Credit Cards for Isle of Man resident

I've never had an issue getting credit cards - I earn a good salary, we have our own home and sufficient disposable income - but I'm having difficulty finding a card to shift a balance to because of where I live.

It seems in the last 6 months or so, credit card providers have stopped classing the Isle of Man as part of the UK, and so won't accept credit card applications from Isle of Man residents.

Does anyone know why this is? And can anyone suggest a card I can try with a decent 0% balance transfer offer?

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Isle of Man banks?

Either that or a lot of homework before applying for a UK card.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    For some suggestions see this thread: Credit cards
    I don't know how up-to-date the information is as the thread is more than 6 months old.
  • ricky_v
    ricky_v Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ruby_Roo wrote: »

It seems in the last 6 months or so, credit card providers have stopped classing the Isle of Man as part of the UK, and so won't accept credit card applications from Isle of Man residents.

Does anyone know why this is?

IOM isn't officially part of the UK. The fact the island is a self governing crown dependency will be your answer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_dependencies
  • Barclays seems to offer one.
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • bouncydog1
    bouncydog1 Posts: 2,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Channel Island residents effectively have the same issue. MBNA issue to CI residents and so do Halifax Clarity, but you may have to ring them as it appears that you can no longer apply online. Lloyds you will probably have to apply locally and offers are nowhere as good as those offered nationally from what the website states.

You could also try Barclays. Virgin cards were offered by MBNA so could also try them. Best plan is to ring them up and ask rather than apply online in case you get through to final stages and then get declined.

Very frustrating!
  • This question is very much informative and useful.I am one of resident in Isle.I also want to know how to make a credit card. If anyone suggest more information or post useful links in this site which will helpful for us.
  • 12user wrote: »
    This question is very much informative and useful.I am one of resident in Isle.I also want to know how to make a credit card. If anyone suggest more information or post useful links in this site which will helpful for us.

Welcome to the Forum. You have a quaint use of English. Is that standard dialect on the IoM? I look forward to reading more posts from you.
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • I am also having trouble finding a credit card i would be accepted for on the Isle of Man as a first time credit card. I recently lived in the UK and there are plenty i would have been able to get, but here it is a different story. Any advice greatly apprecited.
  • As from August this year, M&S, Lloyds and Tesco are not accepting new applications for credit cards from Isle of Man residents. You cannot get a credit card from Virgin or First Direct either but at least Virgin has been up front about this for a while now. Noone I have asked on theirr helplines seems to know why this is, or if they do they are not telling. It may be fall out from Brexit, but as we were not in the EU anyway why would it make a difference? A policy decision has been taken somewhere and this is the result. It's pretty rich of M&S and Tesco since they have 2 of their most profitable stores in the UK sitting right here in Douglas and they are more than happy to take our money. The other thing is that a refusal goes on your credit report and they do not say why - and in this case it is nothing to do with your monetary situation.
  • The other thing is that a refusal goes on your credit report

No, it doesn't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family