MSE News: Threat to bank statements and bills if postal boycott goes ahead

"Postal workers could refuse to deliver post sent via anyone other than Royal Mail, a union says..."

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,694
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    No more junk mail, wonderful ;)
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    molerat wrote: »
    No more junk mail, wonderful ;)

Most of it seems to come from the postman (no stamp, often no address) these days anyway, so I doubt it'll make much difference to that.

But then I'm signed up to http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/ ... but junk stuffed through your door by RM is not covered, and I think the advertisers know that.
  • A survey recently said that 50% of mail that comes through the letterbox is junk mail. :rotfl:

Wow, we can only aspire to such a situation. It's at least 75% at Onawingandaprayer Towers.
  • jobdone1
    jobdone1 Posts: 841
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The big question is what are they trying to achieve.

All this will do is create even more firms to go it alone and do away with more jobs within royal mail. Cut your nose off springs to mind.

At the end of the day the management need to get a grip of what way the royal should go to protect jobs.

Only yesterday me and my wife queued for 15 mins with one cashier and the other trying to sort bags upon bags of parcels that the royal mail guy came to collect. More staff on the front line and less useless management is the key.
  • .......Post from Barclays, Sky, BT and HM Revenue & Customs is sent via TNT, while Vodafone uses UKMail. Private firms' mail makes up 45% of post delivered by Royal Mail......
    Why on earth are the government, who own the Post Office using a private firm to deliver post, thats crazy!
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,389
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Why on earth are the government, who own the Post Office using a private firm to deliver post, thats crazy!

Because it's cheaper... HM Revenue and Customs don't own it so have to pay like anyone else.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Forumite
    Wywth wrote: »
    Most of it seems to come from the postman (no stamp, often no address) these days anyway, so I doubt it'll make much difference to that.

But then I'm signed up to http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/ ... but junk stuffed through your door by RM is not covered, and I think the advertisers know that.

thats because you didnt opt out of it

http://www.royalmail.com/you-home/controlling-your-mail
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Forumite
    As for the story. simply dont see it going ahead
    delivery staff are disillusioned and feel abandoned by the Union
    For the union to come up with this crazy idea,and expect staff to deal with the fallout on the ground is madness
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I applied for a Barclaycard with Hilton points recently, and they want printed statements, but not online statements I print myself.

This is why, wherever possible, I do not switch to online statements.

Who has had to fork out for the "most recent three months" at £5 per statement?
  • Another daft idea by the union that agreed to 4 hour long delivery shifts and late finishing times.
    One thing though is that RM make a loss delivering this stuff,prob why stamp prices went sky high this year.
    I have a deep burning indifference
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport