Mum's in debt and Rossendales are adding charges!!!

Options
Hi Everyone,

Never posted here before but in need of some advice as I have no idea what to do.

Basically, my mum is in debt to the local council for council tax arrears (not really her fault as they kept screwing up her discounts etc.). They told her that they wouldn't set up a payment plan with her unless it had gone to court, which it has done, and now she has found out that the debt has been passed to Rossendales. The council said that she needed to call them, and she did before she had even received any official paperwork from the bailiffs. They said that she needed to pay off the debt within 12 weeks or charges would be added and she told them that she didn't think she would be able to do this as she is disabled and works on a 0 hours contract. They then automatically added an extra £75 to the bill before the 12 weeks was up!!!!

I am a disabled student but said that I would try and help her pay it off with money I've been putting aside for a new wheelchair, so she called them today and they have said that they won't remove the £75 charge and that they won't deal with her now as they have already passed it onto one of their bailiffs and that we should expect a visit soon - for the pleasure of which they will charge £235.

I've told her to not invite a bailiff in but can they really charge this much for a visit and can they just add £75 even though the 12 week timescale is up?? The paperwork says a Liability Order has been granted but nothing else, so does this mean that they can force their way in or could they levy a £450 debt against her car??

Sorry for the long rant! Want to help her but have no idea what to do :(

Comments

• Muttipops
    Options
    Not only do not invite a bailiff in, keep the doors locked and don't answer them until you have looked who is there and you know them. They cannot force their way in.
    Someone will be along who will know the ins and out sof this scenario as it is not uncommon, but I don't have sufficient knowledge to help.
    In the meantime, keep your savings, as I am sure there will be something that can be done to help your Mum without the need for you to loose sight of a new wheelchair.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 September 2016 at 5:01PM
    Options
    Hi Yaz101,

Once the debt is passed to the bailiffs they are allowed to charge a £75 Compliance fee, this is done automatically when they send the notice of enforcement letter. They are only required to give 7days notice before a visit. Once a visit has taken place they can charge the £235 enforcement fee as well I am afraid. However, as long as they do not get inside or take control of her car, there are no more fees they can charge.

So, you are right, you mum should refuse them entry, keep her home locked and secure and hide her car to keep everything safe from the bailiffs and prevent any further fees.

She should only deal with the office in writing or email from now on. Send a letter and attach a budget or Statement of Affairs (SOA) http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php to make an offer to repay and make them aware of her health. If that is refused she may be able to pay online or save the money until she has enough. She can write to the council and ask them to take the debt back from the bailiffs. This is at their discretion but she can raise issues about previous discounts and remind them she is vulnerable. If they take the debt back the bailiffs fees should be removed - but this is quite rare I am afraid.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If her car is a registered mobility vehicle the bailiff can not place a charge on it - make sure it displays the required signs that it is a mobility vehicle to prevent any issues.

Get her to document - if she hasn't already - all conversation with the council and anyone else abut this debt, ideally with dates, times and names. Contact your local Councillor, most of them are very helpful and if you plead your case they might be able to influence the debt being taken back to the council instead of the bailiffs.
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport