Clutch pedal when starting car

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    vikingaero wrote: »
    Most manual cars with starter buttons require clutch down before they will start.

My Land Rover must be one of the exceptions.

Mrs G's Kia needs the clutch pedal depressed. Not a problem as, like many on here, it's something we do anyway.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My Land Rover must be one of the exceptions.

Mrs G's Kia needs the clutch pedal depressed. Not a problem as, like many on here, it's something we do anyway.
    Apart from the OP, that is. ;)
  • !!!!!! wrote: »
    Strange response! Both vehicles are starting as designed, either clutch or brake subject to vehicle. There are no faults with either.
    Both vehicles tell you what needs to be pressed.

the megane 2003 -2008 inc facelift, have press brake or clutch or brake+clutch on inserting card into reader, with the clutch depressed you may have it in gear and it will start, press the brake and its in gear it wont start but activate dash lights (i use this to plug in fault code readers into them because they require the car to have ignition on but not started) if you press the clutch down and no response from car odds on the sensor is knackered or the brown wires have stripped from the green plug sensor on the top of the clutch pedal arm;).
  • Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    On the Passat you have to depress the clutch before it will start and then have your foot on the brake to be able to turn off the electronic handbrake, not a problem once you get used to it
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
  • jase1
    jase1 Posts: 2,308 Forumite
    This is by no means a new thing.

Mitsubishi have had this feature on the Japanese-manufactured models for at least 25 years that I know of.

Hyundai acquired their technology from Mitsubishi in the 1980s, and their early cars also need the clutch to be depressed to start, although both Hyundai and Mitsubishi seem to put it in cars only intermittently now for some reason.

I'd imagine this is the reason Chryslers have it -- much Mitsubishi technology in them.

I think it's a good idea, and depress the clutch when starting on every car/van I drive now. Good to see other manufacturers following suit TBH.
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    personally i have no idea which cars need clutch depressing before they will start after being run down by a vauxhall viva in 1976 i insist clutch pedals are always depressed prior to starting anything
  • gilbert_and_sullivan
    gilbert_and_sullivan Posts: 3,238 Forumite
    edited 5 March 2012 at 1:20AM
    Hyundai's have been like this since the first Lantra and Accent as mentioned above..

The clutch pedal switch was disconnected for rental fleets, which should tell you the main reason not to buy ex hire cars...think laterally about it...;)
  • My point is that it's pretty much redundant and is something that is done more out of habit than for actual value - bar the cars that explicitly require it e.g push button starters. And as someone said it could be a bad thing as it creates more strain.
  • Parva
    Parva Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    A lot of new cars are starting to do this for safety.

From the car's point of view, it's not a particularly good thing. It's true that it slightly reduces starter load, which used to matter with old starters, 6V batteries and gearbox oil like treacle, but with modern starters, 12V systems and much thinner oils it's not really a benefit - if our starter won't handle the extra load then there's a problem with it!
    I'll take your word on that...
    On the other hand, pressing the clutch puts a BIG thrust load on the crank-shaft. Basically, the clutch is trying to push the crankshaft out of the other end of the engine.
    Come again? Pressing the clutch puts a big load on the crankshaft how exactly? Since pressing the clutch actuates the fork and thrust bearing that operates the clutch which in itself separates the gearbox from the engine I fail to understand your reasoning above. To summarise, the clutch and gearbox are totally seperate entities to the engine itself. Where all this piffle about the clutch trying to push the crankshaft out of the engine comes from I fail to understand!
    What stops the crank moving is the thrust bearings, which are basically soft metal plates that it pushes against. Once the engine is running they're lubricated by oil being squirted between them and the crank but, at start-up, it's metal-to-metal contact

So, thrust bearings are soft metal plates? And these same thrust bearings are lubricated with oil once an engine is started up? What a load of complete and utter bull. Do you even have the slightest understanding of how an engine, gearbox and clutch work?

I know that I'm getting old and technology moves on apace but I'm pretty sure that thrust bearings as used with dry clutch plates are not bathed in oil from the sump, nor does depressing the clutch to start the engine risk seeing the camshaft fly out of the engine or some such silliness.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Parva wrote: »
    I'll take your word on that...

Come again? Pressing the clutch puts a big load on the crankshaft how exactly? Since pressing the clutch actuates the fork and thrust bearing that operates the clutch which in itself separates the gearbox from the engine I fail to understand your reasoning above. To summarise, the clutch and gearbox are totally seperate entities to the engine itself. Where all this piffle about the clutch trying to push the crankshaft out of the engine comes from I fail to understand!

So, thrust bearings are soft metal plates? And these same thrust bearings are lubricated with oil once an engine is started up? What a load of complete and utter bull. Do you even have the slightest understanding of how an engine, gearbox and clutch work?

I know that I'm getting old and technology moves on apace but I'm pretty sure that thrust bearings as used with dry clutch plates are not bathed in oil from the sump, nor does depressing the clutch to start the engine risk seeing the camshaft fly out of the engine or some such silliness.

He is actually correct about how it all works, although the rest of the post is debatable. It's probably six of one and half a dozen of the other. The decision is made for you on many modern cars anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure