Oil filled radiator help please

We are moving to a new flat which has no central heating!!! only a fire in the lounge. I was looking at buying three of theses for the two bedrooms and the bathroom.

http://www.froogle.goshopdirect.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=IG-BG0597&SID=86dc5f5a336d287749f80a27915c5442

they are 2kw, does anyone know if that will keep us warm, there is single glazing for now but I will get thermal blinds (advice also gratefully received) and lined curtains at windows and doors.

Also the running costs of this, would they be silly high during the winter and is there a better way to heat the flat for now.

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    There is no more expensive way to heat; on maximum setting these will cost approx 20p an hour to run.

They are slow to heat up, but slow to cool down as the oil retains heat, which can be an advantage of disadvantage depending on how you use them. A fan heater will produce instant heat(at the same price to run) but of course when switched off there is no heat.

Be very careful about using any electrical device in a bathroom.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Cardew wrote:
    Be very careful about using any electrical device in a bathroom.

I would go a lot further than that - DON'T use ANY mains electrical equipment in a bathroom - except an electric razor plugged into a proper bathroom approved shaver socket.
    If you want heat, get a qualified electrician to advise and fit for you.
  • I have a 1.5 kw heater like that and I love it. I am using it in the kitchen now because I do not want to heat the whole house (not cold enough yet). I plugged mine into a timer so that it comes on before I get up.
  • I have today obtained heating costa from EDF Energy as follows

A 2KW Oil filled radiater 30 mins warmth for 1 unit

Fan heater 2KW 30 mins warmth for 1 unit

Covector heater 2KW 30 mins warmth for 1 unit

Infra red heater 1KW 1 hours warmth for 1 unit

Panel heater 1.5 W 40 mins warmth for 1 unit

Radiant heater 3KW 20 mins warmth for 1 unit

Find out what you are being charged per unit from your supplier and you can work out your running costs
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    pfoster wrote: »
    I have today obtained heating costa from EDF Energy as follows

A 2KW Oil filled radiater 30 mins warmth for 1 unit

Fan heater 2KW 30 mins warmth for 1 unit

Covector heater 2KW 30 mins warmth for 1 unit

Infra red heater 1KW 1 hours warmth for 1 unit

Panel heater 1.5 W 40 mins warmth for 1 unit

Radiant heater 3KW 20 mins warmth for 1 unit

Find out what you are being charged per unit from your supplier and you can work out your running costs

The problem with those figures is they make the assumption that the heater is on maximum setting and the thermostat is not operating.

In practice they will be switching on and off as the set temperature is reached.

The point to make is that for the same running cost, all of them give out exactly the same amount of heat.
  • I think the OP was looking for a bit more than the obvious. The figures quoted are obvious...1 kw of warmth for 1 hour is 1 unit for any system so infers that costs of heating a space are the same no matter what heater you choose. We know this is not true. The REAL point to understand therefore is this...What heater most effectively heats the room for a given amount of power. I.E. Is a 1 kw electric bar fire as efficient at heating a room as say a fan heater, or an oil filled radiotor etc etc. The most efective heater for a given space can be used less or used at a lower setting for the same effect thus reducing running costs.

So having said that, I am also looking for a good single room solution and would love some advice on the most effective heating to use.
    Jon
  • From personal experience I can say that not taking into account the cost Delonghi oil filled radiators are very effective in warming up rooms. We have a house in France with no heating except for the oil filled rads which actually enable us to stay in the house even with it being -9 outside.
  • There is not much difference in those, because it's all electric, and all 100% effective. They have other differences tho. Fan heaters give quick heat, but they heat air, just like call convector type heaters. Radiant heaters, like those free standing glowing heaters are heating objects(e.g. a person) rather than the air. Oil heaters heat up the oil slowly, and it retains heat for a while(I see no reason for this). But you get always the same amout of heat every time for certain amount of money.
    Termostats can help you a bit by turning on/off the heat, so you don't get too cold/hot, and it's "kinda" saves you money.
    Effectiveness can be increased by strategically placing these product to particular locations in the room, so there is air circulation, but I can't tell you much about it.
    I prefer a cheap convector heater, because it's not glowing, quiet, safe, and relatively small. It heats the air, and in time air heats objects.
  • Soniboy84 wrote: »
    There is not much difference in those, because it's all electric, and all 100% effective. They have other differences tho. Fan heaters give quick heat, but they heat air, just like call convector type heaters. Radiant heaters, like those free standing glowing heaters are heating objects(e.g. a person) rather than the air. Oil heaters heat up the oil slowly, and it retains heat for a while(I see no reason for this). But you get always the same amout of heat every time for certain amount of money.
    Termostats can help you a bit by turning on/off the heat, so you don't get too cold/hot, and it's "kinda" saves you money.
    Effectiveness can be increased by strategically placing these product to particular locations in the room, so there is air circulation, but I can't tell you much about it.
    I prefer a cheap convector heater, because it's not glowing, quiet, safe, and relatively small. It heats the air, and in time air heats objects.

Sorry but what your saying isn't true. Firstly all heaters will heat up air, how can the heat not get to the air? Although it will heat up a person in close proximity more due to the low surface area of the heater.

The point of an oil heater retaining heat is, it doesn't require constant heating. Normal convective heaters heat up a heating element that gets hot (like a kettle) an then the air passes over the fins and warms up ... The heating elements lose heat quickly and therefore require constant heating. Oil however does not lose heat as fast and so the heating can be paused until the oil drops below a certain temperature therefore requiring less electricity per hour.

Hope this helps.
  • energy in = energy out
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family