2017 - No Clutter To Be Seen

Comments

• oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    OUT general kitchen waste and a pair of old shoes.
  • Saver-upper
    Saver-upper Posts: 2,336
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 March 2017 at 1:18AM
    I had a day off today,and,after finishing the front room on Sunday,the plan for today was to "declutter" OH and my bedroom.To explain,when we packed up all our belongings to prepare for house extension in Sept 15,just about everything belonging to the rooms that were being demolished and rebuilt (kitchen,dining room,large garage,utility room),was boxed up.

Now,I am not using the word lightly,but my OH,is a real hoarder.You really wouldn't believe the stuff he holds onto.The garage we had demolished,literally,was full,floor to ceiling,with boxes of his "stuff".Just sooooooooo much stuffffffffffffff.:eek:.

So when we moved back into our brand new,sparkling extended house,he moved alot of his stuff back into the re-built garage (now a very nice man-cave,and set it up how he wants it.However,alot of it was still in our bedroom :eek:.

For the last couple of days I have been telling him I would start on our bedroom today.And I did.To his mancave,I transferred every box,every plastic container,every pile of paper,every bag of paper,every 1/2 collection of prepping supplies,every DVD,CD,every bag of concrete(!),every bag of plaster(!),every box of broken tiles and laminate off-cuts (just incase.....),every bag of spontaneous buys from cheap-jack shops......All gone :j:j:j.

Now,of course,I couldn't just throw all his belongings straight into the bin-he needs to sort through it.And I know he won't do that for many years yet.But at least it is now in "his" space.A converted,cluttered garage space is not an area I will spend any time-I can just close the door on it :D.But our bedroom is ,of course,part of the family home,and it looks beautiful.Probably just a little toooo empty,though I am sure that will be fixed with the addition of a few photos on the bare walls,maybe a light-shade,maybe even a cupboard for my clothes :eek:.
    Total time spent "decluttering" today,6 hours 45 minutes :eek::eek:(spread out over 12 hours).
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• gemmajenkins0208
    gemmajenkins0208 Posts: 527
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 8 March 2017 at 11:06AM
    Oh, I haven't mentioned it for a while, but dad and I are still going strong with our reduced alcohol/energy drink(respectively) intake :j

He does have one or 2 over the weekend but we are the kind of people who always have a Sunday roast without fail and see Sunday as the day of rest :o

I also may have one on the way to work on Friday mornings(last working day of the week) and may buy a coffee for the bus home, depending on what I feel like(sometimes after a week at work I'm too tired to do anything when I get home and on Fridays I like to change my bedsheets, jump in the shower, put my work clothes on to wash from the week and do some other bits and bobs to set me up for the weekend :o )

This weekend, although once again not decluttering in the strict sense, simply put, my boyfriend and I are gamers(probably obvious from where I said about games consoles when I bought a new tv unit the other week), and there is this one game I started playing months ago and I still haven't completed yet :rotfl:

So my aim this weekend(preferably Friday evening as I don't think I actually have much left to complete on the game, and I don't need to go to bed early for work the next day) I'm going to complete it! :D

I don't think this is just about decluttering really, I think it's also completing all those half-done things that were started and then just stopped due to real life getting in the way :o
  • Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Back from my travels and ready to do more decluttering. Here's a quick update before I read back:
    477 – Candle light thing – CS
    478 - 3rd carpet – tip
    480 – 2 paint pots bin
  • eandjsmum
    eandjsmum Posts: 465
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Not much going on here, just using up toiletry mountain. House now much clearer. I will get round to sorting out much more stuff later Though.
  • Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Well I passed the 500 mark yesterday and feel quite good about keeping on track. There's still plenty to do and the house looks more untidy when I'm in it. but hey ho.
    I'm still trying to make time for reading - so I can then get rid of the books. And I'm making some bread this morning as I have quite a bit of flour which needs to shift. Here's my update:
    481 – Christmas cards recycled
    482 – birthday cards recycled
    483 – 9 dvds CS
    494 – 3 Cds CS
    495 – top – bin
    496 – Duvet set – CS
    497 – 3 books – CS
    498 – Piece of felt – CS
    499 – Assessment book – bin
    500 – notebook – bin
    501 – Stack of paper - recycled
  • Saver-upper
    Saver-upper Posts: 2,336
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

While sitting down tonight,I sorted through 2small bundles of papers: some mail to be filed,school reports to keep,cards from kids to keep,some expired vouchers to shred/recycle.Will count this,plus kids' paper-sorting,as 1,so 437.

438:last night,while watching tv,sorted through another small bundle of papers-mostly Christmas receipts.I have always liked keeping receipts for Chritmas and birthdays,as a record of what pressies the kids get as they get older,but I couldn't tell you where the receipts are.Might be in random envelopes, in various boxes around the house.Maybe in another cull, I will decluter them as I find them.
    Some Christmas receipts I do nneed to keep,for the warranty.

Every day this week,I have told myself I am going to do decluttering that night,after kids have gone to bed.Apart from a couple of bundles of paper,nothing has been done.ANd the front room I finished decluttering last weekend is still full of bags of stuff for charity shops.Hope to do a bit of catching up n the weekend.
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• KitKatMum2
    KitKatMum2 Posts: 120 Forumite
    Latest List...

567. watch
    568. novelty pen
    569.-570. baby clothes
    571.-573 bibs
    574.-575 toys
    576.-577 hair accessories
    577.-584 earrings
    585-586. underwear
    587-589. books
    590. skirt
    591. dental stuff
    592-.595 bracelets
    596. necklace
    597 - 600 perfume
    601-602. beauty samples
    603. bath bomb
    604. cup
    605. candle
  • Just changed my bedsheets and cracked the window open as, for once, the boyfriend was up as he had to be somewhere for 10!

I still want to try and play that game I want to complete tonight when I'm home form work, had dinner and a shower.

I think I'm going to have to go through the charity shop bags as I pulled a pair of jeans back out from one of the bags the other day and there are a couple other things I'm looking for and I'm sure I've put them in one of the bags. I think I was a bit overzealous with getting rid of things :rotfl:

I'm busy all week with work and then I usually get the weekends to myself but this weekend will be the last weekend for a while as we have lots going on over the next month or so - a hen night, a wedding, shopping for outfits/accessories to complete our outfits, nail/hair appointments etc. so I want to try and do what I can in/around the house this weekend - completing that game, finally sorting out the airing cupboard, and I need to take new pictures of the stuff we're trying to sell and relist it all :o
  • somerandom
    somerandom Posts: 920
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    somerandom wrote: »
    168. dead tights - bin
    169. hoodie
    170. nightie
    171 & 2 - more dead tights
    173 - vest top
    Shifting my energy for 2020 :heart::heart::heart:
This discussion has been closed.