We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Grow your own dinner 2014

Comments

• Little_Vics
    Little_Vics Posts: 1,516 Forumite
    Annie - those links are amazing. Thank you.
  • lemonjelly
    lemonjelly Posts: 8,014 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I've just repotted my tomatoes.

Didn't expect them to sprout so quickly. Thought they'd last in the trays til the move, but they're 2+ weeks ahead of where I'd expect. :o

Debated planting lettuce, & decided to give it until next weekend for that.
    It's getting harder & harder to keep the government in the manner to which they have become accustomed.
  • Badrick
    Badrick Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Re. the slug barrier of pennies, they probably won't work because the old coins are copper alloy and the newer coins are iron that's been copper plated.
    What are 'bronze' coins made from?
    Oh, and had pretty good germination from last years part used seed packets of cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers, just kept em in the fridge. :cool:
    That's saved a few quid. :money:
    Mark Steyn has stated, "In the UK, everything is policed except crime."
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Wow thats all great information Annie and some interesting evening reading for me.

The aubergines I forgot are whats on my windowsill indoors.
    I'll get everything back in again tomorrow and make some space in our spare room for them all. Hopefully that will give them a fighting chance, theyre out in a mini plastic greenhouse at the moment but I'd like to try to redeem my errors.

Sown some wild rocket and radishes today, tomorrow's plan is some spinach if I can find a suitable vessel for them.
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Little_Vics
    I've just had a little potter outside, and to my shock it looks like I'm going to have a flowering quince tree on my hands for the first time. What do I do?!
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've just had a little potter outside, and to my shock it looks like I'm going to have a flowering quince tree on my hands for the first time. What do I do?!

Don't they look absolutely lovely? Congratulations! I don't remember if the are self-fertile but others might be able to tell you. You might get some quinces to add to your jellies ;) depending on the variety. We have an ornamental shrub quince and we still get some fruit from it.
    Our cherry and pear tree blossoms are absolutely stunning this year!
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • Little_Vics
    oh pants, I'm going to have to learn how to make jellies now aren't I? (goes off to google quince recipes.....)
  • You could do chutneys as well Little Vics!

My cucumbers and plum tomatoes are growing really quickly - and my peppers have come up at last :) I put everything (except beans, which are not up yet anyway) in plugs to start off so I need to go in search of a load of small pots to pot them on into as they're looking quite big for the plugs now.

I'm surprised at how everything has germinated and now I've got way more plants than I'll be able to fit in my plot. Thankfully I've established a mini barter economy with my neighbour so she'll home some of my excess plants and I'll make use of the extra eggs from her chickens :)

It's not looking like it'll be a good weekend for garden work, so I'll be taking it easy - my one job is to prune the plum tree, which I don't want to leave any longer.
    Common sense?...There's nothing common about sense!
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    oh pants, I'm going to have to learn how to make jellies now aren't I? (goes off to google quince recipes.....)

Never had a quince tree but according to the RHS you should have fed and mulched it by now, and keep well watered in dry spells.

Jellies are easy to make, you'll do it OK.
    Step by step guide with pictures http://www.pickyourown.org/quince-jam-recipe.php

Today I've been doing the sad/tiny/tatty front garden, so flowers only there, except for a few broad beans which are just showing a few flower buds. Back ache stopped play so will leave the other half for now and do some armchair gardening instead and shuffle my boot box of seeds again.
  • Little_Vics
    you should know me well enough to know that I just shoved it in the ground and prayed! I'll water it if it ever stops raining though, but as for mulching??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure