PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017

Comments

• On the MMM front

Make do: Still eating mostly from the cupboards and freezer. Was hoping to hold out til Tues before going shopping but went yesterday as we've got friends coming for supper in the week and I had a voucher to use which saved me £5 on a £25 shop. Bought plenty of store cupboard stuff and a few YS bargains.

Minimise: Used a rail travel voucher which was close to expiry to fund a smashing day out.

Mend: Did a quick repair to DGD buggy to enable us to use it today but it needs a proper strip down and re-assemble. Will go on the mending 'to do' list

'Live simply so that others may simply live'
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Our new dishwasher arrived after we sadly accepted that our old one could not be mended. We got John Lewis to take away the old one but had to pay £9 for it. I think the legislation simply says that they have to facilitate disposal. Some retailers pay for recycling facilities which people can use, others will provide a disposal service, but it doesn't have to be free - and if it is the costs are still passed on one way or another
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Good morning all, weekend was not very successful in MMM'ing - went out for a birthday meal for my FIL and as it was my treat - spent £50 for him, me, LO and BiL. Got a free bottle of house red and Bil bought a round of drinks and puddings so could have been worse.
    Fixed the gaping hole in my kitchen by borrowing my other Bil's freezer which had been stored in my shed for 4 years as he didn't need it, its quite old but works so winner!
    For the rest of the meals we have eaten from stores and the only mend I did was family relations as we spent quite a lot of time together this weekend!
    Debt to pay off: £1600 Jan £1400
    Emergency Fund £200 £230 saved of £1000 
  • CAZBEAR
    CAZBEAR Posts: 554 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi, would it be ok to join in please ?? I'm an avid reader of this thread and thought it was about time I contributed a bit !!

Thanks to RainbowHippie for the grated cheese in freezer tub tip...I often waste that so i'll be trying that for sure!
    this weekend I've made do with sprouting spuds by making dauphinoise potatoes and boulangere potatoes for tea and the freezer, also used up carrots for soup and ys toastie pockets for lunch..

no mending but I minimized a stack of bills/bank statements/receipts etc by filing them where they should be... and feel much better for it tbh!!
    I'm trying to keep the supermarket spends down as I have no coupons at the moment, and the house is still bulging with stuff from Christmas,so hopefully just need a bit of fruit and veg...unless the YS's and poundstretcher bargains are too good to resist!!
    Best headline ever on local paper??
    "Weight loss group doubles in size"
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    The hubs did the minimise this weekend as he has a huge pile of wombled furniture board (being thrown out at work) and made us a nice little shelf.
    Hopefully more projects to come from that pile as I have made a few suggestions and he is dying to use his new circular saw .
    I have been mending a broken hague linker (for making up knitting projects) I bought on ebay. So far I have replaced the pins and glued a couple of plastic parts that had cracked. Everything is there and looks to be fine (just the loose pins and the cracked plastic housing) so should be up and running soon. The worst part is waiting for the JB Weld to set between gluing tasks. The JB weld was free to me as OH bought it about 3 years ago for a motorbike mend and it is still quite useable.
    Make do this weekend was soup made from our liver and bacon left overs which turned out quite yummily.
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    thriftwizard – Your “new to you” chopping board sounds great. What a bargain for just a few minutes of your time. :cool:
    Some retailers pay for recycling facilities which people can use, others will provide a disposal service, but it doesn't have to be free - and if it is the costs are still passed on one way or another. Originally posted by maryb
    Yes, any costs incurred are never “free”; it’s always the end-customer who pays eventually.
    weekend was not very successful in MMM'ing Originally posted by Hughesfamily
    Don’t feel too guilty about the spends, we all need a treat now and again. Unfortunately (for you) you were the one doing the treating but you know what they say: what goes around comes around, so hopefully next time you’ll be on the receiving end!

Sunday dinner was roast lamb (from the freezer, a YS purchase before Xmas), cold slices with chips and salad tonight, and there’ll still be enough for another meal from it; either a casserole or a curry – depends what we fancy.

culpepper – I could do with borrowing your hubs for jobs involving wood; it’s not that mine won’t do it, he just not very good at it. To be fair though, I rarely have to engage a plumber for leaks or to fix the central heating.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Evening all

Doing well on the minimising me front - went for a run round the park on Saturday and ran home from work today.

I cooked goose legs for lunch yesterday which we got from family before Christmas. I'd never cooked goose before but it was yummy. Plenty of leftovers so had some for tea tonight with fried roasties and balsamic tomatoes. Ran out of usual balsamic vinegar so made do with white balsamic vinegar. Popped the rest of the goose meat into the freezer for another day.

Minimised various bits of paperwork over the weekend and have a load to shred, will take it into work in batches. The plug in the bathroom sink was no longer attached to the sink so mended that over the weekend.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10542.72/£15000 (70.3% saved). Emergency fund - £1402.24/£1500 (93.5% saved).
  • Evening all

Well am now on page 9 - yes i do know the time but it is at last quiet in my house as DS1 +GF + DG gone to bed! Am half listening to some catch up recorded West Wing while reading on here during the adverts. :) Am so glad I treated myself to Sky in my semi retirement - I can still get to watch and enjoy the heavier things which I enjoy - such as murder mysteries and political intrigue. Not Gfs kinda thing and she starts to chat just at a vital plot bit so I watch once they have gone to bed. :D

Make do: Still on our meal plan - so eating from stores except for buying milk yesterday - my darned silly fridge (left behind by previous owners) doesnt take a 4 pint carton of milk! Have a fridge jug and must remember to buy the 4 pints and use that!!:o

Mend: My son put the 'eyes' on the back of two frames I had painted before I broke my wrist and now 2 of my certificates can go up - once, that is, I can find the picture wire I know I put somewhere sensible ........... :rotfl:

Minimise: woke up at 5 am last night with the 'red sock in a white load' mind set - thoughts and chores all whirling round in my head! So did something useful - since I couldnt sleep - found out how the 'note' function worked on my phone and made a list of chores + shopping and then went back to sleep!!! Have minimised this list effectively - including phoning banks; putting shell points on my card (where I had forgotten to take the card to the garage!) writing a letter to a friend - whos birthday I had missed! So pleased with that. also minimised 2 (now read) books to a CS.

Vodkawhich - I have not long read your news - nothing I can say will be sufficient but I feel very upset for you - I hope you find some comfort in your friends on here.

Very happy to see lurkers come out of the shadows. Brilliant!! I lurked for a long time before becoming a regular poster and the inspirational people on here (silversava; GQ; Princesszellin; Jackie O; Misstra to name a few!) kept me on track and there was always an answer on here for me!! No matter what daft question I had - so speak up folks! :D
    Nite all
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Morning all
    Hugs where needed and I hope everyone is as well as possible

Made do with a bit of a use up from the freezer last night, veggie meatball casserole, for a throw together it worked quite well.

Did some more cross stitch so minimised a few hours and some threads.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Making do by using up the last of the leek and potato soup for lunch today,tonight's meal comes via the pub quiz ,probably bangers and chips and is included in the £2.00 quiz price so excellent value, so no cooking for me tonight :)
    No mending to do but I do have a band to knit around part of my charity blanket so I may do that this morning.
    I will probably minimise the small amount of ironing that is sitting on top of the stool in the kitchen so its out of the way.

Weather isn't too bad and the sun is up and shining although not brilliantly warm its at least not frosty today.
    I am off to my U3A coffee morning this morning as I get two free coffees or tea per month with my Dobbies card,so a cuppa and a natter with friends is just the ticket for a tuesday morning.

Have a good day chums what ever you are doing

Cheers JackieO xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family