Learning to crochet

Comments

• SueB
    SueB Posts: 374
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    nuttybabe wrote: »
    hiya all

well, i have finished. i am quite proud of myself here. i made my sock monkey and crocheted a little teddy, a blankie (tried to read pattern but resorted to youtube), a hat and a nappy (think i just made up stitches with that one!!!!!).

so here he is

16012010304.jpg

so come on everyone, where's your latest creations?
    Nutty babe he's brilliant. I love the accessories you've made :j
    Thank you MrsTine. It's added to my ever growning list of things I want to do. I've started an A4 folder now just to keep them safe :rolleyes:

I haven't done any crocheting at all for the last couple of days. I'm making a pile of bracelets though so I'm still being productive. It'll only be a matter of time before I pick the hook up again. Even though I'm not crocheting I still love to see what you are all making. I'm so impressed each and every time someone psts a photo of their latest creation. Keep it coming :D
  • YAY, I can finally crochet on the round thanks to the help on here, so thank you all so very very much :kisses: I practised using Mrs Tine's pattern then I spent the afternoon making one of the hexagons from Attic24s blog. It's by no means perfect but to me it's one of the prettiest things I've ever seen:D Then I made a little flower.

Mrs Tine, I managed to follow your pattern until the 5th row when my lack of pattern reading kicked in so I'd love it if you had the patience to 'translate' it, if not I don't mind unravelling some more wool, it's starting to feel a bit therapeutic in a masochistic way:rotfl:

I'll show off my creations once I improve a bit and when I learn how to insert photos on here. After learning crochet, I'm sure it'll be a breeze.
    "Who’s that tripping over my bridge?" roared the Troll.
    "Oh, it’s only me, the littlest Billy-goat Gruff and I’m going off to the hills to make myself fat"
  • MrsTine wrote: »
    No you double crochet twice into the next stitch :)

Do you mean into the stitch you have chained or the stich in the ring, if that makes sense (sorry for being a such a thickie)

:rotfl:
  • nuttybabe
    nuttybabe Posts: 2,299 Forumite
    Thanks sue. one of my friends is pregnant and wants one for the baby but wont be finding out what she is having so might do a yellow one for her with the crochet bits. or do a blue one and then keep both until she has the baby!! might even try something different for the teddy.

Hows it all going everyone. not seen any pictures for a while!!!

got my smaller crochet hook so might do an animal later. will have to have a look for something i havent done yet!
  • greenpixey
    greenpixey Posts: 2,806 Forumite
    MrsTine wrote: »
    No you double crochet twice into the next stitch :)

Do you mean into the stitch you have chained or the stich in the ring, if that makes sense (sorry for being a such a thickie)

:rotfl:

you do the double crochet in the stitch where the chain 3 started
  • greenpixey
    greenpixey Posts: 2,806 Forumite
    edited 17 January 2010 at 2:06PM
    Mrs Tine: have you written this part of the pattern right?

Row 4: sl st into next dc, ch 3, 2dc,ch2, 2 dc in ch 2 space, (Shell made)* 1dc into next dc, sk next 2dc, 1dc into next dc, Shell into next ch2 sp, repeat * to * last shell, 1dc into next dc. Join as before.

I'm a little bit stuck after sk next 2dc, 1dc into next dc.
    What does shell into next ch2sp mean and is there a * missing?
    2818q45.jpg
  • Katinkka
    Katinkka Posts: 426 Forumite
    edited 17 January 2010 at 5:38PM
    Hey Girls!

I got part 2 of The Art of Crochet today and I found a nice little group about it on Ravelry Might be fun to crochet along with those guys...

Finished my cactus for my dad although am going to make another as I didn't do it quite right and with each project the patterns are becoming a lot clearer to me. Definitely like doing the smaller projects!

Here is Mr Cactus! Got the pattern from this book.

DSC01037.jpg

greenpixey - sorry I can't help. I am still struggling a bit with instructions!

mrs tine and nuttybabe - I love your pics! Well done!

xx
    :heart2:I have a child with autism.:heart2:
  • I've never tried to add a picture so here's hoping it works. Th hexagonal with the red border was my first attempt at doing something that started with a circle, the green border my next attempt.

Nothing exciting but I love them considering I've tried loads of times over the years to crochet anything. Might even try an anigurami thingummy next:rotfl:
    DSC00104.jpg
    "Who’s that tripping over my bridge?" roared the Troll.
    "Oh, it’s only me, the littlest Billy-goat Gruff and I’m going off to the hills to make myself fat"
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Sorry gang I'll do it now! LOL
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ok - the "full" translation:

first you make a chain of 4 and join the last to the first with a slipstitch - this makes a little circle (it's a round ripple after all ). Chain 3 and then do 11 double crochets into the circle so you basically work your way round it. Join the last one to the top of the 3 chain stiches that started this round.

Next (or row/round 2): chain 3 and then double crochet into the same stitch! Now double crochet 2 into each stitch - this (including the 3 chain at the start) will give you 24 double crochets. Again join with a slip stitch.

3rd: Chain 3 (all rounds start with this ) and then double crochet into the next stitch. Chain 2 and then double crochet 2 into the next stitch. Skip one stitch *
    do two double crochet stitches, chain 2 , 2 double crochet stitches in same stitch and skip next stitch (Shell made) * repeat * to * to end. Join with slip stitch.

4th: slip stitch into next double crochet, chain 3. *
    2 double crochet stitches chain 2, double crochet 2 (this is your shell) into the 2 chain space from the previous row. Double crochet into the next stitch (this is where you might go wrong – the DC you need to go into is actually the one IN the chain space you have just done 4 stitches into. If you hold it up you can see it right on the left side of the space J) Skip the next 2 spaces and then put 1 double crochet into the next space*.
    repeat * to *, 1 double crochet into next stitch. Join with slip stitch as before..

5th: slip stitch into next stitch (every stitch now begins with a slip stitch). Chain 3, 1 double crochet into next stitch. *1 double crochet, chain 2, 1 double crochet into the chain 2 space from previous row (this is your V stitch). 1 double crochet into each of the next 2 stitches, skip 2 stitches and 1 double crochet each of the next 2 stitches*. Repeat * to * ending last repeat with 1 double crochet into the next stitch. Join as before.

6th: Slip stitch into the next stitch, chain 3, 1 double crochet into next stitch. 2 double crochet stitches chain 2, double crochet 2 into your chain space from last row. 1 double crochet into each of the next 2 stitches, skip 2 stitches and 1 double crochet each of the next 2 stitches.* Repeat * to * ending last repeat with 1 double crochet into the next stitch. Join as before.

Keep working in this way, repeating rows 4,5 and 6, including the extra Double crochet stiches as they appear J the constants are that in every 3 rounds you have 2 with shells and 1 with a V stitch. The reason is that if you shell EVERY round you end up increasing too much and get VERY ripply. By using a V stitch instead on every 3 row you don’t increase as fast and the ripple looks better J

It took a bit longer than I thought as it's one thing reading it, another translating it LOL - any bits you see that don't make sense or are confusing - ask :) I don't mind going back and editing it to try and make it easier :) I've just done the first 6 rows following it so hopefully it should be right - difficult when you know what you're doing sometimes as you go onto autopilot ;)
    The row that always throws me is the 3rd one - if you follow the pattern blindly and don't try and make sense of it it works :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport