wanderlust23
wanderlust23 Posts: 144 Forumite
edited 3 February 2018 at 6:40PM in Motoring
Old thread. Do not revive!

Comments

• scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    10 seconds at 70mph is approximately 250 yards, was that the speed limit?

Anyway, regardless you maybe moved across 50 yards too soon, I wouldn't worry too much as there are a lot of impatient drivers out there and you probably cost him about 3 seconds.

* yard = meter near as makes no difference
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • dannyrst
    dannyrst Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi all,

I've only been driving a couple of weeks and would like some clarification. Yesterday, when travelling to work I moved into the right hand lane on a dual carriageway as I needed to take the next right. I was doing the maximum speed limit for the road and couldn't have been in the right lane for more than 10 seconds before another driver was tailgating me and flashing his headlights trying to get me to back move over. I was speaking to some friends after who said it was probably because I was "hogging" the right lane.

If I'm doing the maximum speed limit for that road and I plan on taking the next right I fail to see what the issue is? There are also speed cameras along that very road and yet people seem to not be bothered. Personally, I don't want a fine and points on my license when I've only been driving for a matter of weeks!

Moving across to the right hand lane to take an exit isn't an exact science of saying you should move over at such and such time. You have to judge the traffic most importantly to make sure you have enough time to safely move over. The best thing to do is simply ignore this guy who flashed you, perhaps he wasn't paying enough attention to realise there was a right hand turn just ahead and saw you as someone just hogging the lane.

I wouldn't worry too much. If things happened as you explain, you have done nothing wrong.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Don't worry about it. there are a lot of drivers out there who get obsessed over the whole "move left" thing, to the point that they expect people to do so when it's not appropriate.

In your case, if you're taking a right turn then moving to the right lane in plenty of time is FAR better than staying left and suddenly trying to dive across at the last minute, but you'll always get the idiots who seem to really think the last-minute-dive approach is correct because "keeping left" is the be-all and end-all of DC driving.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Whether other people want to exceed the limit or not is up to them, it isn't a good reason for you being in the wrong lane.

You say you were approaching your turn but don't mention whether you were indicating. If you had been, then instead of flashing and tailgating, he would have been able to pull into the LH lane and go by safely on the inside.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If I'm doing the maximum speed limit for that road and I plan on taking the next right I fail to see what the issue is? There are also speed cameras along that very road and yet people seem to not be bothered. Personally, I don't want a fine and points on my license when I've only been driving for a matter of weeks!

That's really only relevant to what you describe if there is a speed camera on the stretch of road between where you moved into the right hand lane and the junction you were turning at, was there?
  • Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    This is why all cars should have front/ rear mounted rocket launchers!
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • Joe_Horner wrote: »
    Don't worry about it. there are a lot of drivers out there who get obsessed over the whole "move left" thing, to the point that they expect people to do so when it's not appropriate.

In your case, if you're taking a right turn then moving to the right lane in plenty of time is FAR better than staying left and suddenly trying to dive across at the last minute, but you'll always get the idiots who seem to really think the last-minute-dive approach is correct because "keeping left" is the be-all and end-all of DC driving.
    My thinking exactly. Seen this exact scenario many times!
    Biggles wrote: »
    Whether other people want to exceed the limit or not is up to them, it isn't a good reason for you being in the wrong lane.

You say you were approaching your turn but don't mention whether you were indicating. If you had been, then instead of flashing and tailgating, he would have been able to pull into the LH lane and go by safely on the inside.
    Read above. I moved into the right lane because I knew my turn was not too far ahead so at the point he was flashing me, I was still doing the speed limit for that road so I'm not too sure how I was in the "wrong" lane? No need to flash me unless ofcourse he was speeding.
    Johno100 wrote: »
    That's really only relevant to what you describe if there is a speed camera on the stretch of road between where you moved into the right hand lane and the junction you were turning at, was there?
    Well shouldn't everyone be obeying the speed limits regardless? Way too many drivers speed and expect others to do the same.
  • 10 seconds at 70mph is approximately 250 yards, was that the speed limit?

Anyway, regardless you maybe moved across 50 yards too soon, I wouldn't worry too much as there are a lot of impatient drivers out there and you probably cost him about 3 seconds.

* yard = meter near as makes no difference
    It was a 40mph road. It's like when drivers go speeding round other cars only to hit a red light and be sat next to the very car they just dangerously undertook....completely pointless.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My thinking exactly. Seen this exact scenario many times!

Read above. I moved into the right lane because I knew my turn was not too far ahead so at the point he was flashing me, I was still doing the speed limit for that road so I'm not too sure how I was in the "wrong" lane? No need to flash me unless ofcourse he was speeding.

Well shouldn't everyone be obeying the speed limits regardless? Way too many drivers speed and expect others to do the same.

You say in your OP "I've only been driving a couple of weeks":exclamati

I'd suggest you concentrate on what you are doing on the road before seeking to 'police' the actions of others.
  • Johno100 wrote: »
    You say in your OP "I've only been driving a couple of weeks":exclamati

I'd suggest you concentrate on what you are doing on the road before seeking to 'police' the actions of others.
    I meant as a qualified driver obviously. I saw many of these scenarios as a learner. Thanks for your suggestion but I still fail to see where I am in the wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure