When do CSA payments stop

Comments

• Thanks Momamot...sounds about right. It's a case of wait and see now!
  • kink
    kink Posts: 139 Forumite
    my hubby doesnt know where his son lives so how could he find out if cb stopped? - highly unlikely his ex will vounteer this info to csa! would he have to ring csa and ask them to chase it?
  • frugallass
    frugallass Posts: 2,320
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    kink

the CSA can find out about Child Benefit Claims (well, this is what CSA Belfast told me the other day anyway) - speak to your caseworker who should be able to advise you further
  • doelani
    doelani Posts: 2,576
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    frugallass wrote: »
    kink

the CSA can find out about Child Benefit Claims (well, this is what CSA Belfast told me the other day anyway) - speak to your caseworker who should be able to advise you further

I agree, your husband needs to phone CSA and get them to check with the PWC if she is still claiming , although they will be able to check.

I got a cal from them in July ( the day after my daughter offically left school) to say they had been "informed" ( by ex ) that she had left school and was in full time exployment and I was still claiming CB which they had checked before ringing me.

He had rang them before I cancelled the claim , got the call at 10.30 on a monday and I was still in bed lol
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
  • kink
    kink Posts: 139 Forumite
    thanks for replies, will get him to do that, just hope it doesnt provoke a reassement.
  • I finally got the official version from the CSA via the phone.....:T :rotfl:

If a child who is 16 yrs., goes onto further education, at the time reaches 18 yrs. and it is expected to achieve exam results to then go onto University then payments stop on the 1st. Monday of the 19th. birthday. However, should the child not achieve the qualifications required to enter into University but has to re-study to then re-sit the exams needed to go on with the further education, then payments will stop on the 19th. birthday. :beer:
  • I,M_SAD
    I,M_SAD Posts: 189 Forumite
    Please I am being stupid I know,but whathe difference between the 2 scenarios you gave?My ex partner has a child of 19 yrs on the 7th of August,he is saying she is in uni,then working,then part time college,then unemployed,I am genuinely unsure what is the real scenario ,I hav,nt asked because he keeps telling me something different,however should she be still in csa assessment?I don,t want to ask for a new assessment unless I have some facts with csa obligations.
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,703
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If child is now 19 then she should be taken out of the assessment regardless of what she is doing as the maximum time for child support purposes, is 19th birthday (except for arrears). Otherwise, if she is currently unemployed and still 18 and intending to go to university then it would stop on the first Monday in September.
  • I,M_SAD
    I,M_SAD Posts: 189 Forumite
    Sorry for jumping on the thread but do csa automatically adjust the assessment when a child reaches 19yrs or should you inform them.Also what happens with a maintenance order,I am confused as my ex partner has one in place but he is stating the maintenance order is to last until oldest child is 24 yrs old.Is that normal and will csa allow that order until that age.?
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,703
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    CSA is totally separate from a maintenance order - that is done via the courts. I suggest you contact the court and ask them for a copy of the order unless the PWC went on benefits and then had to claim via CSA in which case the court order would no longer be valid. If you have more than one child on a CSA case, then you would have to request a review once the oldest reaches 19 - otherwise it should be automatically closed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure