The best mince pie pastry ever?

Comments

• tessasmum wrote: »
    With respect, I'd forget the James Martin recipe and go with the one that this thread is all about - it is amazingly good and receives far better comments than any I've ever made before - and it is the pastry that is the difference! I have altered the recipe ever so slightly so that I make 5 dozen at a time (!!) because people want them for coffee mornings and church! They keep beautifully in the freezer as other people have said, so there is no contest. Winners all round!

I am going to give these lovely mince pies a go at the weekend could I ask do you put them into a shallow bun tin or a deep one.
  • Icey77
    Icey77 Posts: 1,247
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Right then, I've just made 2 dozen of these and they are [Craig Revel Horwood] Gorgeous Darling!!! [/Craig Revel Horwood]

The pastry really does melt (my Mum's doesn't and I think I may be taking her crown shortly ;)) and I've had to leave the kitchen orI shall "quality control" the whole lot! :o

I've also made an apple pie with the last third of the pastry - I only had 2 jm tart tins :whistle:

Thankyou so much Researcher, they are truly scrumptious and will bring a lot of joy and crumble on the lips to my family and friends. I do hope your neighbour is doing OK and that she has a happy christmas!

Icey x
    Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford
  • Icey77
    Forumite
    Meant to add, the pastry is a !!!!!! to work with but well worth it! My hands are too warm for pastry and my worktop leaves a lot to be desired :mad:

Does anyone know if there are other surfaces that are good for pastry, marble perhaps? I would consider buying a marble top thingie to work pastry on if I could find one!
  • researcher
    researcher Posts: 1,539
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Marble really helps - but the secret is plenty of flour and a palette knife!
  • I will be making these again this year, as they went down a storm last year. I found it really handy keeping a batch of this pastry in my freezer throughout the Christmas season (Although it never lasted long!)

My condolences to your neighbours, they will be in my thoughts.
    Value of prizes 2010 - 2017: £8374 Wins 2022: Magic set
    Debt free thanks to MSE
  • Icey77
    Forumite
    Gah, I keep eating them!!!
    At this rate I'll have none left ... and I've already got started on the apple pie too ... and it's yummy :whistle:
  • WillowMuse
    WillowMuse Posts: 1,097 Forumite
    Bless you Researcher and God bless your Neighbour (hugs also)
    I gave up trying to make my own pastry and resorted to ready made stuff:rolleyes:
    That was until I tried this receipe today and it has turned out grand:j
    Kitchen was a bit of a mess though:D
    I made my own jam tarts to see if I could do it befor I tried out the mince pies and I don't think they are gonna last very long:D
    One question, and I know it may sound silly, to keep praticing I would like to make a savoury pie, how do you stop the pastry base from disappearing:confused:
    I dont know how I do it but its either stodgy or has completly evaporated, even my mum cant answer this, so hopefully some of you great bakers out there can.:D
    This happens with ready made pastry aswell by the way:o
    Thanks in advance, Shelly
    If your neighbour's grass is greener, its time to water your lawn!:rotfl::rotfl:
  • You'll need to bake the pastry case blind - that is to say just the pastry shell (with some greaseproof paper and some baking beans to stop the pastry bubbling), then add your filling and bake again. HTH
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it :rotfl: )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now :rotfl:)
  • WillowMuse
    WillowMuse Posts: 1,097 Forumite
    You'll need to bake the pastry case blind - that is to say just the pastry shell (with some greaseproof paper and some baking beans to stop the pastry bubbling), then add your filling and bake again. HTH

Thanks I'll give that ago, feeling a bit adventurous now:beer:
    If your neighbour's grass is greener, its time to water your lawn!:rotfl::rotfl:
  • Icey77
    Forumite
    I can report that all the people I work with loved the mince pies too - even the two ladies that "don't like mince pies" :rolleyes:

I get the impression I will be asked to bake some more ready for christmas so I shall try making some more over the weekend and freezing them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure