PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Super Scrimpers

Comments

• Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    As one granny to another.

I even remember using boot polish for mascara!!

I used to use a little hard setting hair gel and dark grey or brown powder eye shadow mixed together. :p
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • katieowl_2
    katieowl_2 Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    elsiepac wrote: »
    cooking-mama ..unfortunately my over-ripe bananas are destined for banana and coconut porridge for the next 2 days...yuuuuuuum :D

LC

OK spill the beans...is this a recipe? or ordinary porridge with banana and coconut (milk? Dessicated?) stirred in? It sounds YUM!

Kate
  • Memory_Girl
    Memory_Girl Posts: 4,957 Forumite
    mmmsnow wrote: »
    The home made playdough contains 2 cups of flour and a cup of salt. I wouldn't say it was "safe" to eat, especially not for a child!

Trust me - they only try it once, it tastes so horrible they soon learn. Every kid at playgroup has eaten some at one point - but never twice.

My DS1 watched this with me last night - he is only eleven but even he was :eek: at the £16 Sunday Dinner. In fact we are not a kick off that for a weekly shop at the mo (decent freezer full and fantastic stock cupboard - its not that I'm not feeding the kids)

As for the cushion covers - you got to start somewhere. If you can learn to sew a straight line you can learn to sew anything - once you get the nerve to dive on in.

MG
    FINALLY AND OFFICIALLY DEBT FREE
    Small Emergency Fund £500 / £500
    Pay off all Debts £10,000 / £10,000
    Grown Up Emergency Fund £6000 / £6000 :j
    Pension Provision £6688/£2376
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MandM90 wrote: »
    Ashamed to say I used to spend upwards of 80 a month on manicures and pedicures. Now I just DIY. At first I really missed getting it done but now I've got so much better at it I can't believe I ever wasted the money. Plus it's nice to have my real nails and not icky false ones; just takes a little more TLC.

My DD1 seemed to be quite interested in the nail varnish, particularly using the hole punch cover thingies for a French Manicure - I expect I'll see her over the weekend with beautifully done nails :D

I was shocked when my sister told me that she spends £27 getting her nails done every three weeks :eek: I'm really cheap and just use the nail clippers (I hate nails which go past the ends of my fingers, they have to be really short). I really wish I could be more obsessed about what I look like, but it's such a struggle :rotfl:(and DH loves me to bits the way I am :D)
  • Justamum
    spike7451 wrote: »
    Mand,
    If you want some funky colors,again have a look in model shops,you can buy tubs of Acrylic water based paints in dayglo,clear & other colors that'll last for ages.If you're going to buy them,get the Revell ones as opposed to Humbrol,they give a flatter finish.

Would they come off your nails as easily as nail varnish though? Unless I'm being really ignorant and they are essentially the same thing?
  • Justamum
    PIGSMAYFLY wrote: »
    Oh no that mascara tip looks awful!

It looked really clumpy didn't it?
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Eliza wrote: »
    I thought everyone did that!! In the 60s my friends and I always used talc to make huge spiky lashes - I still do it now and I bet lots of other grannies my age do. But my technique is masses better than hers - you draw your lashes down onto the brush, with some pressure which separates them well, rather than push the brush up into the lashes which makes them go claggy. Much subtler you'll be relieved to hear.

That's the thing though, some of us have always done these different tips and take them for granted, to others they're brand new.

Next thing you'll be suggesting Eliza is that we mix sugar and water in a spray bottle to lacquer our hair in place!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I enjoy the programme too, you never know when you might learn something new or have your memory refreshed. I also detest the hat, and find MrsM not over-bright for a financial whizz. It's probably the dumbing down of TV all over again. I think the best idea is to record the programme and fast forward over adverts and the repetetive bits after the ads (you know where they assume you have the attention span of a gnat and are too stupid to realise they're just saving money stretching the programme).

Incidentally, I have my (natural) nails professionally, shaped and polished for £5 for special occasions. It's worth checking out local nail bars. Although they're designed for acrylic nails they often do a cheap polish or manicure (£10 in mine) very cheaply for real nails. It's not the lovely, ambience of a beauty salon but a good mse compromise.
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    edited 24 January 2012 at 3:10PM
    candygirl wrote: »
    Thanks chuck, so then will my glass designs not smudge?:D:D

Nope,I regulary have to dust my models using my gf's old blusher brush & it's still OK,the clear canopies often have a mold seam down them that has to be sanded off & polished,dipping them in Klear helps restore them.This entire model was coated in Klear before the markings were added.

P260811_1525_01.jpg

It's not every day you make a model kit of a jet you have actually worked on!
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Justamum wrote: »
    Would they come off your nails as easily as nail varnish though? Unless I'm being really ignorant and they are essentially the same thing?

Should do,they're water based so a good scrub with the ol' nail scrubber & hot soapy water should do it
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I haven't watched Superscrimpers yet - probably won't get the chance until Sunday - but I had to share with you all my husband's comment when I told him I wanted to record it. He said "Why? You know all this stuff already. You could teach them how to do it!".:rotfl:

Reading everyone's comments here, I think he was talking about all of you.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport