Cash withdrawals from ATMs in Germany and Austria

Options
I have a Halifax Clarity credit card to use abroad. I know there are no fees on the British end, but can anyone tell me how I can find out what the charges from the German or Austrian bank would be for using their machine to withdraw cash? Or, better still, if there is any bank that would not charge anything for using their ATM?

Thanks

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    I've withdrawn cash in Germany and Austria loads of times and never got charged by an ATM. Once I thought I'd get charged as the charges listed next to the ATM seemed to say there'd be a charge for a credit card, but think it must have just applied to German credit cards as I never got a charge.
  • skint_chick
    skint_chick Posts: 872 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If there is a fee the ATM will tell you - like the portable machines you get in the UK sometimes in shops/hotels etc that say there is a £1.75 fee etc. If they're regular ATMs at a bank/fixed into a wall then there shouldn't be a fee.

Hope you have a lovely holiday
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
  • JezR
    JezR Posts: 1,697 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Notes as big as €100 can commonly be dispensed by ATMs in Germany and especially Austria where machines are often loaded with just €100 and €10. Don't worry because notes of these size are not difficult to spend.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    JezR wrote: »
    Notes as big as €100 can commonly be dispensed by ATMs in Germany and especially Austria where machines are often loaded with just €100 and €10. Don't worry because notes of these size are not difficult to spend.
    Yes you can buy something for 5 euros and pay with a 100 euro note and they don't bat an eyelid.
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JezR wrote: »
    Or just withdraw 190 Euro when you were thinking of withdrawing 200. Guaranteed some smaller notes then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure