PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

To blanche or not to blanche?

I have a lot of French beans from the garden and want to freeze them, but should I blanche them or not? And if I should, how do I do it?
What do you do?
Also, can you freeze beetroot?

Comments

• I don't blanch, just slice them really fine with a bean slicer, stick 'em in a poly bag and straight in the freezer!

I've tried blanching them but they just don't taste right to me once they've been blanched.
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My late MIL was a great gardener and produced some of the largest beetroot that I have ever seen. She used to par cook them...time will depend on size, then cool and freeze until she wanted them and finish the cooking...she often served beetroot hot with a white sauce and it was very good.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • Bobbykins, do you cook them from frozen? Or do you defrost first?
  • I think you'd cook the beans from frozen, like peas.
  • This is very helpful, as my mum's just given me a huge bag of runner beans! I'm eating some tonight with toad in the hole, but I can't eat them all at once. I've blanched RBs before, boil 2 mins and immerse in iced water, but will try freezeing from raw.
    Old-styler, crafter and freebie junkie!
    Frogga's Amazing Weight Loss Campaign: Member no.20 since 2/9/07 -- lost 10lb
    :love:Wedding bells 04/10/08 :love:
  • Bobbykins wrote: »
    I don't blanch, just slice them really fine with a bean slicer, stick 'em in a poly bag and straight in the freezer!

I've tried blanching them but they just don't taste right to me once they've been blanched.

How long do you keep them for Bobbykins? I've always blanched mine since I read in Delia (it think it was her) that enzymes in the veg will destroy its quality quite quickly if you don't blanche before you freeze. Stuff I freeze from the allotment can stay unused for months on end. I'd gladly become an ex-blancher if it's not necessary. It's a right pain!
  • Hiya, to reply to your questions:-

No, I don't defrost them to cook them, just chuck em in a pan of boiling water and cook as normal

As to how long I keep them, well, don't know about Delia and the enzymes thing......last week I used some of last YEAR's frozen beans that and been lurking in a dark corner of the freezer!

TBH, I didn't serve them up as a veg, I actually used them to "pad out" some mince, so can't really report on the flavour, BUT, I would say I usually keep them up to about 3 month they are fine to serve just as a veg, after that, I would tend to use them "in" something else like a casserole or a chilli or something like that.

The one word of warning I would give, though, is it really seems to make a difference that they are sliced finely. One time, in the absence of my trusty bean slicer, I just cut them into diamond shaped pieces, about half an inch long and froze them.......they didn't keep half as long or taste anything like as nice - maybe thats the time I should have blanched them!
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Peas
    I am about to pick all the peas in my garden. ( I have buckets of them )For the last 36 years I have blanched them before freezing but this year I feel lazy. Will sit outside in the sunshine and pod them but can't be bothered to blanch them.Can I just freeze them without blanching or will they go off? Anyone successfully just put them straight into the freezer. Help please thank you.
  • I used to grow and freeze our own peas & I never blanched them,just shell, bag and bung in the freezer give the bag a shake from time to time so they don't go into a frozen solid lump and they'll be absolutely fine :)
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi Grunnie

It amused me to see - we have an older thread with exactly the same title :DTo blanche or not to blanche :):rotfl:

It's good for me too as I have french beans growing so I am off to read it now. I'll leave this until you get more input and merge it later on

thanks
    Zip:)

2007_04_arts_blanche.jpg

Please tell me I'm not the only one thinking about the Golden girls now
    :p:rotfl:

images%3Fq%3Dblanch%2Bgolden%2Bgirls%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1036%26bih%3D425%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=299&ei=ggdoTMaTHoGRjAfD1Y3UBA&oei=XwdoTIKdE9OSjAf-wrHUBA&esq=3&page=1&ndsp=14&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0&tx=70&ty=52
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family