Debt collection letter for 15 year old child

My child got up to some dodgy dealings on paypal and there were chargebacks .... but now debt collection company has started sending letters ....

What do we do?

He has a very part time job (newspaper round), so could probably pay a small amount each month.

Can the debt collection company come after us his parents?

Really don't know what to do ....

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,717
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Hi,

Whose PayPal account did they use ?

And whose card was registered to it ?

Can't of been theirs at 15 ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • izoomzoom
    izoomzoom Posts: 1,564
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It was my child's paypal account, and i think his bank account was linked to it.

I understand that he shouldn't have had a paypal account at 15, but he did ...
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,717
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    edited 11 September 2017 at 7:17PM
    If you are under 18, it is a criminal offence for anyone to send you material inviting you to borrow money or obtain goods or services on credit or hire purchase.

However, if you are over 14 but under 18, you can enter into a credit or hire purchase agreement if an adult acts as your guarantor.

You can borrow money at any age, but access to loans may be limited because a lender will not usually be able to take a young person to court if they break the terms of a loan.

This is because you cannot usually be legally held to a contract you make when you are under 18.

A simple letter to the debt collector stating he is under 18 (include proof) should put this to bed.

A stern talking too about adult responsibility to him wouldn't go a miss either.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Could it be that the child told some porkies? It does happen trust me, if so did he commit fraud?

Just saying.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    venison wrote: »
    Could it be that the child told some porkies? It does happen trust me, if so did he commit fraud?

Just saying.

Even if that is the case, the financial institutions and authorities are reluctant to take action against someone of that age. We are going through something similar with my OH's son (Card fraud at the age of 14) and it looks like no action will be taken.

I cannot agree with that approach as it sends out the wrong message about facing the consequences of your actions. In my opinion it may increase the risk of further offending as they have learnt that, even when caught, there are no consequences.
  • My understanding is that you can't sign for any credit agreement until you're 18 years of age. No overdraft, no mobile phone contract, nothing. You're not allowed to be held to any contract you sign full stop.

If he's lied about his age, then that's why the DCA are chasing him. They're just following protocol. Proving he's under that age (probably going to be a pain in the !!!!) will settle it.

However, if he's been able to fraudulently use parents card (or any other) details to sign off for credit then the parent/guardians are liable for the debt I believe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure