Adding value before making over payments

Comments

• newgirly wrote: »
    Hi Michael dh, happy first of the month to you too :)

I think you should set a challenge to clear it by 40, if you don't get there it's not the end of the world and at least you will be closer than you would have been perhaps.

Have you / Are you going to join the mfw yearly challenge? I'm not even halfway to this year's target which I set very high, but I'm still oping more than usual, I think it helps having to update and see it listed if it says im "slipping" form target.

I feel your pain with meter readings, Ive had to top up £100 recently as we were in deficit, considering it's been hot for ages it doesn't bode well for winter :eek:

Hi newgirly

Yes I think 40 is definitely a good target, that's now only 8 years and 12 days away so unlikely to be possible... definitely something to aspire too though!

What's the mfw yearly challenge? I will sign up to anything that will me to stay on track :)
    Starting Balance August 2016: £170,199.00 | Remortgaged August 2018: £212,000.00
    Current Balance (15th February 2019): £209,278.85 :eek:
    Target: Balance below £170,000.00 by August 2023 :)
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,895
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    It's the thread currently (and usually) somewhere on the first page of this board called 'MFW 2017' , there's a long explanation on the first post , you can click on the link there too and see how much people have paid off this year, sorry I can't link as even though gallygirl has told me how to a few times, I still can't do it :rotfl:
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly wrote: »
    It's the thread currently (and usually) somewhere on the first page of this board called 'MFW 2017' , there's a long explanation on the first post , you can click on the link there too and see how much people have paid off this year, sorry I can't link as even though gallygirl has told me how to a few times, I still can't do it :rotfl:

Thank you. I will take a look and join in :)
    Starting Balance August 2016: £170,199.00 | Remortgaged August 2018: £212,000.00
  • MichaelDH
    MichaelDH Posts: 154
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 5 September 2017 at 6:57AM
    Who knew that updating ones signature could be so exciting!!!

Normal monthly payment plus our shiny new over payment went out this morning and has been credited to mortgage account, so balance has decreased by £666.58 to £165.581.39 :)

Have now set myself a mini target to get the balance to £165k by the end of the month :rotfl:
  • Nice round number ... go for it :)
    Started my MFW journey in August 14 : £103,650
    2019 : £77,900
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Fingers crossed you break the £165k barrier this month.

Good work ok the utility readings, I do it religiously monthly and keep photos of my meter reads just in case of errors/problems down the line :D

Have you seen the news on Prolific about multiple accounts in the same address- worth having a read for you with you and Drew both doing prolific? http://blog.prolificacademic.co.uk/2017/08/31/some-new-account-rules-for-participants

Keep up the fab work Michael! X
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • MichaelDH
    MichaelDH Posts: 154
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 6 September 2017 at 2:14PM
    Morning Kittenkirst

If we can get to under £165.5k this month I will be really pleased. It's really very motivating seeing the balance come down - I can't believe it's taken me a year to figure this out, although to be fair we have had quite a few expenses in the last 12 months with work on the house.

Keeping photos of meter readings is a great idea. A friend of mine has recently had an issue when selling a property because the meter reading she took as she left varies massively to the reading the new occupier has submitted, so she's been billed extra and the supplier is being a !!!! about it :mad:

Have noticed on Prolific that Drew and I don't get invited to the same surveys. We did check the rules before he joined so hopefully should be fine... Drew was rather jealous last night because I got a £9 survey, though survey was actually a test which took forever and was really difficult, so he had the last laugh :o

I'm back up to a balance of £13.45 and £12.65 pending on Prolific so really pleased with that. Added bonus is that if I'm busy completing a survey then I'm not eating biscuits or chocolate :rotfl:

Have you downloaded the Chrome extension for Prolific? It's really handy for letting you know that a survey is available... I've set mine to check every minute :)
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I did try the chrome extension but as I use my work laptop (on breaks/out of hours obviously!) the extension is blocked by work software- booooooo!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Evening all

Weekend was a little spendy... Saturday we needed to buy Oscar's food and some treats (will last for 2 months) so that left us £73.95 worse off :eek: Should have been £83.95 but we had a free £10 voucher to use :) I'm sure the mut eats better than we do! :rotfl:

Did meal plan for the week and then popped to Asda for a weeks shopping. Came to £42.68 after using last weeks price guarantee vouchers (£1.67) which I don't think is too bad for the week, especially as that includes packed lunches for the two of us for the week. Also, some of what was bought has/will be used up in meals where half is frozen to use another time so less to buy in other weeks :) Have checked receipt any printed off a voucher for £1.93 to use next week.

I'm trying not to get too hung up on the grocery shop as it's important to us to eat well and enjoy our meals as we both love food. Would rather concentrate on only buying the ingredients we needs and not letting food go to waste plus cutting down on unnecessary spending like takeaways and trips to Tesco Express for chocolate, biscuits and Ben & Jerrey's ice cream :p

Did some batch cooking over the weekend. Spaghetti Bolognese for dinner on Saturday so half of the bolognese has been frozen to have next week. Sweet Chilli Turkey Burgers, which again were frozen. We've had one each tonight for dinner in a bun with some oven chips and will have the other two later in the month. Also made a chicken casserole using a load of left over veg so that's been divided and frozen. Will use half in a pie I think, and the other half for an easy Sunday dinner. Freezer meals are building up nicely and food waste is virtually zero :)

Drew's parents visited on Sunday and took us out for lunch so at least Sunday was NSD :rotfl:

In other news, survey completed on PineCone so £3 withdrawn. I've just reached 938 pints on swagbucks so £5 withdrawn, and on Prolific I'm up to £14.45 plus £12.90 pending so think I will cash out once balance is £20. Drew is almost up to £25 on Swagbucks and has just cashed out on Prolific so £22.08 after fees. Not bad at all for an hour or so a night whilst watching TV! :beer:

Apologies for the huge post... must learn to stop waffling... do think writing everything down here helps stop it all whirling around in my head though :cool:
  • Afternoon

Quick mid-week update:

Drew cashed out on Prolific so that's another £22.09 paid to the mortgage.

We've both cashed out on a few other survey sites plus withdrawn some cleared funds from Quidco, but I won't count that until funds have cleared and been sent over to the mortgage! :p

In other money saving news, we've been wanting to go for a meal at Las Iguanas for ages, haven't been before and has always been fully booked when we've tried, so have decided to go for my birthday next week. By coincidence, spotted an offer on here last night for free main course when joining the mailing list so signed up and voucher was emailed to me this morning. Sure the meal will taste even nice knowing we've saved some money! Here is the link: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/las-iguanas#deal38707 :)

We both have the week off next week, were planning to go away but didn't get round to booking anything. Think we are going to paint the hall, landing and stairs instead (fed up of looking at bare plaster and have been putting it off), go shopping for flooring, order a new sofa and try and squeeze in couple of days to relax so fingers crossed that all goes to plan!

Good luck with all your money saving and mortgage overpaying endeavours for the rest of the week :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure