Incapacity benefit 2010 new rules

Comments

• healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Where have you heard its 2010?

I have been on IB for a couple of years now and amazingly, one day after they introduce the new systems (today) I get a phone call telling me I have to go to a medical in 6 days time.

I thought they said it was to replace new claimants, then rolled out at a later date to existing ones?

The new ESA and test that goes with it is for new claimants, you will have the usual PCA medical that is still being used for current claimants.
  • Where have you heard its 2010?

I have been on IB for a couple of years now and amazingly, one day after they introduce the new systems (today) I get a phone call telling me I have to go to a medical in 6 days time.

I thought they said it was to replace new claimants, then rolled out at a later date to existing ones?

I assume you recently filled in an IB50,I/B is reviewed on a regular basis
  • two_sheds wrote: »
    People on Incap already have to see a "person" every year to continue on the benefit ... so what difference does this new legislation make?
    Sorry but thats not how it works,some are reviewed every year others every 2 mine is every 5,depends on the condition and if how soon/long they think it might take you to get better,if at all
  • sharski
    sharski Posts: 294 Forumite
    Basically... to clarify a couple of points raised... if you have been claiming IB before Jobcentre became Jobcentre Plus (check the date for your local area as each 'rolled out, at a different time), you are NOT eligible to attend ANY mandatory appts. If you claimed after that time, you will have had your initial WFI (& the 5 repeats following that, if applicable) - now you will only be required to attend a 'trigger' meeting every 3 years AND/OR if you pass a medical.....
    Under ESA, unless you are in the 'support group' (i.e. there is NO way you could do ANY type of work) you will HAVE to attend an initial WFI, 5 others & any trigger meeting as above.
    Those in the support group DO NOT have to attend any mandatory WFI at the JC!!

Hope this helps - any questions, please ask...
    Oops!! Should I have posted this??? Some users don't think I shouldn't be offering advice due to my occupation!!! :confused:
  • my husband s registered disabled and has been for 19 years. He was signed of work in june. Claimed IB, and now he has to attend these back to work meetings, and now they are trying to find him a job even though there is a valid medical certificate in place. He has worked for the same firm since leaving school, and is not trained in any other trade.
    I laughed last week as they found him a job on a temp ice rink (my husband is not allowed on the ice as he has a failed hip replacement)
    I think the new system s ridicilous.
  • My husband has just had his assessment and it came back as having 0 points, so he's now got to go onto job seeker's allowance. He has problems with his inner ear which affect his balance and he also suffers from panic attacks. Whilst he was being assessed, he was shaking and ended up collapsing on the floor. The doctor who wrote the report had to get him to sit down and got him a glass of water. How can they give him 0 points when the proof was seen before their eyes. Furthermore, they've just stopped his money there and then. It'll probably take a week or two before his job seeker's allowance comes into play and with bills to pay and christmas coming up, it couldn't have come at a worse time.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My son has just had help from the council's Welfare Advisors to fill in his IB50. They have warned him to expect to be declared fit for work as that is their experience at the moment. It means they are having to take many extra people through the appeals process which is really stretching the service they can offer new people.
  • JS477
    JS477 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Was this an IB or an ESA medical? However you can appeal the decision to award your husband 0 points, you use a GL24 Here

It may be a good idea if you were to request a copy of the medical assessment that the "healthcare" professional submitted to the DWP's Decision Maker to check for accuracy and to decide if you should have been awarded points when you were given no points. It has been known for Atos assessment reports to contain a "few" discrepancies!!

Whilst appealing, you can if your husband wishes remain on ESA, though at a reduced rate i.e. the assessment rate.
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I wonder where all these jobs are going to appear from..
  • Barneysmom wrote: »
    I wonder where all these jobs are going to appear from..

That's one thing that I really can't understand about all of this. I've no idea about how many people are claiming IB or ESA but I know that IB claimants aren't included in the unemployment figures each month. Unemployment is going to go through the roof even more, which is hardly in the best interests of the government.

I'm personally quite happy that the government are doing at least something about dodgy people claiming IB but not at the expense of removing genuine people from IB and ESA such as myself. It infuriates me when every day that I'm able to leave my flat I see at least 1 person out 'using' a crutch that they obviously don't need, but to have someone collapsing during a medical and not getting a single point infuriates me even more. It's a disgrace. This country has gone to the dogs, if I had half a chance at leaving I'd be off like a shot. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure