PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cold in bed and memory foam.....for a pet.

Hi old stylers.

I've been away from Mse for a while, and while the pet board might be a more obvious place for this question I hope to solve it with an old style approach and wisdom. :)

I have a sick dog, who has lost a lot of weight. She is doing a lot better now, but she is skinny and prone to getting cold.

She has a very lovely orvis memory foam bed, which is comfortable for her bony bits, and it has 'edges' which should protect her from draught, but she is still cool. As I understand it ( I am not an expert on mattresses!) its not ideal to use an artificial heat source with memory foam.....so no heat pad or similar..... Would it really be that awful? If I put a couple of hot water bottles on the bed before she got in it so at least it was warm before she got into it? Would it damage the memory foam? I'm thinking of seeing if she would like a 'den' or tent made of a duvet over the bed too.

She loses a blanket through the night when she turns over.

Any other ideas?

Comments

• GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    There something called a snuggle safe which you microwave for around eight minutes and it stays warm for hours. Depending on the fur you can use a jumper, but it only really works for short haired dogs.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    GwylimT wrote: »
    There something called a snuggle safe which you microwave for around eight minutes and it stays warm for hours. Depending on the fur you can use a jumper, but it only really works for short haired dogs.

She has a house coat, but she is finding it intolerable. ( she is a greyhound, so very short coat, soft skin). I think she has that 'feeling ill, feeling sensitive thing ' going on, but also she cannot take any risk of pressure or pulling around her front, and I think her 'clothes' are just feeling to restrictive in her chest/neck, even though she has lost so much weight. :(.

It would so much be the easiest solution :D

I'll have A look for snuggle safe, thank you!
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You can buy self heating mats which are a layer of wadding with the silver foil style coating to one side (it's not crinkly like the foil blankets you can buy). I got some for my moggy when he'd had an amputation last year - they work a treat, reflecting back the animals own body heat - all 5 of my cats fight over them now.

I got mine in "family bargains" - around £4.99 I think - they must be available online somewhere too :)
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I'm not sure of the materials your bed is made from, but this one is apparently orthopaedic foam pads and a heat mat - http://www.dog.com/item/kh-mfg-orthopedic-heated-dog-bed/495663/

I wouldn't suggest buying it, but a materials comparison may help you figure out if buying a heat pad might work.

You suggested a duvet tent - I think that's a great idea, smaller spaces are easier to heat, but there is the chance he won't like the risk of being tangled in the fabric.

If you had a suitable cupboard or dresser, something like this might be an option for making a solid but enclosed space? (tassels optional)

home-design.jpg
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • carriebradshaw
    carriebradshaw Posts: 1,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    definitely go for the tent /den idea, our boy has a felt igloo that we bought from zooplus a few years ago and he is as warm as toast in there and he sleeps very soundly.It's way bigger than it looks inside he's got so much room and he's a big dog.we do cover him up but he usually kicks the blanket off so we halfcover the door opening with another blanket, so he can still get in and out , still has air but it's a lot warmer this way. The mattress inside was rubbish but you can use the memory foam one you've got inside it
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Ok, the den idea seems like a good one. Heat reflective blankets seems a better idea than the normal blankets I have been using too. And the snuggle safe thing too.

I feel more hopeful. She is getting very spoilt sleeping in our bed and while its fine for a treat she is too big for it to be a longtime option in a marital bed.
  • carriebradshaw
    carriebradshaw Posts: 1,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    this is the one we've got although he's got hid own mattressa nd cushions inside

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/soft_dog_beds/dog_beds/275408
  • Purple_kitten
    Purple_kitten Posts: 3,031 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    We find the vet beds work very well.
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    We find the vet beds work very well.

I LOVE vet beds! we have so me that are about thirty years old ( um, or so) and still wash ok, and some newer ones. They are unbeatable, we throw them over the 'plush beds' and on floors and in cars and they are invaluable, but they just aren't sufficient for what this girl needs right now. :(. They are far too often over looked as a fantastic basic for dog owners, I agree, but this bony girl is really in need of a little more :(.

Despite being very loved, she looks very grim, and at the vets and vet school where she was, they had her on duvets not vet beds, because she is too bony to be just on vet beds. ( sadly, she eats duvets, and now she feels a bit better but not well enough to do much, duvet eating would be just the ticket, and we are really worried she might get some duvet fluff in her lungs so the vet and I ruled that out immediately. ( which is how she ended up between my husband and I last night :o). Tbh, even if its somewhere she'd just be happy to go for a couple of hours right now, it would be a good thing. :o

She cannot have food temptation like bones or anything because she cannot yet eat by herself :(.

I think we have some good things to try. :). Thanks old stylers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure