Son staying on in sixth form and CTC and CA

Son has a guaranteed place in sixth form, he is aiming for a levels but has been told depending on gcse english he will either have to do another year gcse if does not obtain grade or will go straight into a levels. He is happy with either and will see how it goes.

I received letter showing that when son turns 16 which is end may that his part of CTC and CA will drop at end of the school year believe end july.

Who do I need to contact that he is staying on in education and when is appropriate time to do it, to ensure no break in payments and is it simple to get the payments reinstated?

Thankyou :)

Comments

• DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    colacubes wrote: »
    I received letter showing that when son turns 16 which is end may that his part of CTC and CA will drop at end of the school year believe end july.
    CA, Do you mean CB (Child benefit)?
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • colacubes
    colacubes Posts: 57 Forumite
    Yes sorry CB :)
  • MsShorty
    MsShorty Posts: 179 Forumite
    You should have received a letter from Child Benefit, asking if your child was continuing into further education, which you then return, so that your Child Benefit payments will continue.

As for Child Tax Credits, you can phone and inform HMRC and they will note the change on their system, so that payments can continue in September.

However, the computer does not update this change until 1st September, so this change will not show on any tax credits awards issued before this date.

Hope this helps.
  • colacubes
    edited 19 May 2011 at 7:52AM
    Thank you I will ring both depts next week when he has turned 16 to update them as have received no letter saying i need to confirm anything :)

Just read my own post back and think I had better re read the original letter in case I missed the request to ring them. So no worries will be sorted either way and thanks.
  • There CTC system doesn't recognise in advance that a child is staying on in full time education.

It's best, to cover yourself, to notify them that your son will be returning to school.
    In case there is a change to that plan, the system will stop the claim and it's best to phone at the start of September to ensure it's restarted.
    I found it to be quite smooth, with no noticable gap in payments.

CB will write to you for information, and you just need to call and advise them of what he is doing, and confirm the name and address of the school etc.

Regards
    Munchie
  • no-oneknowsme
    no-oneknowsme Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Op , I was in your situation last year when my Daughter was remaining in education. Child benefit office send out a letter to ask if the child intends to remain in eduation and it is just a matter of filling the form in to say that they are intending to stay. This was hassle free and payments continued without any disruption at all.

Tax credits are a different matter. Regardless of whether you inform them that your child will be remaining in education BEFORE 1st September , they CANNOT process this info before then so you MUST ring tco on 1st September to tell them again that your child has stayed on.

You will have a disruption in your payments to take this into account. There will be (at least) 1 week were you do not receive ctc for your child who is going back to education so please be aware of this. It came as a total shock to me when I only received HALF the amount of ctc that I usually received!

It took 2 weeks for my payments to return to normal and there was a thread running on this very topic last year as many of us were very confused as we were without money for 2 weeks whilst oiur claim was restarted yet we didnt get the money paid back (for me I was down £100 per week as that particular child was also receiving the disability premium of tc's) , tco simply spread those "missed" payments out over the rest of the year which meant that although I had been short £200 over the 2 weeks my payments only increased by £8 per week to pull my payments up to date!

Just be aware of this and budget accordingly for the weeks you will be short.
    The loopy one has gone :j
  • nad1611
    nad1611 Posts: 710 Forumite
    Op , I was in your situation last year when my Daughter was remaining in education. Child benefit office send out a letter to ask if the child intends to remain in eduation and it is just a matter of filling the form in to say that they are intending to stay. This was hassle free and payments continued without any disruption at all.

Tax credits are a different matter. Regardless of whether you inform them that your child will be remaining in education BEFORE 1st September , they CANNOT process this info before then so you MUST ring tco on 1st September to tell them again that your child has stayed on.

You will have a disruption in your payments to take this into account. There will be (at least) 1 week were you do not receive ctc for your child who is going back to education so please be aware of this. It came as a total shock to me when I only received HALF the amount of ctc that I usually received!

It took 2 weeks for my payments to return to normal and there was a thread running on this very topic last year as many of us were very confused as we were without money for 2 weeks whilst oiur claim was restarted yet we didnt get the money paid back (for me I was down £100 per week as that particular child was also receiving the disability premium of tc's) , tco simply spread those "missed" payments out over the rest of the year which meant that although I had been short £200 over the 2 weeks my payments only increased by £8 per week to pull my payments up to date!

Just be aware of this and budget accordingly for the weeks you will be short.

Actually I informed CB first and then WTC, I had no breaks in any payments and I've been through this process 3 times now, so I don't know why you did.

I've had to ask different people at times what the procedures are for different things.For example, only this morning I was argued with by an officious young thing telling me that even if my husband started an occupational pension it wouldn't show up on his P60 in otherwords, he culd start a pension but they'd still take his full salary figure, he came back to me rather shamefaced saying I was right. It's always worth checking things out a couple of times, I find.
  • colacubes
    Thank you will tell child benefit first and then ctc and then of course I have the csa paying for son so will ring them and inform them he is staying on at school to cover myself and then if have to re do ctc in september will be prepared either way.

Thanks
  • colacubes
    Right just rang cbenefit and they have updated, they also were able to ask the questions relevant to pass the information direct to child tax credits also and told me would not hear from tax credits till september but would then be sent a new schedule. Got the impression that was all I needed to do:j

They said cbenefit letter on its way and ctc letter in september:T

Phew panic over:j
  • colacubes
    Maybe thats how to get the continued payments as apposed to the break of one or two weeks, as in child benefit liase with them, heres hoping anyhow, just csa to go now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure