Which brand gearbox oil

Options
xyz123
xyz123 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Hi, I have a manual Honda civic from 2002.i need to do gearbox oil (transmission fluid?) change.

Any recommendations as to which brand one to get or whether to get synthetic or not? It's not obviously a high end car but am having well known issue with gearbox noise so just trying to get best oil to see if it helps.

Ta

Comments

• JustinR1979
    Options
    Opieoils will recommend one of you give them details.
    Royal Purple is good if you have a dicky second gear when cold, like every car I've ever owned seems to have!
    Amsoil is good too, see what they say.
    To be fair, if it's original oil, it'll be in shitstate so any oil should transform it :)
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    To be fair, if it's original oil, it'll be in shitstate so any oil should transform it :)
    This. Just change the gearbox oil. Make sure that you get the right viscosity.

If it comes out REALLY horrible, as it almost certainly will, change it again next time you do the engine oil.
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    atrixblue.-MFR-. Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    edited 18 September 2014 at 8:50PM
    Options
    xyz123 wrote: »
    Hi, I have a manual Honda civic from 2002.i need to do gearbox oil (transmission fluid?) change.

Any recommendations as to which brand one to get or whether to get synthetic or not? It's not obviously a high end car but am having well known issue with gearbox noise so just trying to get best oil to see if it helps.

Ta

ive always used Valvoline maxlife check for the grade you need fr that box 2002 on models IIRC changed the fluid specs.
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    On my car, Mercedes C180 manual box, Haynes and the Car's manual just say Automatic transmission fluid?? Is that right for a manual box and if so what type of ATF, there are loads out there?
  • JustinR1979
    Options
    EdGasket wrote: »
    On my car, Mercedes C180 manual box, Haynes and the Car's manual just say Automatic transmission fluid?? Is that right for a manual box and if so what type of ATF, there are loads out there?

Opieoils would tell you.
    Yes some have atf, should be a sticker on the box with the info too.
    My M3 (do I sound like someone else on here?!) had atf in it's manual box :)
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You'll find that Opie is now a bit hit or miss with anything but engine oil. Use the stuff that the manufacturer recommends in the handbook, or what real forum users use. Remember to be specific about year, model and variant, it helps too to know if its a manual or auto.
  • JustinR1979
    Options
    Are you saying they don't offer such good advice now?
    Always been helpful with me, but things change :)
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OP if your Civic has the Honda PG1 gearbox then you need to use MTF94 spec oil, brand is unimportant. It's easily got from LandRover dealers, or ebay of course.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • xyz123
    xyz123 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks. i bought car second hand few years ago and dont have a manual.called my local honda dealership this week but they werent particularly helpful re what type of oil i need, just said we sell our brand one. i asked if its synthetic but they just said its special oil for our gearbox (whatever that means)!

i did know about various different configurations but dont know enough ont echnical side to be able to answer question such as whether the civic has PG1 gearbox??

maybe i will stick to honda brand one even though i am keen to use slightly better oil (obviously not for performance but just in hope of helping with gearbox noise issue)? companies like valvoline has some sort of selector tool based on number plate but i never have full trust in that (for example when i entre registration no on couple of websites i get a different size tyres thatn those fitted in car and as per the sticker inside of the driver door!)

ta
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    "but they just said its special oil for our gearbox (whatever that means)!"

I think it means they want to sell you expensive OEM oil and not tell you what it actually is so that you'll buy an equivalent/superior brand elsewhere for half the price. Try a different dealership, you sometimes get a very helpful person.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure