Which is the best shower to buy??

Could anyone give me any advice please on the best type of shower to buy. We have a combi boiler [it's an old one though and not very reliable] and we would like to have a shower fitted. What type should we buy, are the cheaper ones worth getting, or should we pay more? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• I'm sure several people would suggest that you have an electric heater shower in view of the fact that you don't consider your combi to be very reliable, and this would be an advantage should the combi break down. However, the performance of these is not great, and they use alot of electricity, and can be expensive to have fitted.

There are many budget thermostatic shower valves on the market for as little as £80 that can be fitted directly to your hot and cold supplies. If you want something a little more contemporary then the Aqualisa Quartz is probably the best mid-price on the market, in my opinion, at around £400.

In all cases you will need to check water pressures and flow rates against manufacturers' minimum requirements.
  • doogie
    doogie Posts: 848 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We put in a shower as we got our bathroom done at the same time we got central heating fitted for the first time in our new house.

Your choices are generally between electric/ mains/ power - I *think* power needs storage, not a combi but not 100% sure. Electric is cold feed only and has it's own internal heater (think they start about 8.5kw and I'm sure I've seen 13kw ones) - the bigger the heater the more water you can heat in the same amount of time and thus the better a shower you can get, at the expense of using more electrickery. Having an electric means you will need to run sparks directly from your consumer unit to the bathroom.

If your combi has a decent output (ie it's reliable and you have a reasonable water pressure) then a mains is ideal, it's what we got - a whole shower cabinet with tray and shower for a couple of hundred quid from B&Q on a promotion 6 months ago (IIRC it was called shower 2 go or similar) - this just takes a cold feed from your cold main and a hot feed from your combi and you change the ratio with the controller bit.... no sparks etc to run to the bathroom, but not totally sure what options are available for mains if you're just adding it to a bath and not putting in a whole cubicle.

If you have a bath then to check that you can take a mains shower, get a tap connector shower (sub £5 sort of thing) and see how good the water force is to make sure you'll get decent shower pressure.

Personally I don't rate electric showers, but that's possibly just because of my experience of low wattage units with practically a dribble of water coming out of them, even less on a cold day when the water is colder to start with so takes longer to heat up.

Hope that helps a little!
    Shuffle up and deal!
  • Thanks to both of you guys for this advice. sounds like I should stay away from electric showers! Much appreciated thanks again.
  • A lot depends on what you mean by your combi boiler being unreliable. If you have a low flow rate off the mains then it is best to stay away from a mains shower and go for an electric (for the reasons people have already said). The most reliable brands tend to be Aqualisa and Mira. Their showers last well, and quite importantly, are backed up with a good spare parts service if anything goes wrong (you can still get spare parts for showers over 20 years old). For a basic electric shower, the Mira Zest is a good choice, and costs around £110. The output in kw is important in terms of the flow rate that will be achieved through an electric shower. An output of 10.5 kw will give approx 30% more flow rate than the basic 7.5kw electric shower, but will also require more substantial electric cables and be more expensive to fit as a result (check out Mira Sport 10.5kw).

If you have a decent flow rate through the combi boiler, a mains shower is a better choice and cheaper to install. The Aqualisa Quartz (already mentioned) is an excellent shower and has won several awards. If you got the off-the-wall model it would be easier to fit and thus installation cost should be cheaper - you'd need the standard one rather than pumped for a combi boiler. Apart from that, I'd recommend the special combi-friendly showerd from Mira - I've got the Combiflow which is easy to operate and great for these systems; the 415 / combiforce is a cheaper option.
  • Thanks for your help courduroy-boy The flow rate from the combi isn't too good so looks like an electric one after all.
  • Why not just ask a couple of plumbers to come and give you a price. They can then advise you on whether your combi is suitable or not. Better to get a professional opinion on site really. I'd go with recommending Mira too, excellent after sales service too.
  • Thanks I think I will do this, leave it to the professionals...they know best....as long as I can get free quotes!!!! spoken like a true money saver!!
  • djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    If the quote aint free find someone else...lol
    Plenty of plumbers in yellow pages.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hello corduroy-boy

Welcome to the MSE site.:wave:
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • coolagarry
    coolagarry Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've got one directly off the mains and I've got an electric one. I much prefer the electric one. Mine is 8kw and for me it's perfectly adequate but remember it has to be wired directly off the mains so that is an added expense.
    In my case I decided to have my consumer unit changed so now it trips out if I have electrical problems - much better than the old fuses I used to have
    I'm Glad to be here... At my age I'm glad to be anywhere!!
    I'm not losing my hair... I'm getting more head!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure