PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Disposal of old kitchen knives

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Can't they go in the metal recycling box?
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Our recycling centre takes them. They take everything though, old cooking oil, paint, everything.

Very little goes to landfill here
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Can't they go in the metal recycling box?

Not in my area. It's specifically listed as not allowed in the blue bin. That's if I actually had a blue bin. As I live in a block of flats everything goes in the bin for landfill.

http://www.eaststaffsbc.gov.uk/bins-rubbish-recycling/blue-bin
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Hi CANDLELIGHT have just run the question into the computer and the police answer that came up is to take them to the recycling centre where there will be a waste metal bin and they will safely go in that. Hope that helps, Lyn xxx.
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,244
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Just do not do what a kind person did yesterday...put some in a black bin bag in with clothing and donate to our charity shop!!!!!
  • honeythewitch
    honeythewitch Posts: 1,089
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    emg wrote: »
    someone asked this question before and a poster suggested putting them inside a pringles tube and then into the bin. Seemed like a good reason to buy pringles to me!

I much prefer your your method to mine.
    I stick mine in a raw potato and bin it. :D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I would probably try the recycling at the local tip if you decide that they aren't worth sharpening. Gone are the days of the knife grinder on his bike that used to come around the streets when I was a child in London
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    JackieO wrote: »
    I would probably try the recycling at the local tip if you decide that they aren't worth sharpening. Gone are the days of the knife grinder on his bike that used to come around the streets when I was a child in London

I just about have memories of that, more so when he came in his van :)

Btw, your butcher will sharpen your knives for you. Just transport them wrapped and bagged
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,903
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Have you considered offering them to your local Scout pack as materials for a knife handling & sharpening session?
    We'd usually have a leader come out & collect them within the week! Then proper sharp knives for camp.... Bliss!
  • Thank you all for your suggestions.

What I have done, as suggested earlier, is invested in a knife sharpener (why didn't I do this years ago) and wow, I just have to make sure I don't cut my fingers off now. It only cost £10 from Am*zon .

I hadn't realised how blunt the knives were, I knew they were not sharp, but this has made the world of difference. I have only sharpened 2 so far, and I think 3 more to go.

Many thanks

Candlelightx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family