The "Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2012" challenge - PART 3!!!

Comments

• Canucksfan
    Canucksfan Posts: 169
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hi All
    Great to see the progress being made!
    Kerri, love the plans for the quilt - it really will be one of a kind. Are you going to make it by hand or with a sewing machine? I made on with pre-cut Laura Ashley shapes by hand years ago and I have never been able to look at pastel pink the same way since - Aargh!
    Dolly, it is tough trying to get debts down AND lose weight. I have decided I can do one, but not the other at the same time...
    VWCamper, I hear you-it really goes against the grain to spend now, but it is good that you are making this time for your family.
    Well we have decided to cut loose and spend the money we were given during the recent pet-sitting gig, on a one-night stay in a cabin on a campsite about 2 hrs east from us. Yes, we should be putting the $$$ towards the dreaded cc bill, but a couple of the children are in dire need of family-time...they have been getting a bit aggressive with their siblings and at school :( DH has really stepped up and said that he would do a bit of overtime so I can be at home more.
    Sooo, the place we are visiting for our break sounds interesting. The Tourist Board says it has three claims to fame - the town was used as a location for Sylvester Stallone's movie 'Rambo-First Blood', there are lots and lots of chainsaw sculptures there AND it has more sightings of BigFoot than ANYWHERE! :T Can't wait to tell the children that we are going there tomorrow - they are gonna love it!!!
    Happy Easter All xxx
    Canucksfan#249-another $600 paid ..$11,300/17,418.95
    'You've got to tell your money what to do or it will leave!' Dave Ramsey
  • mumof3plusoh
    mumof3plusoh Posts: 953
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Happy Easter to all my friends on DFBX2012.

:EasterBun:easter_os:easter_ba:easter::icotbaske
    [SIZE=2]SPC4 #1395 Aug 11 £135.75/£150
    SPC5 #1395 Shower fund used £13.60 31/7/12 Banked Farepack administrators cheque £301 19/10/12 £326.40 in the tin....TOTAL £641
    SPC6 #1395 Total £144.62
    SPC7 # 051 Banked so far £100 TOTAL £142[/SIZE]
    SPC8 #051 £46 :(SPC9 #51 £1091.34 :T:T
  • Linzight
    Linzight Posts: 194
    First Post
    Forumite
    Hello everybody! I am plodding away with my debt busting and was wondering what apps everybody uses to keep track of their budgeting? I've currently got Money Toolkit to categorise my spends and Budget Calc to keep track of my outgoings and incomings but would like something a bit more powerful. Any suggestions? And Happy Easter!
    Debt Free by Christmas 2012 #205 DONE!
    £2012 in 2012 #128 £1900/£2012
    £2 Saver 2012 #78 £0/MOT
  • kerri_dfw
    kerri_dfw Posts: 4,556
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    SpagBol - yay for 10.2% :) and congrats for reducing your mortgage payments that's excellent news

Brightpurple - nice to hear from you congrats on having 24% of your debt paid off :) you're definitely on track for being debt free by christmas :)

Canucksfan - Thanks, I think when drunk it'll give us a bit of headspin though :p I think I will probably do it by sewing machine as I don't have the patience to sit here and handsew. Although I don't know the pros and cons of the two different methods. You definitely deserve a night away, especially if it's affecting the children. Debt-busting isn't just about reducing our debts, it's about doing it in such a way that doesn't affect our quality of life and we need to maintain that balance :) Hope you have a lovely time, although chainsaw sculptures are a bit too manly for my tastes :p

Mumof3plusoh - happy easter to you too :)

Linzight - I think a few of us use eeba, although I'm still trying to get my head around it. I use excel mostly :)

Well I've just paid my daily £1 to the credit card, I've also dug out my double slow cooker and have lentil chilli cooking in one, and a pasta sauce cooking in the other :) Realised I actually need to eat something whilst trying to debt bust, well something other than chocolate and crisps! I've bulk made it (although I put the ingredients in the cooker in the wrong order for the chilli so a bit worried about that but we'll see) so I can freeze it in portion sizes and then just whack it in the microwave when I need something to eat :D

Right, now to get on fleabay and list items.
    #005 £2627/£5030
    Diary: Getting back on track for 2013 and beyond
    DEBT FREE 13-10-13 :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:
    Beautiful daughter born 11.1.14
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]£399,435.91[/STRIKE] £377218.83
    Deposit loan from Dad: £9000[STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE]
  • Linzight
    First Post
    Forumite
    kerri_dfw wrote: »
    Linzight - I think a few of us use eeba, although I'm still trying to get my head around it. I use excel mostly :)

Thanks Kerri, that's the perfect supplement to my spreadsheet. Although it recommends I need to stop spending on food and drink for 11 days! Damn birthday meal. :)
    £2 Saver 2012 #78 £0/MOT
  • The thread seems to move alot slower than it used to so I'm keeping up with it at last. Had a complete no spend day today :) All accounts are up to date so we know what will be paid off and when.

My MIL has given OH £1k - he has already spent alot of it though - it was part of his inheritance but since his sisters needed money my MIL thought she would give them all an equal amount. I wanted to put it all towards our loan but sadly OH disagreed - not quite thinking my way yet - he has put some towards it though.

I've done a snowball for the loan this morning - its a 10 year loan but we won't get punished for paying it off earlier so we are hoping to do it in 3 years - and if we keep up the payments as we have been doing it will be paid off in May 2014 :) Now I feel super competitive to beat the snowball and will chisel away at it a little at a time.
  • Linzight
    First Post
    Forumite
    I've just finished filling in the MSE budget spreadsheet for the first time (My Statement of Affairs Calculator data lapsed) and have cross referenced the "desired spend"s with the EEBA app to give me monthly targets. My budget calculator results say I'm up £311 at the end of every month so if I can push my £2012 in 2012 target to £300 a month I will definitely be debt free by Christmas!
    £2 Saver 2012 #78 £0/MOT
  • Member #328 £436/£14185 (3.07%)
  • MFWannabe
    MFWannabe Posts: 1,999
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Afternoon everyone. Hope you're all having a great Easter:)

Another £100 payment for me please Jemma

#191 £1600/£4000
    28/12/23: Debt total £12,700/13,192.13
  • SpagBol
    SpagBol Posts: 1,371 Forumite
    I've downloaded EEBA and it looks good, I'll have a play with it but since my income is so variable I think I might keep going the way I am and use something like this when our incomes are more set in stone and we have less debt. I think it will be really useful to budget and monitor when we have more money again to spend on stuff so we don't get back into bad habits!

Well done everyone, keep it up. I also can keep up with the thread now!
    DMP started Oct '17: £79,974 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport