Barclays Bank (merged)

Comments

• I am about to claim charges back from Barclays up to today but what do I do about any charges that I get from today until they pay up? One person mentioned it took them 5 months to get money back from Barclays - that could be a whole load more charges for me. Can I then start the process again to reclaim those back?
    :D I love my nursing necklaces. Keep babies hands occupied and you free to breastfeed in peace.
  • samtman wrote:
    Thats what I got but they enclosed my statements on a print out and my cheque back but unsure what to do next

Sounds like they are trying to baffle you with science and put you off, they are obviously wriggling,, if the bank is a PLC Public Limited Company, the word being public may be crucial,, as there policies are probably public, which means anyone can see/read them, which in turn means that it is available in the Public Domain, now as I understand it under the DPA, (data protection Act)

ANYTHING that is in the Public Domain, does not come under, and is not protected by the Data Protection Act (for example a court case which is held in a public court) that is why the press can freely report on it) Now I may be wrong on some aspects of that, but that is how I understand it, but you will I believe have to seek further guidence on this as it is a legal minefield, with much use of legal Jargon, which is not ment to be understood by the layman.
  • nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Yes, you can make claims for seperate periods. I suspect they may close your account if you continue to do so though!
  • Barclays informed me last week that I would have to pay a £40 annual service charge if my accounts fall below £2000.
    Anybody know how to get out of these new charges which are being introduced next month based on an assessment of accounts during this month?
  • nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Move away from Barclays!

First Direct have introduced a similar charge as well. Others may follow.
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Rocky67 you claim your £10 back when you have totalled up your charges - well that's what I did for DD.
  • :confused: Hi.

I am sure someone out there can put my mind to rest. I am just about to start a claim against Barclays. I closed this account earlier this year, but believe that claims can still be made against old closed accounts. My main concern is that I also have a large loan with them ( I really wish I had known about this site before doing that), which is due to end feb 2012. If I claim against them will they the ask for a full repayment on the loan? I have never defaulted on the loan. If they do I have no way of paying it back and as my credit rating is rubbish I don't think I could get another one to cover it, without going to the dodgy places which I don't want to do.

I am sorry for waffling but I don't want to end up in a worse situation than I am by doing this.

Thanks in advance

Malvena:confused:
    DFW Nerd no 546
    Official 10k New Years Resolution
    £10k by 31/12/2008
    Earn £10 a day in Jan challenge: Target £310 - So far £184.98
    January Shopping Challenge : Target £50 - Spent £16.05
  • Yes, you are okay claiming from a closed account and as your loan is a different agreement from the bank account you once had they can't demand you pay this back on the strength of your claim on the closed account.
  • Edinburghlass

Thanks for that, its put my mind at rest. I think I will go and post my 1st letter.:eek:

Cheers Malvena:beer:
    DFW Nerd no 546
    Official 10k New Years Resolution
    £10k by 31/12/2008
    Earn £10 a day in Jan challenge: Target £310 - So far £184.98
    January Shopping Challenge : Target £50 - Spent £16.05
  • Larumbelle
    Larumbelle Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    I am currently wrangling with Barclays, and have had some classic moments. I sincerely recommend https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk as a fantastic resource when going down this road. The wealth of experience that people there have with virtually all aspects of the process is amazing. Once I have settled I will be donating a % of what I get back to ensure the site can stay up and running.

Anyway, where was I?

Oh yes, malvena, I would not worry about other accounts with the same organisation, whether they are loans, credit cards, whatever. I believe that any attempt to close these would be bullying and that your local, maybe even national, press would be more than happy to cause an enormous stink on your behalf. When I was a local journalist we would have gone to town on it. And banks really can't afford for any more bad PR! :rotfl:

Closing the account you are claiming on is a bit more of a grey area, as they might be able to claim that you have misused the account. ALWAYS open a parachute account. There are some very good basic accounts around, personally I opened mine with my local Building Society, who were extremely helpful and don't levy these ridiculous penalty charges in the first place.

If your bank does threaten closure of your account, do not panic, ask for an appointment to discuss it with your branch manager. If they still play the bullies, then, as before, go to the local press and cause merry hell for them! Incidentally, although I know many cases where banks, including Barclays, have threatened to close accounts, I know of none where this threat has actually been carried out.

Okay, so a bit of lightheartedness from my journey so far:

Following up the same letter as nadeembutt got I called and challenged a call centre person to translate it into plain english. She offered to put me on to a supervisor. I said okay. Supervisor told me she would have to get back to me. I asked if the call was logged. She said yes. I said, well don't worry about the call back, then. I think I made my point ;)

Bank statements arrived with a six month chunk missing. I called the call centre to request that they send them. Was told that they would be £5 each. Explained about my Subject Access Request. Was told that this would still be £5 each. Asked whether they really wanted action taken against them for breach of the DPA as well as everything else? Surprisingly enough, they backed down.

Called to check my overdraft interest rates for the last three years and got offered a loan, a credit card and a 'premium' bank account. Pointed out that I was in the process of suing the bank for stealing my money. Got told that this was irrelevent as I was still pre-approved for the products :shocked: Needless to say, I declined.

Went into branch to get aforementioned interest rates. Personal banker casually enquires why I need them. Tell her. "Oh my god, that's so cool. Can you do that? Good for you! Wow! Keep us posted on how you get on, won't you?!" She wasn't even being sarcastic...

Seriously, guys, hang in there. You are the wronged party, don't ever let anybody make you feel otherwise. And yes, they might well try and put you off your claim using threats or inpenetrable legal jargon, but these are just sideshows to the main game. DO NOT let them get you down!

Anyone has any problems with Barclays, or just wants a buddy who's further down the line with the process, PM me. I don't bite unless provoked and I know how important it is to have people supporting you in this.

Silver x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport