on a 12 month basic package plus Sports at 50% discount which finished in May 2016.
    Cancelled ignoring their usual 'you can have a 5 year deal at 33% nonsense'

First letter arrived beginning July offering 'come back at 33%'
    Ignored...
    2nd letter arrived 'come back for 50% off'
    Just rang them and it's a rolling contract so can cancel at anytime giving a month's notice and did the usual 'is that really the best you can do?' and so have now got all the Sports channels for £23.75 plus they added a £50 credit on account!!

That'll do nicely for the football season for me since already have BT Sports.
  • Daveboy_3
    Options
    Hi

I phoned Sky a couple of weeks ago to cancel my TV, phone and broadband package as my MSE deal from last year was coming to an end. They didn't offer me anything special so I went ahead and cancelled. I've since arranged to switch to Talk Talk for phone and broadband, but obviously Sky want to try and keep me as a TV customer. I received a text the other day with a link to an offer of 60% off any TV package I want, on a new 12 month contract. I think it's around the 29th September my 30 days notice ends and my TV package finishes. Is 60% off likely to be the best they'll offer me without haggling, or should I sit tight and expect an improved offer before I call them to get a better offer?

Thanks
    David
  • Willja
    Options
    Had some joy with both BT and Sky this week with haggling. Just finished a call with Sky where I've told them to cancel my account. I was offered verbally 25% off which I refused and he also offered a deal for £20 discounted to £10 for a basic TV package (no HD limited channels) which I also refused. So service will stop in 31 days.
    Went online to the My Sky page and sitting there was a 50% discount for 10 months offer to stay immediately following the call. I'll tough it out till the end of the month though.

Called BT to renegotiate my Broadband earlier in the week and after telling them I was going to go to EE for their £12.50/month offer for Fibre BB, I got a £10/month offer from them reduced from £26(?). That said, their Indian Call Centre seem to have mucked that deal up somehow but it's being investigated, so fingers crossed.
  • coffdrops
    Options
    I've never haggled in my life, but with Virgin's latest price increase, I decided enough was enough. I rang Virgin on 150 and got through to retentions. Having armed myself with prices from BT, I told them I was leaving and was immediately offered the best they could do, which was £34 a month - down from £49 a month for superfast broadband and phone. Pretty good, but I said I needed to think about it and I would call them back. I rang back an hour later and said that it didn't really compare to BT's offer and was then offered £28.99 a month with free lifetime caller display. I accepted and felt pretty chuffed with my first ever haggle. Just under £50 a month down to £29 and lifetime caller display. I'll be doing this again!
  • Katzen
    Katzen Posts: 535 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    RAC renewal: initial quote on paperwork £73. Phone call last week from Dave, said could do £62.80. Last year I got it for £49.80 so I played hard to get. Said I'd think about it. Just off the phone with Rhys, his best price was £54.80. When I brought up that it was more than last year, he offered to do 14months instead of 12 at that price. So last year I paid £4.15/month and this year it's £3.91! That'll do
    Mortgage Outstanding Nov '16 £142,772.75
    Mortgage Additional OPs 2017 Target £4522.80/ Actual £865.00
    GC Feb 0/£200
  • lorrs58
    lorrs58 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just called Virgin to get a better deal. Currently paying £29.00 for Broadband and Telephone anytime with caller display. Was told my bill was going to be going up to £39.00. Ended up giving 30 days notice. Any ideas who to go to Sky or BT ?
  • tenuissent
    Options
    A phone call to AA just now reduced their current car insurance quote by £70.

I had asked why, when AA itself says average quotes are up by 16%, ours was up by 30%. Answer: the government added insurance tax. Question: is that not already factored into the AA statement? Answer: no. So how much is it? Answer: 10% of last year's premium. Question: that leaves ours raised by 20% after allowing for the raised tax....why? And then I was offered a £70 reduction. Is that reasonable? And does the AA's estimate of 16% average rise in car insurance really not include the government tax?
  • perbinder
    Options
    I have had no success in reducing my bills with virgin despite trying 3 times over 3 months. In the end I cancelled my contract.

3 days later have received a call from the outbound team who have reduced my monthly fee from 108 to 46 per month and increased my broadband to 200mb.

I mentioned that I cancelled because none of the retentions would give me a discount and he was surprised but said that they can't give a good a deal as the outbound team who call you after you cancel.
  • bluedove
    bluedove Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    perbinder wrote: »
    I have had no success in reducing my bills with virgin despite trying 3 times over 3 months. In the end I cancelled my contract.

3 days later have received a call from the outbound team who have reduced my monthly fee from 108 to 46 per month and increased my broadband to 200mb.

I mentioned that I cancelled because none of the retentions would give me a discount and he was surprised but said that they can't give a good a deal as the outbound team who call you after you cancel.
    Gave my notice last night, i hope i get a call from the outbound team otherwise i will be leaving virgin after 10 years
    anyone know how to get to this outbound team?
    Though the vision may not be the true future of man but it can't be completely beyond his control.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback