Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Danniella
    • By Danniella 19th Dec 14, 1:51 PM
    • 107Posts
    • 20Thanks
    Danniella
    Asset link capital - very old visa card - advice please?
    • 19th Dec 14, 1:51 PM
    Asset link capital - very old visa card - advice please? 19th Dec 14 at 1:51 PM
    Hi there, i an not sure if this post is in the correct category so please accept my apologies if it should be somewhere else.

We had a smile visa card many many years ago which was paid off.

Today we have received a letter from The Co-operative bank informing us that 'your smile visa account has been sold to Asset Link Capital (No 5) Limited', along with a letter from asset link confirming that our account has been sold to them and state that the sale balance is £175.31 and to make payments to them in future.

We paid this off many years ago - there was no outstanding balance.

There is no contact number for The Co-operative for us to speak to them, just asset links contact number.

Does anyone know what we do now, other than contact asset link directly and tell them we dont owe any money!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks
Page 2
    • cracker666
    • By cracker666 31st Jan 15, 6:34 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cracker666
    Ive so far heard nothing.
    its been over 3 weeks since sending my letter recorded.

Do I think they will respond, no I dont.
    I think they send these fishing letters, carefully worded to be mistaken as they will take action, in the hope you will call and they will tighten the screws.

ALWAYS DEAL WITH THESE SORT OF COMPANIES VIA LETTER, easier to prove or disprove.
    Never by phone, they have trained people whom are good at nailing people.
  • ellerian
    asset link capital
    Hi all
    I too am a proud recipient of both letters however I live in Ireland have done for the last 14 years and have never done any banking with or through the Co Operative Bank. I have no clue where they resurrected my details from
    • Danniella
    • By Danniella 16th Feb 15, 10:08 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Danniella
    I received a reply back from Asset Link stating that they were referring the debt back to the original creditor ie Co-operative bank for further details (which was exactly what i told them to do in my letter).

It annoys me to think that some people would be scared to receive letters like that and would just pay up!
    • cracker666
    • By cracker666 26th Feb 15, 7:49 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cracker666
    Now correct me if im wrong, they purchased the debt, so they no longer have to refer unless they are an arm of the coop credit card devision.
    very odd.
    I wonder what if any thing ill get.
    • cracker666
    • By cracker666 30th Jul 15, 8:05 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cracker666
    Ive now received a letter stating that link financial have
    notification of account re - assessment.
    Wtf.
    dated 28 07 2015

anyone else
    • cityboys1911
    • By cityboys1911 24th May 16, 10:04 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cityboys1911
    I too received a letter today saying the same thing that Cooperative bank had sold my account and owe 1500 pounds, I rang them and told them I do not owe any money to anybody in the UK and that I have lived in the US for almost 20 years what do I do how do I get them to go away and how did they find my address after so long
    • cath3070
    • By cath3070 12th Aug 17, 10:27 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cath3070
    Help asset link
    Hi all. Can someone please help me. I was paying off an old first trust bank overdraft now with a balance of 300. Today I got a letter from the bank to say they sold the debt to asset link capital at a value of 919. Why have they sold it at the wrong amount? it's not on my credit report. I'm scared to ring them incase it ends up showing on my credit file as I'm getting ready to apply for a mortgage. Should I just ignore this altogether. If I rING it might alert them that my last payment was on in June 17 and they add it to my file then it'll ruin my score and show for 6 years. I'm so stressed worrying about this. I thought all was ok as I was paying it off, but looks like they haven't even taken in to consideration the 600 quid I've already cleared . Please help
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 13th Aug 17, 12:38 PM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 11,845 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi all. Can someone please help me. I was paying off an old first trust bank overdraft now with a balance of 300. Today I got a letter from the bank to say they sold the debt to asset link capital at a value of 919. Why have they sold it at the wrong amount? it's not on my credit report. I'm scared to ring them incase it ends up showing on my credit file as I'm getting ready to apply for a mortgage. Should I just ignore this altogether. If I rING it might alert them that my last payment was on in June 17 and they add it to my file then it'll ruin my score and show for 6 years. I'm so stressed worrying about this. I thought all was ok as I was paying it off, but looks like they haven't even taken in to consideration the 600 quid I've already cleared . Please help
    Originally posted by cath3070
    Never ring a creditor for this kind of information, send a letter to the original creditor disputing the amount they say you owe, and demanding a statement of account off them.

Never ignore things like this, its amazing how quickly an error can become the truth.

If this account has dropped off your credit file, it cannot come back again, if, it did, theirs another cause for complaint.

Inform them that if this information you have requested, is not forthcoming you will lodge a formal complaint, and, if necessary, take your case to the financial ombudsman.

Dont be scared of these idiots, stand up for your rights.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • cath3070
    • By cath3070 13th Aug 17, 9:49 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cath3070
    OK should I ring the first trust bank and ask them why they sold it at the wrong amount? I haven't received a letter from asset yet just one from first trust saying it was sold.
    Are you sure asset cant readd this to my credit file?
    • cath3070
    • By cath3070 13th Aug 17, 9:51 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cath3070
    Also If my last payment was only in June can't that mean they can add it to my file.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 13th Aug 17, 11:05 PM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 11,845 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Do as advised above.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,780Posts Today

9,460Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sneaky NAKED photo... ...of the room where many political and regional TV interviews are done. This is before the? https://t.co/fDdeKQOQuU

• The Premium Bond rate is being boosted from 1.15% to 1.4% should you pile in? My analysis... https://t.co/3Q7tjphAFO

• RT @colinjdunn: First #Plevin cheque received this morning - £548.66 from Nationwide & with other claims still outstanding - so thanks @Mar?

• Follow Martin