Dentist won't fit bridge on NHS?

ernie-money
ernie-money Posts: 810 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
edited 3 August 2015 at 3:06PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
My OH has been to the dentist to have a tooth filled, but was told it can't be saved, but needs to be extracted, and he then needs to have a bridge fitted. This is one of his molars, but he also has one of his front teeth that has been "dead" for years and will soon need the same treatment, and he was quoted a total of about £2400 for the work. As he is an NHS patient, I checked what the NHS charge should be & the website said £222.50 (x 2 presumably), so I rang the dentist and asked why it would cost so much. I was told that there must have been a reason why it couldn't be done on the NHS, ie that it was cosmetic or something else. Is there any way we can contest this, because surely a missing tooth can't be deemed to be just cosmetic..? £2400 is an awful lot of money, and I wouldn't even mind having to put a bit extra towards it if he could have it done, but that much - there is no way we can save up that much, that's more than twice what we spend on our annual holiday...
Was just hoping to get some advice if possible please...

Edit: sorry, just wanted to add that I'm not complaining about NHS dentists or anything, maybe there's been some sort of misunderstanding, but just wanted to see if we could get some feedback or info before speaking to the dentist again. Thanks
I don't think I can hang on til Friday...

Comments

• Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I got my bridge done at the local dental hospital, free. It was done by a "student" but she was very experienced and at a registrar level rather than bog standard student. Everything was overseen by a consultant dentist.

My understanding is that bridges aren't covered by the nhs tariffs, although I'm sure one of the resident dentists on here will be along to clarify
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • welshdent
    welshdent Posts: 1,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Technically speaking bridges are available on the NHS however if it is not needed for functional reasons then it doesnt have to be provided and CAN be viewed as cosmetic. i.e. if it s a molar tooth and there are teeth either side and as such the individual is still able to eat (research shows that you only need pre molars to chew - shortened dental arch) - if the only concern is the gap would be unsightly then the dentist can argue that it is cosmetic. Front teeth would be in my opinion a little different but I can not see your other half to be able to comment. What the dentist cant say is that it is "not available"on the NHS. Because yes they are but its not black and white.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure